Recent content by AJD

  1. AJD

    THR When to golf again ..

    I have just had my first "hippyversary" (surgery 20 July last year) and I can assure anyone looking to start playing again that golf after THR is just fine! Since April I have cut two strokes off my handicap, won a monthly medal and had 3 other top 3 finishes and a couple more in the top 10 -...
  2. AJD

    Class of 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 Hippies

    Hi all - a little over 9 months since my LTHR in 2012 and everything is just fine. A bit of muscle pain now and again - usually after a long walk and especially if there are steep bits. Other than that I have pretty much forgotten I had it done! Over eighteen months ago my "back" pain was so...
  3. AJD

    THR When to golf again ..

    Had my 6 month checkup back in January - all fine and my surgeon will see me again in 5 years time :-) On the golf front I am now playing 18 holes with ease - however the weather has been so appalling that this has not happened very often this winter! No swing adjustments necessary - just be...
  4. AJD

    THR AussieMike returns

    Not too much in the way of genuine links courses in my neck of the woods in the SW of England - this is my home patch: broken link removed: https://www.sidmouthgolfclub.co.uk/ (unlike Sidmouth, Tasmania the average temp at this time of year hovers around 5 or 6C with rain rather than 20+ and...
  5. AJD

    THR AussieMike returns

    Hi Mike - pleased you are well on the mend but greeeeen with envy at your prize. It is cold, wet and muddy in the UK right now and a long time until Spring. I now play 13 holes each week - just sit out the really steep parts of the course and wait for my mates to catch up with me. I get a bit...
  6. AJD

    THR When to golf again ..

    Yay! 9 holes this week and felt much stronger ( though still dismayed by lack of distance - feels more like a 2 club difference :sad:) I was 3 over on handicap but I don't think my regular partners are going to give me the 6 extra shots I was hoping for .... Best of all I cut my own toenails...
  7. AJD

    THR When to golf again ..

    My op was posterior and, like you, I was advised that golf would be fine (not skiing though - too old to learn and don't think all that falling over would be good for me!) The one leg longer thing is not too much of a bother and it is much less apparent than a few weeks back but I still might...
  8. AJD

    THR When to golf again ..

    Hi Mike. My swing was a bit shorter and slower - guess this is down to general stiffness and decreased range of movement ( I can tie my shoelaces but it involves swearing). Loss of length was apparent from the start as I caught my first drive (3 wood - no driver just yet) right off the middle...
  9. AJD

    THR When to golf again ..

    Well, I did it. 12 weeks and 2 days post-op I got myself back on the golf course. Only 7 holes and I was tired at the end and my swing went to pieces. But, no hip pain and no reaction today. Going to take my time to get back to a full round but this was as good a start as I could have hoped...
  10. AJD

    THR When to golf again ..

    Thanks Mike - hope your recovery goes well. Good idea - I'll look around for a local pro who has some experience in this area. Perhaps I can invoke the "Spirit of Seve" to work on my hip? :) I'll keep you posted..
  11. AJD

    THR When to golf again ..

    Hi all - new to this forum and this is my first post. I am now almost 11 weeks post-op after left THR. I am a relatively fit and active 55 yo and my need for a hip replacement came as a bit of a surprise to me! However, I feel like I have made a good recovery so far - I can walk a couple of...
Back
Top Bottom