Recent content by IrishMike

  1. I

    TKR I’m having “Irish Twins”, the 2nd (LTKR) is due 9th Sept 2014

    @charmed-life thanks for your message; I am looking forward to getting on the road when/if it ever stops raining! I expect to be road cycling in the next couple of weeks - I will keep you updated. @skigirl I haven't given up drinking entirely, just more selective when and what I drink. I am...
  2. I

    TKR I’m having “Irish Twins”, the 2nd (LTKR) is due 9th Sept 2014

    Hi all, I have not updated my recovery since last May. I don't have too much to report: I go to the gym 3 morning a week before work and work my whole body, mainly strength work etc. I spin on my turbo trainer 3 evening a week - same days as the gym. This means that I can rest/recover on...
  3. I

    TKR Canadian Girl's Journey

    @71Beetle Hi Lisa, I am going to see my physio tomorrow, Thursday, for the 1st time since December. Like you, I felt that I was spending too much money (which I can't/don't want to afford). I also felt that every time I went to see him, he would fix one thing but something else would go wrong...
  4. I

    TKR Canadian Girl's Journey

    @71Beetle Congrats on 25 years married and I am pleased that things are positive for you. I generally leave a monthly update because there is little to report besides small niggles etc. My life is a lot better since my 2 TKR's but I have to work hard it. I gave my self the target of being...
  5. I

    TKR 4½ years later^

    @50something I was off my meds a long time, about 4 weeks, before I went to the gym etc. I ensured that I was comfortable before I started doing any "formal" gym work. I came off the drugs quite quickly because I rested, iced and did some stretches etc. (I believe that was the reason). I got a...
  6. I

    TKR I’m having “Irish Twins”, the 2nd (LTKR) is due 9th Sept 2014

    @50something I know where you are coming from - been there, done that etc. etc. I have decided to take a week off from any exercise just to have a rest, I will start again on Monday with a new fitness programme. Trust me being in pain after exercising too much will slow down your road to...
  7. I

    TKR I’m having “Irish Twins”, the 2nd (LTKR) is due 9th Sept 2014

    @referee54 I agree with you totally, I am a lot younger now (with my new knees) than I was a few years ago. It also helps having 8 & 10 year old daughters.... @skigirl a belated happy birthday for Friday - keep being active and continue to stay young! @Jamie Smart training is the way to go. I...
  8. I

    TKR I’m having “Irish Twins”, the 2nd (LTKR) is due 9th Sept 2014

    @referee54 @skigirl I agree with your comments. I find it very difficult to make time for the gym so tend to go at 6:30 am before work and try to get as much into the session as I can. I always (used to) work at 60-80% of my body weight but do a lot of reps, the effect was still the same, sore...
  9. I

    TKR I’m having “Irish Twins”, the 2nd (LTKR) is due 9th Sept 2014

    Month 7 & 8 (9 March to 7 May) Hi all, I haven't posted for a while because I was having a couple of niggles with both my knees. My knees were getting sore & stiff after I was going to the gym (I know that I tend to overdo it due to my enthusiasm and impatience on getting my knees "sorted"...
  10. I

    How long should I continue to exercise after TKR?

    @Suziekettles I agree with @SuperSnapper if you are able it is good to do some form of exercise, does not have to be formal, any form of exercise that you enjoy should help. In my case, I made a "life choice" to get fit and try to stay fit when I knew that I was going to have both knees removed...
  11. I

    TKR I’m having “Irish Twins”, the 2nd (LTKR) is due 9th Sept 2014

    Month 6 (9 February to 8 March) This has been a really good month for my recovery. My ROM is back to where it should be My strength is also back My knee still gets stiff but not too often I still haven't gone back to my physio, but I will make an appointment soon for a rub down & general...
  12. I

    TKR IrishMike's Recovery Record No. 1 ready for No.2

    @Holly thanks for your comments, I read back my comments (page 1, comment #3 & 5) and I was walking 6 & 8 km per day but I found that my knee became sore after 4 or 5 km so I moved to the gym where I could control my exercises better and be more specific with areas that I train also. It worked...
  13. I

    TKR IrishMike's Recovery Record No. 1 ready for No.2

    @referee54, @Holly Thanks for your comments, although I am guessing that you are replying to my left knee page which I posted on Friday.... Holly, I don't walk as an exercise because I find that the length of time required to have a good walk adversely effects my knee i.e. can make it sore...
  14. I

    TKR I’m having “Irish Twins”, the 2nd (LTKR) is due 9th Sept 2014

    Month 4 & 5 (14 December to 8 February) It has been a frustrating couple of months: My ROM started to reduce! My knee seemed to be getting stiff My knee started to be slightly uncomfortable after sessions in the gym Christmas festivities etc. were taking up a lot of my time - good on one hand...
  15. I

    TKR IrishMike's Recovery Record No. 1 ready for No.2

    @referee54 Tim C. Your comments made me check and I fall short of touching my bum by about 2/3 inches - sorry to get you so excited! I am still very pleased with my ROM though. Mike
Back
Top Bottom