Guest viewing is limited

THR One day at a time

Hello Boneygirl
I would love to know more about your research on pain. My journey has been with fibromyalgia for years and I believe I have pretty much put in in remission (except right after surgery when everything was on fire!) with energy medicine work. This hip thing began about 4 years for me too. I was never the athlete you have been, but active with yoga, walking, dance, etc. I always think I can fix myself naturally but went through the first year seeing my yoga practice change where I could not get on and off the floor nor sit in lotus. I kept thinking I could adapt and got into the "I used to" mind-set and "I'm getting old". Finally, I did get a diagnosis, got into a therapy pool and took certification to teach adaptive/chair yoga. It's has been hard to accept these changes and not judge myself as the body changes. My goal is to be able to sit on the floor with my dog and do mat yoga again! I'm enjoying teaching the chair yoga to others; it's almost like being a social worker and just as rewarding! My students average age 50-93 and many were yogis earlier in life and some just need to move in their wheelchairs and breathe!

I love Jack! He's beautiful. Togo likes his spots as he's a spotted husky.

Sending healing energy your way!
 
Thanks @Mojo333 the berries and grapes decorate the fridge and counter...but with ice-cream! Great idea.Thanks.
 
:) Hope you are doing well.
I would imagine someone who is accustomed to being very active might be having a hard time feeling so "infirmed", at least I certainly did.
All temporary, thank goodness!
Hope today is a Good Day for you!:ok:
 
Oh it is journey! It is another start the day at 3am but that’s fine as there is time to nap in the day. You are right about the infirm part and the loss of activity and independence. On a good day I see it for what it is and reduce my expectations but when I am tired the frustration and pity can take over :sad: I do fing keeping a journal helps me see where I came from.. thank you for encouragement. So glad to have found the hipsters.:loveshwr:
 
I didn't sleep all night for quite a long time...but then that was Pre hip surgery.
All of this Will be worth it.
 
Mojo333
Yes, pre-surgery I was like a rotisserie chicken all night trying to find a sleep position and ending up in the living room sitting up for the last few hours of sleep. I have less pain now and am on my back all night except to get up to pee which I can do independently now. Still out of bed and sitting up in the early a.m. to sleep. Hubby is now getting more rest as we go one day at a time.

Boneygirl
I love your reminders about "one day at a time". You are a week ahead of me in recovery and I agree about the periodic pouts of balancing expectations with the present moment. I had a period of pity yesterday missing all the activity with my dog which I know will be even better eventually (maybe even agility classes with him!) I like the journal idea also. I have kept a log of my P/T exercise noting improvements in reps, strength, and flexibility.

Thanks for your tips, updates, and support from everyone. I hope this day is another step forward today.:kittykiss:
 
As my husband trotted up the stairs last night his last words were ‘I hope you sleep well’. Well of course I wish the same but when I said ‘I expect I will wake at 3am’, he pointed out that I did this before surgery. True. So I guess the bonus is that I don’t face the commute to town and can nap with impunity. I have found that my sleep quality in those hours prior to 3am is usually good and replenishing. The same for the naps.

So there is so much focus on the importance of good sleep these days and the damage we do to our bodies with lack of sleep BUT... how come the birds manage on these reduced hours in the summer? I mean I hear them as I nod off around 10pm and there they are just six hours later chirping with the early morning chorus. It definitely took some of the pressure off me
 
I hesitate to say, that I didn't achieve the go to bed and stay until morning thing until around three months post op.:unsure:
I'm sure part of it was just sleep cycle and inability to figure how I could sleep comfortably.
I HAD to sleep when I could, which made me a napper, for sure.
But your DH is right...and I didn't sleep at all it seems pre-op!
Everyone is different so you can beat my record.:tada:

Good news is, I do sleep all night now.
Hang in there and hope your weekend is peaceful!
 
I came to my computer this morning thinking about checking on sleep patterns! There you were, Boneygirl expressing exactly what I was thinking! I love the synchronicity I have found on this forum.

I believe I posted somewhere that I was a rotisserie chicken at night pre-surgery. I kept hubby up all night the past year as I tossed and turned moving pillows around our queen size bed. There isn't another bedroom to go to so I'd end up sitting up in the living room for the last hours of the night. I actually sleep well in my favorite chair with ottoman. The first week after surgery, I woke on the hour to move and pee and needed his full assistance. We were both sleep deprived and he reminded me then, as did your hubby, it's nothing new. I was becoming concerned for him as he has post-concussion syndrome (former downhill black diamond skier who wore a helmet - but) with no real cognitive impairment but easily fatigued. He was napping more than me that first week!

