Guest viewing is limited

TKR IrishMike's Recovery Record No. 1 ready for No.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
@marmora

No bank holiday for me, I'm working all weekend to get ahead for the period when I am off work!

Family are going down to Kerry for the weekend to the music festival in Cahirciveen, my wife is from Cahirciveen. We normally stay on Valentia Island with family which is a great place - for some reason you can still enjoy the rain when you are walking by the sea.

I am going to take a rest from the leg work in the gym to see if there is any improvement before I see Ray Moran. I was hoping to get my left leg as strong as possible before my op but I will follow my right knee - wherever it takes me!

Enjoy your weekend

Mike
 
Best of luck for your LTKR early next month. The timing of your TKRs is much like mine was. Fortunately the second time around was a bit easier for me since the damage to my right knee wasn't as severe as what the surgeon found with my left. You have done very well and since you know the "drill" it should work out just fine.
 
Month 7 - Week 26 to 29 (14 July - 10 August)

This has been a funny month for my knee - routine totally out of the window!

Went on two weeks holiday to Spain, great time etc. - walked a lot and messed about in the swimming pool/sea.
Towards the end of my holiday, my knee started to become uncomfortable especially above the knee.

Went to my physio and started a series of "dry needling" of my tendon/ligament that runs from my quads over my knee cap and also the area to the right of my knee. I am starting to get a scraping sound when I bend my knee.

The area above my knee is full of scare tissue that needs to be broken down - this will be my task for the next 4 week up to my LTKR in September.

I am still trying to go to the gym 3 times a week (time/family permitting) but have stopped doing any leg strengthening work - I am still stretching and doing core and some resistance training.

I believe that when I get rid of the scare tissue, my right knee will be very happy and will be able to join the world of normal knees again - hopefully this will happen soon so that I can "prepare" my left leg for its new adventure in September.

The count down has now started, I have had my pre - op medical and I will be meeting my consultant on 25 August.

Mike
 
:hi: @IrishMike
Good to read your update. The scraping sound from over the knee doesn't sound good -hopefully the dry needling will bring some improvement.
Scar tissue can be a real hinderance and stop flexion with your work with your PT to break this down, your RTKR should be ready for the LTKR in September.

I came home from Caritas and doing my at home PT - but will see my own PT for a session on Wednesday. Feel my Flexion isn't what it should be at this stage, so want to get that right.

Take acre and September is just around e corner.
Cathie:flwrysmile:

​
 
@marmora

I was at the physio this morning before I went to work, we worked on the area above my knee - dry needling etc.. hopefully I will see some more improvements over the coming days; I am going back to him again on Thursday morning.

It must be great to be back home after 3 weeks in hospital & Caritas; hopefully you are being taken care of by your family. Don't worry about flexion, that will all come in good time as you heal - you don't know what the OS "damaged" while he/she operated on your knee; the hidden bits can take a while to sort out and can affect your short term recovery; long term your flexion will come in leaps and bounds.

I found the first couple of weeks at home quite difficult because I had to get used to doing it on my own without the medical support from the hospital; I also started getting back into the household tasks, such as, cooking meals for the girls etc. Life goes on and it is difficult to sit back and do nothing...

Take it easy

Mike
 
@IrishMike
Good to hear from you. And yes life back in the real world has had some adjustments and doing a little more around the house each day.
Going for 3 twenty minutes walks / day. And the rain has been holding off look enough to be able to get out.

Thanks for the words on ROM and taking it slowly, as everyone is different. Seeing my PT tomorrow morning, so will be good to be a bit more challenged.

Hard to take it slow and can be a bit frustrating at times, but patience is becoming my new mantra!

Take care
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Month 8 - Week 30 to 33 (11 August - 7 September)

I am now at the stage of my knee is sort of doing o.k but I still have a few irritations.

I visited my OS, prior to my next op - TLKR, and he said that my right knee was structurally sound etc.

I am working with my physio to stretch my adductors (inside of thigh), my quads and my scar tissue (above the knee) - we believe that these boys may be causing me discomfort in my knee; lets hope that he is correct.

I still try to go to the gym 3 times a week to help build up my strength etc.

I am now in count down mode for my LTKR next Tuesday, 9th September, my right knee can have a well deserved rest for a few weeks!

Hopefully, I am now at the stage of "everything will sort itself out over time" - watch this space.

Take care

Mike
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@IrishMike

Hello Mike,

You seem to be well prepared and right on track for your LTKR next Tuesday.

You've been working hard at your RTKR recovery .

Best of luck for next Tuesday.
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@marmora

Cathie,

Thanks very much for your comments. To be honest, I am now at the stage now that I want to get the operation over and "enjoy" the fun of recovery...

I want to be comfortable for Christmas (that was always my plan) and if my right knee is my guide I may be lucky!

Hope you are going well with your rehab and are enjoying our Indian summer; I haven't had many opportunities to check out your blog - next week I should have plenty of time!

Look after yourself

Mike
 
@IrishMike

Hi Mike,

Waiting for the micro to 'ping' for my baked potato, so catching up on BoneSmart.

Loving our Indian summer and after lunch heading out for second walk of the day.
As you know living here tomorrow could be a completely different story.

This time next week you will be 2 days post-op. :egypdance:

Having Christmas as a goal is a very good idea.
With my surgery in July, mine is the October Bank Holiday weekend.


Take care and wishing you again all the best for next Tuesday.
Cathie :flwrysmile:

Ps. At the moment they are installing the 'water meters' for every house on our road today, running the taps will never be the same again !:rotfl:
 
Nothing to report, my right knee is taking a break and enjoying all the meds it receives along with my new left knee.

I am pleased that I waited 8 months before my LTKR because you need a strong leg to push when you stand up etc. It must be very tough doing both knees at the same time.
 
Month 9 October

My right knee has been doing most of the work for the last month with my Left knee is in recovery mode. My knee is starting to get a little tender and is sore in places; the issues that I had before are still there but hopefully when my left knee catches up, my right knee will start to behave - time will tell...

Mike
 
Month 10 & 11 November/December

My right knee has generally been o.k but I still have some discomfort under my knee cap. I am assuming that it is related to my left knee being new and still needing extra support.

I will hang in there and see where the next couple of months take me.

Mike
 
I am willing to bet that the nonsurgical knee is a little tired from helping out the new one---ans soon the shoe will be on the other foot, so to speak---but the new knee will be much better at helping and will not be so cranky!
 
1st anniversary of my new right knee tomorrow!

I am able to fully bend my knee, i.e hold my ankle and pull my foot up to my bum! (edit 2/3 inches from my bum) - which I couldn't do before the op.
It is still a little numb behind the knee cap and I hear a scrapping sound when I bend my knee or straighten it, but there is no pain or discomfort.

I feel that it is a lot stronger now than before the operation - I am looking forward to my left knee settling down so that I can enjoy both my new knees fully.....

@referee54 Tim C. you are right or were (sorry for the delayed reply!) but everything seems to be moving in the right direction.

Take care

Mike
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@referee54 Tim C.

Your comments made me check and I fall short of touching my bum by about 2/3 inches - sorry to get you so excited!

I am still very pleased with my ROM though.

Mike
 
Wow....what a great report!!! So glad you took time to post!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom