Recent content by Boneygirl

  1. Boneygirl

    THR Broken femur during THR

    Hi @missX1, I had almost the identical fracture when I had my THR in May. I was told to be weight bearing from the outset but it was very painful. I have a healthcare back ground and did some research and found that it does happen in about 1.6% of operations and some of the risk factors include...
  2. Boneygirl

    THR Home and Feeling Great!

    It sounds as if you are very much on track. I like your sensible decisions (stay at home with the pups). I think prioritizing our own needs for a good recovery is very hard. You set a great example, thank you> hugs being sent by the sackful.
  3. Boneygirl

    THR One day at a time

    There is progress. On Friday (week 5) we packed the bed from the main floor and I moved into the guest bedroom. I can manage going up the stairs one step at a time and walking down nearly normally, albeit clinging to the railings. The walks on one cane are 15-20mins several times a day. And... I...
  4. Boneygirl

    THR One day at a time

    Question about crutches, canes and automobiles. I am entering week 6 after LTHR and wiring of femur. I am small and was pretty fit before surgery. I am feeling that my mobility is less than it should be. I can walk with one crutch but if I move to a cane I waddle terribly and no cane or crutch...
  5. Boneygirl

    THR One day at a time

    Thanks @AnnieRose2 for the food advice. I am all over that salad! It will be an omelette for lunch with spinach salad today! I notice that my stamina has increased as I am managing short walks on one crutch of about 20-30 minutes, quite comfortably (week 5 tomorrow). I always ice and elevate...
  6. Boneygirl

    THR Depression following THR

    @lihorty Welcome to the place where you will meet people who understand and will share their journeys and support you. I wanted to pick up one something you said about ‘missing the pain’. I can understand that living with paint who is a constant companion for ten years is a long time. The sudden...
  7. Boneygirl

    THR One day at a time

    So after all that it's a down day. No idea why. So frustrating. The sunshines and I just want to be on my main floor bed and watch the world go by. In some ways it gives me more respect for this bod. It is telling me something. I am still doing too much... I shall take Jack and retire to attend...
  8. Boneygirl

    THR RSC's recovery thread

    Inspirational! Thank you for sharing
  9. Boneygirl

    THR One day at a time

    Hi @Mojo333 and @luvsibes Yes, sleep. Nice to know I am not alone. Divine providence that it was a 3am wakening Saturday and a 4am today. I guess we just find our way. I do think the art of napping is a very underrated skill. It truly is a life-saver for me. It can be anywhere from 10 minutes to...
  10. Boneygirl

    THR One day at a time

    As my husband trotted up the stairs last night his last words were ‘I hope you sleep well’. Well of course I wish the same but when I said ‘I expect I will wake at 3am’, he pointed out that I did this before surgery. True. So I guess the bonus is that I don’t face the commute to town and can nap...
  11. Boneygirl

    THR THR - 2 years I think

    Hi @Ursula (and Marlene) I know the feel of the first hospital shower and then the kitchen sink hair wash. Heaven! The first week at home I made do with a packet of large wet wipes for armpits and gribbly bits and it worked a treat. I had a little bag of my wash things in the main floor...
  12. Boneygirl

    THR One day at a time

    Oh it is journey! It is another start the day at 3am but that’s fine as there is time to nap in the day. You are right about the infirm part and the loss of activity and independence. On a good day I see it for what it is and reduce my expectations but when I am tired the frustration and pity...
  13. Boneygirl

    THR One day at a time

    Thanks @Mojo333 the berries and grapes decorate the fridge and counter...but with ice-cream! Great idea.Thanks.
  14. Boneygirl

    THR One day at a time

    Oh and I forgot to mention that I saw my family physician today. He is one of a kind and couldn’t believe the bad luck of the femur. He is always my voice of reason. We looked at my discharge blood work and read a Hb of 9.1 that had been 13.6 pre-op. That would, in part explain the fatigue, and...
  15. Boneygirl

    THR One day at a time

    Thank you @luvsibes - Jack is a boy. He was a rescue pup and we had a very bumpy first year and then he realized we were his pack and have not looked back. He loves nothing more than a huge cuddle, straddled across my lap. This was not possible until a couple of days ago (being 85lbs) but now...
Back
Top Bottom