TKR 5 weeks post op, knee still stiff and aching

Mine was 7/30 and I'm only at about 67 degrees, but I've been here before and feel confident that reducing the swelling (icing/elevation) and gentle bending efforts will get me proper ROM. "Exercising" will increase swelling. No kidding, my last surgery I'd do a gentle bend 5x day and at 3 weeks I passed 90 degrees ROM.
 
I read somewhere that knee replacement surgery is one of the most painful major surgeries to recover from and the first weeks are hellish. Take onboard all the great advice on here which often clashes with what your doctor and therapists will tell you re exercising and getting ROM. Make sure to read the myth section in the links you’ve been given. TRUST the info here as it’s from people who have gone through and are going through the same recovery process as you. We’ve “ walked (limped/hobbled) in your shoes.
Please don’t worry about getting your staples out my experience was that it didn’t hurt and it felt so much better afterwards. Good luck it’s hard right now but so worth it.
 
I think you are on the right track now. In our society resting is not encouraged, we always want to do something! I am guilty of this myself, yesterday I was reading a really interesting book and berating myself at the same time for not “doing something”.

I think if you slow everything down and just rest andelevate your knees and ice them you will see adifference. Try it for three days ! Just spend the majority of the day on the couch or in bed with your legs up on three pillows. At the end of that time if you see and feel a difference you will have your answer. I always try to do something every day, when I finally surrendered to surgery and the need to rest, I could see the difference.
 
Had my LTKR on August 2nd , had the dead leg thing until last night when I just lifted it naturally into bed , I was so delighted but think I've pulled something doing it as my thigh and knee feels very tight today .
I'm still struggling to do the exercises but I'm not fretting about that now I'm sure it will all come back naturally.
 
It's not all bad -- my PT was actually better than the home exercises the surgeon gave me. I find it uncomfortable and hard work, but not nearly as bad as I had feared going into it. I am lucky that my therapist listen to me when I tell her things cause pain and recognizes that it is not an all forward at all costs plan. Hoping you get a good therapist as well. I can tell you there is a marked improvement around 2 weeks that should see you feeling more positive.
 
Oh good, Susiep, the log leg thing is interesting isn’t it; suddenly, the leg remembers how to lift again! And, I think we’ve all been surprised when we suddenly discover we’ve pulled a muscle, or used one that wasn’t yet awake and now is. Later, like most of us, you might end up joining the ODIC, the OverDidIt Club. It’s hard not to, as you begin trying to do more, it’s inevitable, it seems, to slightly overdo things, to discover later that your knee responds in a back-talking way! Just remember to go back to ice and elevation! Hang in there!
 
Hi @Suziep
Your in the depths of the very hard part of this recovery. Ice as much as you can and just try and surrender to the doing nothing for a little while. I found that part very tough,for about 2-3 weeks all I did was ice,elevate and lay in bed. I only got up to use the bathroom and eat meals and I always used the crutches to get around.I remember being so surprised that I couldn’t lift up my leg …no one told me about that bit until I came on here and discovered it (among about a million other things)are all normal in recovery from TKR.Also I have done no formal Physio at all to date and at 16 weeks I have a fully functioning bending and straightening leg !!no clue of numbers but it works for everything I need it to.
Hang in there,keep coming on here for help and support and it does get better :loll:
 
Day 14 , still got the dead leg thing , but my practice nurse who has just taken my 30 staples out says its due to swelling hampering my movements.
The staple removal was a breeze , I was so anxious about having it done but it was so much easier than I thought it would be , only 2 difficult ones and they were not too bad.
Only problem I seem to have is tight muscles on my outer thigh , really painful, I'm waiting to my Doctor to call me to arrange some medication to help with this.
Then tomorrow have to call physio to make appointment, not looking forward to that , but will not be pushed or bullied into stuff that will give me pain.
Anyone waiting to have their staples out don't be afraid , it's OK and your wound feels easier once they're out .
Take it easy everyone x
 
I’m glad the staple removal went better than expected! (And I’m glad I had stitches!)

The thigh soreness will settle down, your whole leg has been traumatized by this surgery.

By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you. You can always bookmark this thread so you can find it easily.

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:
 
@Suziep Keep up the good work. You will get all the bending you need soon enough. I too had a TKR on my left on Aug 2 2021. I will be 3 weeks on Monday. Everyday I get better, even if it is just a little. I went to PT today. I was able to get around on the bike, she had me do some balance drills, Short Arc quads with I think 2# x 2 for 30 sec hold. I pushed myself using the stretching strap and got to 113 degrees. On days that I have PT I use my game ready ice machine more often. My biggest complain is bone aching and bone zingers. They always occur around 8pm. I take 1 oxy at 8pm and sleep until about 2-3 am then wake up and get some tylenol. This is getting old but I am trying to stay positive because I know I am doing well all things considered.
 
On day 21 , feeling okay in myself , but my leg , knee and foot still very stiff and swollen.
I was really hoping and wishing the swelling would be going by now.
Someday it seems to recede but then goes back to how it was.
Got first session of physio on Wednesday, hoping they can help.
 
Swelling can take months to go away, and it will vary in these early weeks depending on what your activities are, on a particular day. You are 3 weeks into a recovery that takes an average of a year. I had plenty of swelling at 3 weeks, and so did many of us. In time, it will heal and settle down.
 
Yes, this isn't like swelling from a sprain or minor injury.
 
Just had 1st physio session, was told I am well infront in most aspects of my recovery, achieved 80 degrees in the knee bending which therapist said was average for 3wks.
He gave me some new exercises, nothing too extreme.
He said I haven't got to see him again for 2 weeks as I'm doing so well.
So glad I went , I feel so much more positive about this journey now.
 
I often wanted to cancel my PT sessions due to fear of the anticipated (and very real) discomfort. I didn't, but learned to speak honestly. For example, I would say that I felt frustrated, and he listened. I said when I felt down, and he listened. Over time (11 weeks now), we're more in sync and work well together. I'm about to stop PT after 3 more visits, and it's amazing how well I feel and move now compared to my first visits when, I confess, I whined that I'd never walk normally again. Icing at the end of each session is a reward. Icing, in general, is a gift!
 
Hi , can anyone advise what the criteria is to get back driving?
I had my TLKR on August 2nd , do you have to be able to fully bend the operated knee back or is 90 degrees OK to do this ?
Thanks
 
@Suziep I had a left knee replacement and I was driving with in a week. The main thing for me to drive was not being on nacotics which I wasn’t. In the beginning getting into the car was a slow process. If it is your right knee you will need to get ok’d with your PT or surgeon. Best of luck
 
Thank you , I'm going to give it a try tomorrow, going stir crazy in the house.
I know it's going to be difficult but I'll take my time , I'm not a fast or good driver at the best of times so can't be any worse .x
 
Generally if you're off pain meds and are able to brake quickly (for the right knee) you should be ok to drive for short distances to start with.
 
For driving, put the seat back as far as it will go when you get in the car--- bending the knee for me is often the hardest part of getting in a car. Then, of course, move the seat back where you can function. With right knee, I waited to get the okay from my surgeon, who seemed surprised at my caution. Either way, you need to be confident that you can react quickly, apply the brakes with authority, and be safe. You'll feel quite independent and jaunty, but be cautious.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom