TKR Here goes knee #2 - looking for another success story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. Spihaven. My 2nd knee (also the left) caused me a bit more pain and ache than the first. I had the surgeries approximately 6 weeks apart. Strength was also somewhat delayed. My theory is that the 1st surgery's recovery "robbed" the healing power from the second, at 5 weeks, it has pretty much leveled out. Good luck with your recovery!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just got back from my first outpatient PT - ROM unassisted was 110/0 and with a little help 120/0 - No bad for 19 days out from surgery. Rode the bike for 10 minutes and then my ROM unassisted was 116/0 and assisted was 124/0....I am having very little pain now - only aching and mostly that is at night. I see my OS on 5/8 and will probably be cleared to go back to the gym and drive. So I have only 1 more PT session scheduled after I see my OS as there really is no need. I had her measure my ROM on my right knee (replaced 5 months ago) and I was 130/0.....I don't know why I have been blessed with such easy recoveries but I sure am happy that I have.....All I can say is that I have followed the Bonesmart way and it has proven to be the best thing I have ever done....Here is hoping all my other bonesmart friends are doing as well....
 
Saw my OS yesterday and he is very pleased with my 1-month recovery, as am I. I am now walking in house without cane as well as short walks - for longer walks or places with lots of people I still use the cane for safety sake. Pretty much off all meds except Tylenol and Tramadol - especially at night which has been a little more of a struggle for this knee. My ROM is still around 116/0 but I know over time it will continue to improve. I am now back at the gym - doing 20 min on bike for about 2 miles and doing some leg extension and leg curls - I am taking the bike slow as I don't want to overdo - but figure in the next few weeks I should be up to 30 minutes and as my stamina improves I will be able to increase my miles -

There is really nothing in my house I can't do - I just have to make sure I don't try to do all my housework in one day. My right TKR is now 5 months out and is doing quite well and has really not been a problem with this recovery.

Monday my sister and I are heading to the casinos for a couple of days - and of course I will be taking my cane to ward off people - but really looking forward to getting away for a couple of days....

So all in all - I am very happy with my recovery at 1 month - Hope all is well with all the bonesmart peeps
 
Best wishes for your trip to the casinos.

You're doing very well, but do remember that you will still have little stamina - be prepared for that energy drain and try to make sure you are sitting down while you are winning/losing your life savings. :heehee:
 
Wow great recovery.
Have fun at the casino. Dont over do it. Rest when you can. Set down. Night Ice ice. Xxx


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Great report!!! So glad to hear it. Hope you win big at the casino!
 
Well - casino run was a fun one - and only lost $70 over the 2 days - considering we had our food comped and visited 3 casinos, not bad at all. My left knee held up quite well for 5 weeks - I did do quite a bit of walking but made sure to sit as much as possible and I iced that night - When we got home I made sure to relax, elevate and ice and am just relaxing today. I feel a little stiff but not really bad and I know that will disappear soon - It was wonderful to just get away from the house and be around people -

I am so grateful I had these 2 knees repaired - the old pain is gone and the only issues I have now are just the ones of the healing process - I can definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel - my right knee almost feels "normal" at 5 months and the left one is on the way to follow in the right one's footsteps -

I hope all the mothers on this board had an awesome Mother's Day - My "kids" are my wonderful schnauzers and I made sure we had an extra special day since I knew I would be gone for 2 days at the casinos.....

For anyone who is struggling with their recovery - take heart - a new way of living is just around the corner...

Lin
 
Coming up on 2 months on my left TKR - I am doing great - I now can bike to 4 miles in 30 min at the gym and I have just recently started walking about 1.25 miles on my gym off days. Of course there is some swelling to both of my knees but no pain. After any exercise I ice and elevate as a routine. I am off all pain med except once in a while at night - still having some restlesss, can't get comfortable nights, but they are slowly disappearing. My right TKR is now close to 6 months and is doing well except for some crepitus (grating) when I extend my knee and some swelling. No pain at all there and I am not concerned about it as it seems to be a normal thing for some of us. Plus, the right knee has had to carry the load so to speak during my left leg recovery.

After my stamina increases a little more I will engage in my favorite activity for the first time in 2 years - walking my dogs. My sister will be doing this with me for awhile and walk one of them while I walk the other one. Once we are comfortable in my being able to walk one of them, she will go with me a few times while I walk both of them just to make sure I am doing well. Those of you who have dogs know what a great experience walking them can be - and I just can't wait to begin that again. Before my knees got so bad I was walking them 2-4 miles a day - but that has been over 2 years .......

Life is good - and I am so grateful I did this surgery on both my knees - onward and upward

Lin
 
@spihaven What a fantastic report! You are doing just great from the sounds of it. Soon you will be walking your dogs all by yourself and loving every minute of it. Way to go!
 
@spihaven This is indeed a great report!! I'm so happy for you.

You may notice that I moved your post and the follow-on comment here to your recovery thread. Updates like this are more appropriate in your thread rather than someone else's.
 
BIG RED LETTER DAY - I walked my dogs for the first time in over 2-plus years - YIPEE - My sister walked with me and took my 5 year old male while I walked my 12 year old female - It was HEAVEN for all of us - they were beside themselves with excitment but soon fell right back into their usual gait - Now I know I can do it - but of course still with help for awhile to make sure we are all safe - but now the plan is for 3 times a week (if it is not too hot) and to slowly build all of us up to our usual 2-3 miles -

So take heart all of you newbies - I am 7 months on my right knee and 2 months on my left knee - life is so much better today than it was with those old arthritic knees -:wowspring:
 
Congrats! My six old knee won't be able to handle the five year old golden retriever for a while yet. Have to get school teacher daughter to come over and walk him a couple of times a week....Hubby and son don't walk him.
 
It has been over 6 weeks since I checked in so thought I would do a quick update - Saw my OS last week and he has cleared me for all activity except running (no worries there) and skydiving (NOT A PROBLEM DOC :rofsign:). So I will be going to the driving range next week to start hitting golf balls so I can get back into enjoying that again - I am walking both my dogs with ease up to 1-1/2 miles when the heat is not too bad - continuing the gym and have been doing much more activity there - I pretty much am free from pain other than when I overdo it - still early morning stiffness for about 5-10 minutes until I get my motor going - off all meds except Tylenol and once in a while Aleve - still have "pockets" of small swelling but that is diminishing - so all in all I am feeling AWESOME.

Now my plan is to continue strengthening my muscles and increase my endurance so I will be in great shape for all the walking I will be doing next March in Europe. I don't go back to see my OS now until Feb 2016 (just before heading out for my European cruise). Of course if I have any problems I will go back sooner -

Life is good - :wowspring:

Lin
 
My doc did tell me not to wear golf shoes with cleats for the first year. I have the ones will built in cleats--not the ones you screw in. I have never changed back to my old shoes. Also, your old shoes have a wear pattern in them from the old knee. You need new golf shoes anyway!!!
 
Thanks for the info Kelly - I actually had given away or sold all of my golf stuff because it has been years since I have been able to play (about 20 to be honest). So yesterday I went on Craigslist and found a great deal - complete set of Square 2 clubs (14) and bag for $75 - belonged to this lady's mom - so I am heading out there this morning to check them out - beautiful set in the pics. I am only going to wear my support walking shoes at first - I don't want to get into the "spend $" thing until I actually see if this old body can truly play. It has not only been my knees that stopped me - but my back as well - IF after a few times at the driving range I can see that I am able to hit the ball and I have no after effects - then I will go with my friend to a 9 hole par 3 course a few times - again just to test the body out - If that is successful - then I will get into buying appropriate shoes - I figure if I can't play for some reason I can always resell the clubs - But I am really looking forward to getting back into the game - I was never "good" - but just enjoyed the game and fellowship with friends - however this time around it will be by golf cart - not feet...HAHA
 
I think you will be fine. I would recommend a lesson with a good pro and mention that you have a bad back---so do most of them and there are ways to avoid flaring it up.

I also enjoy the social aspect of golf--I am terrible---It think I have a 30 handicap, but I enjoy hacking my way around a golf course. I also ride---pushing the clubs is too much for me right now.
 
Just read your entire thread. I am so glad you posted your journey. I've been told knee replacements are in my future. I am bone on bone in both knees. I will be seeing an OS later this month for second opinion and perhaps some indication of time frame.

Congrats on your recoveries!!!
 
I am now back to playing golf - absolutely no problem with my knees - I do use a cart - not because of my knees but because I am lazy HAHA - Having a great time with friends and absolutely enjoying life again - Now doing 6 miles in 30 minutes on the bike at the gym and other strengthening exercises - when the weather is not too hot I am walking 2-3 miles and sometimes with my dogs (they don't do well walking in hot weather) - Obviously I don't do all of this in 1 day - never have been that ambitious - BUT - I make sure to do something physical each day -

@wings - Each of us is different in our recoveries - especially in the first few weeks - but I can tell you I do not regret having these knees replaced one bit - I am 9 months out from my right one and coming up on 5 months on the left one - and there are days that I don't even think of my knees now - I pray that your upcoming knee replacement goes well for you -

Lin
 
Wow, this is an excellent story. As you say, everybody is different, but (reading through these wonderful forum posts) it seems that most get to the point of "no regrets." Thanks for coming back with the update.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom