Recent content by Atkinson8

  1. A

    TKR 12 weeks post op

    I started unable to rotate fully with a raised seat, then worked with that-- only after comfortably pedaling "normally" was it suggested that I lower the seat. Now, I start with the seat comfortable, then as things get moving, I lower the seat. Today I skipped the whole thing, and I'm sorry I did!
  2. A

    TKR Right knee rehab

    I'm glad I had 12 weeks before returning to full time work! With my partial knee, I recall going back at 6 weeks and it was way too early, so having the summer to regroup was a blessing. That being said, it's exhausting, and by the end of the day I'm ready to call it a day. I set an alarm, but...
  3. A

    TKR Right knee rehab

    Great, thank you! I'm packing the bandage and ice pack for day one back at work. Yesterday I reminded myself yet again that it's still not difficult to overdo it. I did. So last night was uncomfortable, and ice again was the constant companion. I realize that because I appear functional, people...
  4. A

    TKR Right knee rehab

    Thanks EllieDimples - I also have about an hour commute, and exiting the car isn't as graceful as I'd like; but once I get moving, look out! I'll have to find the opportunity to elevate, although right now I think I'll just grab the ice and put the leg up when I get home. The independence is so...
  5. A

    TKR Right knee rehab

    I went for the 12 week check-in with my surgeon: he is totally impressed with how good the scar looks, and praised the robot technology. I still have some pesky sutures trying to break through in two areas, but they're not infected, and he said it could take a while for them to either surface...
  6. A

    TKR 70somethingsusa in recovery

    Happy anniversary, indeed! Just knowing and "feeling" the improved bending is such a good feeling. I couldn't do full circle on a bike pedal for weeks, then one day--- there it was (a lot was mind over matter for me). Your stairs progress is inspiring! Well done, keep going, and I'm working...
  7. A

    TKR 5 weeks post op, knee still stiff and aching

    For driving, put the seat back as far as it will go when you get in the car--- bending the knee for me is often the hardest part of getting in a car. Then, of course, move the seat back where you can function. With right knee, I waited to get the okay from my surgeon, who seemed surprised at my...
  8. A

    TKR Not Again

    I'm 12 weeks post-op and still don't sleep through the night. I'm okay until about 2am, then go get an ice pack, then I'm awake. It's better than waking 4 or 5 times like before, but it would be nice to have 6 hours anyway. I figure it will happen. . .
  9. A

    TKR Right knee rehab

    Yes, thank you. I woke up last night (it seems to when I feel the most discomfort, still) and realized that now I know what everyone means by "log leg" - a term I've seen on many posts. A perfect description for my leg that seems to work so well by day, then just quits moving, bending, and...
  10. A

    TKR Right knee rehab

    Tomorrow I start back to work - mostly meetings, but it's back! I do look forward to it, and my energy is good, walking is fine, stairs--- work in progress. I anticipate I'll be tired, sore, swollen, and more for the first few weeks. I've been walking a lot, easily on paved surfaces, and doing...
  11. A

    TKR Anyone use antibiotics for Dental Care?

    I was told no dental work, even cleaning until 3 months after surgery - of course I learned this as I sat in the hygienist's chair in July, only 6 weeks out. So--- I rescheduled, then OS says no need for antibiotics, but I think the dentist has his/her own policy on that.
  12. A

    TKR Rom

    At 4 weeks I don't think I was at 90 degrees, I kept reading the articles here about mythbusting, etc. Now, at almost 12 weeks I'm at 112 on my own, and 120 with a lot of push from my PT. He's pleased, I'm dealing with stairs much better, and I'm being discharged after 2 more sessions. As I...
  13. A

    TKR 5 weeks post op, knee still stiff and aching

    I often wanted to cancel my PT sessions due to fear of the anticipated (and very real) discomfort. I didn't, but learned to speak honestly. For example, I would say that I felt frustrated, and he listened. I said when I felt down, and he listened. Over time (11 weeks now), we're more in sync and...
  14. A

    TKR Ma Dudd’s ongoing rtkr rollercoaster

    At almost 12 weeks, I find I'm super sensitive about anything (except for PT) touching my knee or any area surrounding it. I jump in defense, even if it doesn't hurt. It's odd, but instinctive. Even at night, I ice, and when the ice pack has warmed, I still place it on my knee area as a...
  15. A

    TKR TKR Right Recovery and losing my right mind

    I sounds like you're doing quite well. I'm 11 weeks post-op and just reached 110 on my own - which is quite an improvement, but took time (well, 11 weeks). Good for you for speaking up - it's not easy.
Back
Top Bottom