I can now get up independently at night. I also am awake at 3ish and just can't find a position to lie in. I keep trying to roll onto my right (non-surgery) side with the pillow between my legs which was ok pre-op. The strain on the left hip is not comfortable. I can only be on my back so long. So, in to the living room for the next couple of hours. Along this journey, the right shoulder has become a challenge as sleeping on it pre-op was not a natural position. It hurts now with all the pushing on it to transfer etc. My PT is unofficially helping with it as well. You get one body part in order and another wants to challenge you!

Thanks Mojo333 for the tip on the 3 month marker for more comfort and better sleep. Another good goal and something to look forward to.
 
Hi @Mojo333 and @luvsibes
Yes, sleep. Nice to know I am not alone. Divine providence that it was a 3am wakening Saturday and a 4am today. I guess we just find our way. I do think the art of napping is a very underrated skill. It truly is a life-saver for me. It can be anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour, usually no longer. I am much better at knowing when I need one and saying so too! Of course Jack, the main care, adores this new habit as most dogs seem to spend a good 80% of their lives napping

I find my sleep changes again on the fall equinox, around later October. I them seem to need about 8-10 hours and struggle to get up for those 5:30am starts and swim (and it is soooo cold in Canada!). It is like clockwork. I searched some of the autoimmune literature and found this was a common thread. People with MS (I have steric autoimmune) have more flares in spring and fall. So I am trying, always trying, just to go with the flow, accept it, living one day at a time.

I wish you replenishing and healing sleep, wherever that may take place
 
It will come...especially in a few months when you really get that deep healing behind you and figure out that you can go and do without the horrid hip pain.
You will be unstoppable.
Hope your day is sweet.:yahoo:
 
Good Morning. Hey Boneygirl
I woke at 4 am today also but moved to the living room and slept sitting up for a couple of hours. This has been going on for some months now. Naps are wonderful for me too.

We are moving forward one step and one day at a time. Sending healing energy to all. Have a lovely Sunday!
 
So after all that it's a down day. No idea why. So frustrating. The sunshines and I just want to be on my main floor bed and watch the world go by. In some ways it gives me more respect for this bod. It is telling me something. I am still doing too much... I shall take Jack and retire to attend to it. Week 4 and 3 days. Still needing a crutch...still very uncomfortable.. :bored:
 
You are at the point I called the one month slump. After some pretty dramatic progress at 4 weeks out I felt like nothing was happening. In truth a whole lot is happening. Soft tissues and muscles are easing and strength starts to build. You will soon be off that crutch but don't worry about when. Rest is good - it allows you to heal.
 
I'm sorry to hear that you are having a down day. The body does tell us when we need to rest. I understand the "bored" feeling, too. Glad Jack can be there for you. Togo is a comfort too! Take care, rest, and one day at a time!
 
Oh and I forgot to mention that I saw my family physician today. He is one of a kind and couldn’t believe the bad luck of the femur. He is always my voice of reason. We looked at my discharge blood work and read a Hb of 9.1 that had been 13.6 pre-op. That would, in part explain the fatigue, and shortness of breath when I walk and talk(!). I popped/hopped to the pharmacy next door and purchased a a complex iron supplement. Any advice regarding diet? My appetite is not good as per norm...

Hi@ boneygirl. Whenever I take iron pills, I get get colon issues. Not everybody does.
In the beginning, my protein source was eggs , eggs and eggs, and Greek yogurt.
Quinoa , beans, chick peas, in a green salad is a healthy meal.
I found the more I moved around , my shortness of breath got less.
I set my phone alarm and moved every hour.....walked down the hall and around the kitchen. I have a small house.
As the days progressed and I got stronger , I added 1 or 2 exercises to my walk.
I worked on my balance all the time..just stood in front of counter , weight bearing on both legs..and lifted my hands up.
Now I’m balancing on affected leg..this is my small victory.
I had a Home PT and he gave me this advice.., don’t do anything that hurts.
Good luck.
Happy healing thoughts.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @AnnieRose2 for the food advice. I am all over that salad! It will be an omelette for lunch with spinach salad today! I notice that my stamina has increased as I am managing short walks on one crutch of about 20-30 minutes, quite comfortably (week 5 tomorrow). I always ice and elevate when I return. Appreciate the support.
 
Question about crutches, canes and automobiles.

I am entering week 6 after LTHR and wiring of femur. I am small and was pretty fit before surgery. I am feeling that my mobility is less than it should be. I can walk with one crutch but if I move to a cane I waddle terribly and no cane or crutch is plain embarrassing and impossible unless I sort of shuffle.

Normal? How long before I don’t need these demonsticks (thanks @Achilles)..sort of one average?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom