TKR Here goes knee #2 - looking for another success story

Status
Not open for further replies.

spihaven

Country
United States United States
Hi all - As with most people I was very afraid of my TKR surgery - but I have to say - I am doing GREAT 1 week post op - the hardest thing for me with this surgery was the nausea and vomiting due to the heavy pain meds - so - after the first day in the hosp I am only on Norco 10/325 and am having no pain except when doing my exercises. I heard the horror stories of not sleeping, severe pain and inability to function - Happily I am not one of those patients. I am sleeping 5-6 hrs at a time, walking with a normal gait (of course with a walker), eating anything I want (including Thanksgiving turkey and pumpkin pie) and have already attained 90 dgs of flexion and -8 dgs of extension. I am slowly getting back to my household routine and I was able to send my sister back to her house last night (6 days after surg). I have home PT twice a week at the house and then in 2 weeks will be going to outpatient PT.

Of course things can change and I may not always be this upbeat and I may run into problems later on - but I really wanted to give some hope to those who are afraid of the surgery and all the issues that come with it - that was what I was looking for when I was reading all of the forums and doing my research - I wanted to KNOW there were people who were not living in hell with their recovery.

I am not much of a forum poster but I will try and post at least once a week to give updates on my journey -

That is absolutely a great report! Keep them coming!

Remember that this recovery can have its ups and its downs, but keep icing, elevating, and resting, and you will be dong just fine!

I see that this is your first post---have you had a chance to take a look at our forum library? It is full fo excellent (but short!) articles that can be very informative and help you understand all of the facets and aspects of this TKR recovery---here they are for you!

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

I look forward to following your recovery. I am scheduled for a LTKR in Jan and, like you, have been reading all the recovery threads. Some of them are pretty scary...
Hoping everything will continue to go well with you.

Your post is indeed a positive story for the newbies to read. Thank you.

Good post very encouraging for others. Hope everything continues for you as well as this. :wow:
I'm a few days behind you and think I'm doing OK but there are ups and downs. Everyone is so different.

Ups and downs are indeed part of the package. Be sure not to overdo, that is a fast track to a down!

Hi everyone - had my second visit from my PT today - she says I am doing great - but again, like has been said a million times - slow and steady is the mantra. I had my first walk outside - and am cleared to continue that ONCE a day for no more than 5-10 minutes - then she said after her next visit if I am still doing ok I can start adding 1 minute more a day and work up to 30 minutes - I am icing after any exercise or standing - and am elevating at least 4-6 times a day....My mind says I can do more - but I am smart enough to listen and do what I am told...like several people have stated - it is a marathon and since I am just 7-1/2 days out from surgery I am just at the beginning of my race.....I know I will have some down days or times when I end up doing too much and have to pay for it with swelling and pain, but that is the learning curve - the important thing for me is learning how to listen to my body and not my head - I want to be the turtle and not the hare with slow progression as my motto -

I am so grateful that I did the surgery - and that my recovery (so far) is doing great - I know there are a lot of people who have suffered in their early period postop - but there are also people like myself who are moving through this period a little easier - we are all different and have different physical situations and limitations - but we are all in this boat together -

As I have said before, I am not much of a writer - but will continue to try and give updates on my progress

Thank you for that great update!

You're doing very well.

Thought I would post an update in my recovery - I am now 16 days postop (surgery was 11/21/2014)....I have 0 dgs extension and 97 dgs flexion as measured by my last home PT appointment...I am walking with a cane and have really no pain with any activity. My swelling is down about 50-60% from surgery - Interestingly I gained 14 pounds from the time I entered the hosp until I got home - and none of it was from eating - it was all fluid from swelling - I have lost almost all of that fluid so my weight is only 2 pounds off from my admission weight. I spend a lot of my days with my feet elevated and ice on my knee as a preventative measure and that has helped tremendously - I do use a walker to walk outside due to many cracks and crevices in the asphalt around my mobile home. I will start my outpatient PT on 12/12 and will be seeing my surgeon on 12/18 at which time I am expecting to be released to drive, though I may choose to hold off on that for another week since it is my right knee that was replaced - will just see.

I have had no real problem sleeping at all. This was one of my main concerns because I heard so many people saying that was the worst part of the surgery. I have weaned myself off from 6 Norco (10/325) down to possibly 3 a day and supplement that with Tramadol if I need it - but again this is more of a preventative measure to make sure I don't get into a pain cycle as I have had no real pain - of course exercising causes swelling which can lead to a throbbing kind of pain - but that is easily handled with ice and elevation. I am hoping to be off Norco completely in another week or so (except on days where I do PT).

I am now fully independent except for driving places and grocery shopping - but I never, ever push myself to do ANYTHING - my knee is totally in charge and if it is tight or sore at all I DON'T DO ANYTHING. I think my proactive approach to elevation and ice, whether I think I need it or not, has really helped me keep the swelling down and hence pain control.

So for those of you who are worried about the surgery and what to expect - I can only say this is a lot easier for me than I thought it would be. I would just recommend listening to your body and be proactive with your ice and elevation - it really, really makes a difference.

I will post again after my first outpatient PT....

Great advise for those of us waiting in the wings....thanks, and best wishes for a continued great recovery.

doin' it right 2.jpg
@spihaven, listening to your body and your knee, resting, elevating and icing are the ticket to a great recovery journey. You are certainly a poster child for the BoneSmart philosophy. Sure hope your example encourages other BoneSmarties to follow your lead.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. hugs 7.jpg

I so agree with your approach. I also spent a lot of time in the beginning, bringing the swelling down and then had good rom and was able to move forward, I think that is an important part of recovery that many people skip over at first.

As another coming up in January - very much appreciate seeing a hopeful recovery!

That is exactly why I am posting - In my research prior to my TKR I was horrified at so many posts from people who had such a hard time after surgery - it almost made me cancel my surgery. I know no two people are alike and we all have individual situations and medical conditions that make our recovery process different - but I wanted people to know there are people who do not have major issues with their recovery and give them hope - the one thing I was actually most scared of was the sleep issues that so many people commented on - and that (thankfully) has not even been an issue for me. I will be scheduling my left TKR sometime in April 2015 (after a trip to Hawaii) and hopefully will have even an easier time with that one.

Hang in there and realize a lot of people who have no issues just don't post or comment on their recovery - that is why you see so many posts on this site and other sites with the tough recovery - Just follow the mantra of ICE, REST, ELEVATION AND GENTLE EXERCISE routine and you should do great - ice when you don't think you need to, elevate when you don't want to, REST when you really want to be DOING something - and most importantly LISTEN to your body.....

Hang in there and realize a lot of people who have no issues just don't post or comment on their recovery - that is why you see so many posts on this site and other sites with the tough recovery - Just follow the mantra of ICE, REST, ELEVATION AND GENTLE EXERCISE routine and you should do great - ice when you don't think you need to, elevate when you don't want to, REST when you really want to be DOING something - and most importantly LISTEN to your body.....
Well said. You are a great example--thanks for posting.

That, of course is true. Also folks don't seem to want to slow down for the few weeks in the beginning---they push themselves and then get frustrated because the swelling inhibits their rom. I never did much pt until 3 weeks---I think your knee needs time to rest and heal first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Air185
Recent bookmarks
Back