Guest viewing is limited

THR When to golf again ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps. I'm a right handed golfer who had a left hip replacement. So I don't know
 
Perhaps. I'm a right handed golfer who had a left hip replacement. So I don't know
I was told that with the left hip taking more torque it would most likely take extra healing time to get back to full form after LTHR than the seven weeks I took with RTHR. I took the OS to mean more like 12 to 15 weeks before applying full pressure to it.
 
I'm guessing its a doctor deal on what they feel comfortable with. He cleared me to golf after 8 weeks but I just chipped and putted since I was still hobbling around. I would listen to your doc though. He knows you best
 
Most golfers are going to slowly feel their way back. Even if you are walking with no real discomfort, the ability to achieve a full range of movement through the hip flexor is months away for most people. Starting with short irons will help you to understand your limitations in the early days. Take your time, progress slowly and focus on sharpening your short game.
 
I have just had my first "hippyversary" (surgery 20 July last year) and I can assure anyone looking to start playing again that golf after THR is just fine!
Since April I have cut two strokes off my handicap, won a monthly medal and had 3 other top 3 finishes and a couple more in the top 10 - now advising all my friends that joint replacement is what they need to improve their games! :)
Everything was stiff to start with and I was usually aching a bit after 18 holes but this went away after 7 or 8 months - I haven't felt this good after a round for years. Also lost that "for gawd's sake don't fall over and make a prat of yourself by dislocating" feeling - I honestly don't even think about my hip anymore (though I can see my playing partners wince a bit if I try playing from really awkward places).
Initial loss of distance - I reckoned about 2 clubs difference - has slowly recovered and I am more or less back to where I was before.
I have made no conscious adjustments to my swing - the only thing I did differently was to add a small heel lift as my operated leg is a bit longer than the other one. I didn't notice any change so I don't even do that any more - although I have found that the new lightweight, spikeless shoes are more comfortable.
Start slowly, don't expect miracles to start with and you will soon be tearing up the course!
 
[Bonesmart.org] When to golf again ..
AJD, what an awesome update!!!!!! You will be a real inspiration to other golfers facing THR and well as the rest of our future "hippies". How absolutely wonderful for you that you're back in the game and loving it!

Don't be a stranger---keep us updated. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] When to golf again ..
 
bottomshollow AJD I too am happy to report my golfing progress.....I have played 3 full rounds this week with no ill effects. The first drive was a lovely feeling, and almost as long as previously. My only issue is that I seem to be subconsciously 'protecting' my new right hip by not planting my left foot as firmly as I should, which means I lose my balance a little, but now I have had it pointed out to me, I can rectify that :) I finished in my buffer zone in all three rounds, and it was blowing a gale throughout yesterday's. so, I'm a really happy bunny now!

The only cloud on the horizon, I've seen my GP today, he's finally been sent my last hip X-rays (long story), and he has confirmed that my left hip is 'not normal'. Hey ho, here we go again.......
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom