Guest viewing is limited

THR One day at a time

I think it's very normal...and also normal to be getting impatient at this point in recovery in feeling progress seems to have hit a wall.
It is still early on for having a Hip replaced not to mention the additional wiring.
You can't make it be ready to do something it isn't ready to do, and my feeling is it just isn't ready to walk solo yet.
I notice that my stamina has increased as I am managing short walks on one crutch of about 20-30 minutes, quite comfortably (week 5 tomorrow)
My thought is, that seems like a long period at one time.
Trying to see how long or far you can go just pushes it past where it needs to be right now.
You could try two or three ten minute walks spread out some.
Lots of intermittent walking better than pushing with longer walks.
Just a thought...

Good for you for icing it up.
I was told after my recovery when things seemed stymied...you wouldn't try to walk fifteen minutes on a broken leg one month after, would you?
It kind of put things in perspective for me.

You WILL get there...unfortunately it's just going to take time.
I think you are doing wonderfully.
Hope today is a Better Day!
 
Good Morning Boneygirl
Great question you ask about our mobility. Like you, I'm small and was pretty fit. I'm walking my best in the house unassisted, started using a cane for more distance (not much beyond a block) and a bit wobbly with the cane, and still using the walker in the night for the bathroom trips for safety. I also feel like I want more and have to hold myself back. I'll be interested in experts' and members' responses.

Wishing you a good day and healing energy. Give Jack a big woo and hug from Togo!
 
There is progress. On Friday (week 5) we packed the bed from the main floor and I moved into the guest bedroom. I can manage going up the stairs one step at a time and walking down nearly normally, albeit clinging to the railings. The walks on one cane are 15-20mins several times a day. And... I got down on my kneeling pad today and did a little weeding. That was such a boost! Jack was watchful but after 20 minutes he plonked himself between me and my trowel time to nap.

I think my iron levels must be coming up as the breathlessness is much less. I now want to try and start getting fit. I feel as if I have done nothing in the cardiovascular department for weeks! Maybe I need to be more patient...
 
I feel as if I have done nothing in the cardiovascular department for weeks! Maybe I need to be more patient...

I agree you should just give it a bit longer.
A little over a month.
You can improve whatever deficit you feel you have after a little more healing on all that trauma.

Keep the faith!
 
Hello @Boneygirl! It's good to hear from you and see your progress. I'm glad your iron levels are stabilizing. I'm impressed that you can bend onto the ground to garden! You are about a month ahead of me and that's inspiring.

I agree about feeling a lack of cardio exercise. I feel a general lack of exercise so hope today at my post-op appt. I get released for outpatient PT and can amp it up a bit. I know slow and steady is what we need and will be compliant but I'm so ready for next steps!

I'm sure Jack is glad to see mom moving around more and in the outdoors. Give him a hug and tummy rub for me and Togo!:puppysmooze:
 
On Friday (week 5) we packed the bed from the main floor and I moved into the guest bedroom. I

I loved those milestones of recovery. Losing recovery aids one by one. Moving into your real bed instead of a recliner or make-shift patient space you set up pre-op.

You're bold, I was afraid to get on my knees that early on. I don't know why, I guess I worried I'd dislocate my prosthetic or something silly like that, lol. I'm happy you were able to do something you love....puttering in your garden. I think your energy reserve will continue to build as your mobility increases.
Take it slow.....you're doing well! A great week to you!
@Boneygirl
 
Back
Top Bottom