Guest viewing is limited

TKR Right knee rehab

It sounds you are doing really well! Slightly envious the 20 min walk and housework but we are all different. I had better flexibility but less ability to walk. Glad to hear you are taking a break when needed. Hard to find the balance of pushing on and resting. Love the support of this group. Following you now!
 
Well, it's 8 weeks, and sometimes I feel "normal" but of course, right now I'm iced, elevated, and my knee is again swollen and red - yes, I overdid it - again. It seems the heat (90 degrees) and humidity alleviate other aches and pains, so I took my longest walk yet, and then some. Probably now the best idea, but I have a few days to regroup before my next PT session. Speaking of PT, he says now we're leaving the flex portion of the "torture", although I've improved and can bend 105 degrees on my own, and we'll work more on strength and stairs. I probably have another 2 weeks of sessions before insurance deems me fit. I feel good, strong (relatively), and I look forward to getting back to work soon. I'm really glad I love to read; that's been my salvation during these weeks. Oh, I did pull more 2 errant sutures from the scar area - so redness seems to be dwindling.
 
Yup, I did too much, so today is low key and lots of ice. When will I learn?
 
It's interesting (and annoying) that night time is still the most uncomfortable - although I only get up 2 or 3 times now, which is a relief. Today, after driving a bit, noticeable discomfort (I hesitate to use the word "pain") emanated from 2 points next to my knee cap - then went away. I know it's due to certain nerves, etc. "firing up" which is somewhat comforting. Walking is good, PT is progressing and now I can flex 105 degrees on my own, 100 after some message, and 118 with help - and that's not as painful as it used to be. So--- progress (for now):)
 
Hi Atkinson8..Our dates are the same.Just wanted to say, I have actually slept ALL NIGHT for the past 3 nights(not that that may not change tonight! lol).I started taking Aleve at bedtime, what a difference!.
If you have some kicking around , may be worth a try.
 
Good hint! Today we took a road trip to see some friends - I was a passenger on the way down (had pillow for under foot), but drove home 3 hours due to traffic, and no where to stop to change drivers. Arriving home, I ran for the ice, elevated, and just worked to reduce some very obvious swelling. So, even just sitting for too long brings on old symptoms (or not so old). Whew! Ironically, I couldn't wait to just get up and walk once we pulled into the driveway. I did think about leading up the steps with my weaker leg, but reverted back to old habits.
 
I've returned from a week at Cape Cod with the family - fantastic. As for my knee, walking on the sand wasn't as easy as I anticipated, but doable; I noticed swelling especially after my forays to the beach. One day the waves were great for frolicking, but I opted to wade, as my legs didn't feel as stable as I'd like. All in all though, my goal of being more or less normally functional by this past week was met, although I did need to be driven to the beach (1 mile away), dropped off and picked up. Next year - full steam ahead!
My hope upon returning to PT tomorrow is I didn't regress in my progress as far as ROM (I admit I neglected the exercises - yet did walk quite a bit). I'm handling stairs better, and feel strong. I still have a few spots that are red and puffy due to submerged, stubborn sutures, not infected though. I'll let my surgeon decide what to do when I see him on 9/2. Thanks!
 
My hope upon returning to PT tomorrow is I didn't regress in my progress as far as ROM
Regress is the operative word. You may have a lower ROM number, but that doesn’t equal regression. ROM can vary all the time in this recovery depending on what we do on a particular day.

(I admit I neglected the exercises - yet did walk quite a bit)
You did natural exercises in all you did, and in my opinion, that’s better than a list of reps of formal “exercises.”
All in all though, my goal of being more or less normally functional by this past week was met
This is great! Recovery is happening and this is proof. Well done, even if your ROM number is a bit lower, temporarily.
 
Thanks all for your support. I actually could bend today to 110 degrees on my own - 120 with (not so comfortable) help, so things are going well. I have 3 PT sessions left, and he's pleased with my progress, as am I. Now, every time I say that, there's something I do to reverse the progress, but maybe not this time! I need to work on stairs (up and down). It's amazing to think of where I was almost 12 weeks ago, and now---so anyone who is feeling low and frustrated, keep reading the threads on this site, it makes all the difference in keeping us moving forward.
 
Tomorrow I start back to work - mostly meetings, but it's back! I do look forward to it, and my energy is good, walking is fine, stairs--- work in progress. I anticipate I'll be tired, sore, swollen, and more for the first few weeks. I've been walking a lot, easily on paved surfaces, and doing better on stairs - although I must confess I'm not as diligent with the actual exercises as I was in weeks 1 through 8. I think the fear of never recovering has waned. My last PT session is in 2 weeks, and I feel it's been worth it (despite what I said in earlier posts!). I'm optimistic, and I sure hope the partial in my left knee, now 6 years old, holds on for about 25 more years! :)
 
Great to be resuming normal life--even if it's for work. :wink: Remember to take breaks to walk for a minute or two if you're sitting in meetings a lot.
 
Yes, thank you. I woke up last night (it seems to when I feel the most discomfort, still) and realized that now I know what everyone means by "log leg" - a term I've seen on many posts. A perfect description for my leg that seems to work so well by day, then just quits moving, bending, and cooperating at night. Strange. But, I'll repeat the also often repeated words, "thank goodness for ice."
:ice:
 
I went for the 12 week check-in with my surgeon: he is totally impressed with how good the scar looks, and praised the robot technology. I still have some pesky sutures trying to break through in two areas, but they're not infected, and he said it could take a while for them to either surface, or submerge. I suggested a new brand of sutures. Anyway, all is well. I spend the last 2 days in meetings prior to returning to full time work (teacher), and I'm so happy I had the summer to recuperate and regain strength. I'm actually happy I had this procedure done; I walk with confidence and without pain (except on stairs--- although confidence in that realm is on the horizon).
 
Great news and encouraging for those who are not quite happy about having had the procedure! I, too, don’t regret having both knees replaced.
 
@Atkinson8 Good for you and congrats on your recovery! I’m also at 12 weeks (tomorrow) and am back at work (school administrator). I’m still using the cane, though, even though I have good extension, my ROM is still at about 100, so not quite there yet). Icing and elevating really helps, though a little weird when I have my right leg on my desk sometimes, as I’m icing (I should warn people :loll:). I commute an hour away and had RTKR but having ice nearby really helps as well! Plus, it’s so good to finally drive and have some independence…good for my mental health, that’s for sure!:flwrysmile:
 
Thanks EllieDimples - I also have about an hour commute, and exiting the car isn't as graceful as I'd like; but once I get moving, look out! I'll have to find the opportunity to elevate, although right now I think I'll just grab the ice and put the leg up when I get home. The independence is so welcome, I agree.
 
I found a large Ace bandage would hold an ice pack in place on my knee and I could still move around while icing, it helped me a lot in the early days back at work.
 
Great, thank you! I'm packing the bandage and ice pack for day one back at work. Yesterday I reminded myself yet again that it's still not difficult to overdo it. I did. So last night was uncomfortable, and ice again was the constant companion. I realize that because I appear functional, people (spouse, perhaps?) think I'm ready to take on all tasks-- or more likely, I feel that way. So, I think my complaining knee for reminding me I'm still in early stages, although not too early, thank goodness!
 
I'm glad I had 12 weeks before returning to full time work! With my partial knee, I recall going back at 6 weeks and it was way too early, so having the summer to regroup was a blessing. That being said, it's exhausting, and by the end of the day I'm ready to call it a day. I set an alarm, but my leg wakes me up before it goes off (sometimes way before), so that adds to the fatigue. All in all, everything is fine, and tomorrow I "graduate" out of PT. That too was a struggle at first (see earlier posts), but it turned out okay thanks to some sound advice from this site. I'm not exactly where "they" want me as far as ROM, but that's just fine and I know it will keep improving.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom