Guest viewing is limited

THR When to golf again ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question, did you have to change your swing at all to play golf to prevent dislocating?
 
my question to my OS at the 6wk checkup about the 90 degree rule
was answered with him reaching down, grabbing my lower leg, and pushing
it up against me bringing my knee about into my chest.... he said "you're good"
:ok:
 
I am pleased to relate that I had a golfing long weekend last week and played 45 holes of golf. At 6 weeks the specialist said go to the driving range and hit short irons only. At 10 weeks play golf. His concern was more about rotation than the 90 degree rule. My swing hasn't changed much at all. Hope that helps.
 
Hey AussieMike... great to see you popping back and giving us a glimpse into your recovery - don't be a stranger now :)
 
Had my 6 month checkup back in January - all fine and my surgeon will see me again in 5 years time :-)

On the golf front I am now playing 18 holes with ease - however the weather has been so appalling that this has not happened very often this winter!

No swing adjustments necessary - just be aware that you won't hit the ball as far for a while (if I was a bit more of a gym bunny I suspect this would not be a problem for long)

Frankly my main concern has been falling over in the mud :-(

Now getting to the point where I no longer even think about my hip - just hope the warmer weather arrives soon so I can get my game back in to shape.
 
my question to my OS at the 6wk checkup about the 90 degree rule
was answered with him reaching down, grabbing my lower leg, and pushing
it up against me bringing my knee about into my chest.... he said "you're good"
:ok:

:rotfl: cnydutch you should have screamed loudly and taken 10 years off the guy's life.
 
Hi AJD

I've just caught up with your story. Go you!, you sound over the moon with your new hip and back to doing what you love most.

I don't suppose the Golf Club in question is Exminster? I've just noticed that you had your hip done in Exeter........Me too!! I live in Exeter.
I was a golf orphan for many years and now I'm a golf widow. I'm the only person in my large extended family who hasn't caught the bug. I always like to be different. My mum and dad play at Exeter but everyone else plays at Exminster. The reason I ask is because I know it's hilly and muddy!

I don't get all the 'golf speak', but you sound like you've got your mojo back and are having a great time.

Many congratulations on your fantastic recovery.

Hope the course dries up soon.

Queenie xxx
 
Queenie , once you feel a good shot in your loins, it's hard to stop playing. It's a wonderful sport and quite relaxing, though when playing, you might not see it that way but afterwards, all stress in life is gone.
 
Ha ha ha ukisgr8

You've got it bad!! I know for a fact it's the most frustrating game on the planet!

I've been to our local Golf range and had a few lessons. Apparently I've got a very nice swing. My husband bought me some golf clubs last Xmas but they've only had one outing.

Thing is, I was a golf orphan and very rarely saw my parents when I was younger.........Golf was and still is GOD in their world. I promised that I would never do that to my kids. Neither of them are interested in golf(we've tried), so I'm going to put golf on hold til they're more in dependant and don't want me around. I am a golf players dream 1950's styled wife...............Husband goes out to golf and rugby while I stay at home looking after our kids.............It's a mans world!!!! :whistle:

Queenie xxx
 
AJD I am a lady who has the golfing bug, playing 3 or 4 times a week until recently. I am having a THR next Friday 31 May. For once in my life I plan to do everything I'm told, so that I can get back to golfing ASAP! I know recovery time is pretty individual, but have set myself a goal to be back on the course in time for our annual club trip to Devon which is the first week in September. I'mhoping to be able to play at least one round by then. Do you think that's a reasonable target?
 
[Bonesmart.org] When to golf again ..
ellasmummy, all things being equal and no unforeseen problems, I think you will be able to manage to play the first week of September. Now I cannot vouch for what your form will be like and what kind of score you can anticipate :heehee: , but you'll be on the course and playing!
 
@bottomshollo Thanks for that, I just hope we have an Indian summer here, so I can get a few rounds in before winter
 
I had my surgery on Apr 30. Rt Anterior THR and my OS cautioned me against really only one thing regarding my return to golf. The titanium implant requires 8 weeks to fuse to the bone and there's nothing beyond time that allows for it. He said I'll feel great at 4-5 weeks and want to get out there and he sure is right. I'm nearly at 4 weeks and I'm ready to go in my mind.

I've even made a 1/2 swing in the leaving room keeping my weight on my left side like a chip, feels good. But my wife cautioned me against any attempt to play and I know that's right. Can't wait to get back out there though, having played 115 rounds last season and 19 this year leading up to my surgery. I paid the price the week prior to surgery playing four rounds and the pain was probably not worth it, but it did help raise my handicap so I'll have a little cushion when I do get back out there June 25th!
 
littlemac Thanks for your reply, I think I am going through what you did pre op. I had entered loads of competitions and had to sell them to substitutes. I've got a friendly match to play on BH Monday, and an individual final on Thursday. I have my op on Friday, and I seem to be getting more pain every day. My handicap is going the wrong way, but as you say, it gives me a bit of wriggle room when I get going again!
 
AJD I am a lady who has the golfing bug, playing 3 or 4 times a week until recently. I am having a THR next Friday 31 May. For once in my life I plan to do everything I'm told, so that I can get back to golfing ASAP! I know recovery time is pretty individual, but have set myself a goal to be back on the course in time for our annual club trip to Devon which is the first week in September. I'mhoping to be able to play at least one round by then. Do you think that's a reasonable target?

Hi, I am new to this thread. I am 11 days post op. Had a RTHR anterior method as day surgery, home by 3:30. Took pain meds for 48 hours, then just,Tylenol. In spite of my really rapid early progress just after my surgery, I tried to make the jump from crutches to a cane after 5 days. Not a great idea. I'm back on the crutches -- my Doc said crutches 2 weeks. Now after 11 days I'm gaining strength and expect to move to a cane in a couple of days, when I don't have to,lean on it too much.

I am also anxious to get back to the golf course. Played 2 days before my surgery and my handicap is the highest it's been for 30+ years. I don't think I'll be able to swing without a little fear for 60 days after surgery, maybe 75 days. My surgeon is a little conservative, but the big thing is to get some bone growth iNto the stem.

The anterior approach left me with almost no pain and really good mobility. My primary therapy has been about 3 hours a day of ice and compression -- see www.gameready.com . The machine really effectively manages swelling, which is a big deal. Ask your Doc to prescribe it.

I have a little thigh burning in the last few days, and I'll see my doc on Tuesday to talk about it. It's getting a little better, hopefully just a little surgical trauma.

Good luck with your surgery Ellasmummy, I would think 3 months should be plenty of time to reclaim your swing.

Kay
 
Kay NY, welcome to the forum, pleased to have you join us. Please start a thread of your own in the proper forum. Here is the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting

You will receive the attention to your concerns and questions that you deserve by doing this. I look forward to your first post.
 
Kay NY Thanks for your reply. It looks like we have a bit in common, at least I years, pastime and state of hips! I am getting a bit nervous now, but can't wait to start recovery! The golf course has always been my therapy, and I know it's going to drive me ad not being able to get out. I think patience is key, but very hard! I will lookout for your 'recovery' posts, good luck!
 
Very interesting thread, I really want to take up golf again (LTHR Mar2012). Is there anything different to do on the swing? Is approach different for Left or Right HR? I worry about swinging to my left side, but I expect that I should build up slowly with sort irons first.
 
I went easy the first few holes but then went full swing afterwards. My first time out playing 18 was 3 months post op. Had surgery on march 6th, 2013 and play at least twice a week
 
RRipple my OS said the LTHR will take a bit more time for golf than the RTHR for a right hander.

That said I started with irons for two nines and then went to full swing. Since June 20 I have 15 rounds and no problems. Shooting high 80's now working back to pre-surgery scores.

My swing is similar but managing my body turn has been hilarious at times as my hips are so flexible and it is easy to get hips ahead of hands and pull the ball ridiculously left.

Get back out there.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom