Guest viewing is limited

TKR Anyone use antibiotics for Dental Care?

You could probably put a really good sunscreen on--and remember to reapply.
 
Have fun. There’s not been much of that for a while, it’s great to have something to look forward to and conquer, other than daily activities.
 
Hi doxiemom i returned to work after six weeks i did half days for three weeks and then back to full time after 9 weeks my surgeon cleared this but my physio nurse was cautious. I am a workshop manager at a at a engineering company so part sitting and part walking. It has been and still is tough. I bought a small freezer and filled it with ice packs. Without this there would be no way i could do a full 8-9hrs at work then drive home. Be kind to yourself and pace your activities listen to your knee. Each week it does get easier but only minimally i find i am in bed for 8:30 pm completely exhausted. But at least i sleep:heehee:
 
You people that have to return to work have my full admiration. I can’t imagine having such a commitment even at 17 weeks.
Just had a recollection regarding sun screen. I live in a very sunny country, and was outside in the sun a lot in earlier days before it got too hot. I diligently applied the sun block along my scars only, as I wanted a slight tan for the summer on the rest of my legs. I ended up with two rather fetching white stripes with the red/purple one in the middle. Not the look I was aiming for!
 
When I walk with a cane (5 weeks post op) I try to concentrate on leading with the heal, bending (even exaggerated) and lifting with my toes. It feels weird, but that bend is important. When attempting without cane, just around the house, I try to do the same, and definitely feel when I'm walking too stiff legged. As for walking faster? Not yet, that's for sure!

I’m at 4 weeks post-op (Bilateral) and now walk with a cane (or not if just walking a few feet) and I feel like Frankenstein with a clunk…clunk. So I was also told to lead with the heel. However, I like your comment about the bend. It still feels a little awkward because my gait has changed, as well as my center of gravity. Upper back pain is gone, I stand straight now, so there is a lot of adjustment. But I am so glad I did this, the BoneSmart way.
 
Week 12 update.
Things are going well. No more cane! Every week there is improvement. Small but still moving forward. Taking 2 Extra Strength Tylenol in the morning and 2 Tylenol PM at night. Not sure if I need them, so will be cutting them off soon. Can sleep all night, leg aches and can be uncomfortable at times, but I just move into new position, and sleeping well is not a problem.

Knee still a bit swollen, wearing a Nikken sleeve to help, and it feels good. Further into the work week and at end of day leg (and me) are fatigued

ROM is at about 110. Can get my leg flat.

Best thing was last weekend I walked around the block with hubby and our little doxie and I held the leash! This was one of my goals!

It’s my other knee that hurts more now. But I plan on waiting until a year before I sign up to do this again!

Bad thing is a slipped on melted ice in my kitchen yesterday. All my fault! I should have wiped it up. Didn’t know what happened until I hit the floor. A lot of swear words and crying. Landed hard on my left hip, knee, calf. I’m sure the bruising will be ugly when it shows up. I was scared to roll up my pants to see my knee incision, but it was ok. Knee hurts more. Big lesson learned.

I will be trying to get in the ocean this weekend. Still looking for sturdy walking sandals for that, otherwise I will wear athletic shoes.

Thank you Bonesmart for this forum.
 
When you venture into the ocean, have a sturdy arm to hold on to. . . definitely. I like Teva of Columbia sandals (lots of Velcro straps and totally water-ready. Just be sure the bottom of the area is not muddy, sea-weedy, or rocky. Happy wading!:swim:
 
Glad to see that you are moving on so well. Sleeping well makes such a difference.
That fall must have been traumatic. I came close to one, and even that shook me up. Thank the Lord that you suffered no serious damage, we certainly don’t need any more to deal with. Enjoy your beach trip.
 
Hi Kneezers!

It's been a while since I have been on the forum. I was on vacation for 3 weeks and have been slammed with work! I will be catching up this week. In the meantime...

A question on my mind is about taking an antibiotic before a dental cleaning. Do you? Don't you? What are the concerns/dangers about NOT taking one?

Moderator - please change my thread title to something to do with this current question.
 
I was told no dental work, even cleaning until 3 months after surgery - of course I learned this as I sat in the hygienist's chair in July, only 6 weeks out. So--- I rescheduled, then OS says no need for antibiotics, but I think the dentist has his/her own policy on that.
 
Just an FYI: my os told me he recommends antibiotics for life when you are having any kind of dental work. I believe it’s 600mg amoxicillin, one hour before work. There seem to be all kinds of theories out there. My os said his mother had knee replacement and she will be taking them for life, he believes you don’t want to deal with the problems if they do occur.
 
You should consult your own surgeon or primary care doc for their advice on what they recommend. My primary care doc's opinion is that it's not necessary to pre-medicate. She says the act of flossing introduces the same kind of bacteria into your body every day.
 
Antibiotics before dental cleanings and any work were recommended by both surgeons who did my knee replacement. Lifetime use not 6 months as some recommend. They always ask if I‘ve taken my meds when I arrive at the Dentist and on the odd occasion when I have forgotten to take the Amoxicillin they give it to me there and delay the procedure by 30 minutes. Better safe than sorry I say. According to my friend who has had them it’s the same for shoulder replacements.
 
I believe you need to go by your surgeons advice. Do you have some concern about taking an antibiotic prior to seeing the dentist?

Personally my surgeon requires a dental checkup 4 months prior to surgery. It is his opinion to take antibiotics prior to seeing the dentist, for life. When I discussed the "why" with him his answer was simple. He's never had an issue with any patient taking antibiotics and he knows of numerous surgeons whom have had patients have issues without taking them. It is clearly something to discuss with your surgeon and your dentist.
 
My dentist said no procedures until at least 6 months post op. At that time they require a note from my surgeon stating whether or not he approves the procedure; and he must write the initial ABT order. After that, my dentist will forever require ABT's when treating me, even something prophylactic such as a cleaning. Ugh...:wow:
 
I think this is partly why they want you to have any pending dental work done before the surgery.

I would go with your OS' recommendation. Dental associations generally think it's not necessary (like Gimpy Gal says on the theory that if you bleed during flossing that's similar to getting your teeth cleaned)
, but some OS think for anything invasive (dental or otherwise) you should pre-medicate. (An ounce of prevention.)
Or some think only if you have any immune suppressing conditions you should. If your OS wants you to medicate they should prescribe the med.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom