Op was off - and then on again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Natalie,

I have been keeping up with your thread through the good times and the bad!

It is so nice that you have great friends that come and visit and take you out occasionally, but I wish that your extended family were more thoughtful!:cnsl: My Mom has been here through thick and thin, as well as getting my hubby on board most of the time.:D You have a wonderful husband to support you, and that means so much!

I hope that your leg starts responding better, and quits hurting so much! You are such a wonderful upbeat person! Keep your great attitude and you will do well! :D

Thanks Sonja :)
I'd not get through it without the support of my husband he is amazing :)

I think the best way to handle this is I have had a long 7 years of this damn disease and now hopefully my surgeon has eradicated it and my new knee will be the start of a whole new life we have so many things as a family that we would like to do starting with our fab holiday next June so I just have to keep going,yes some days are terrible but other days are good and I can see that light at the end of the tunnel and I need to keep reminding myself that it's only 6 weeks and this is a marathon not a sprint :thmb:

Is it only 6 weeks ?! It seems a lot longer than that!

Keep patient, and keep your eyes focussed on that light, it'll soon be getting bigger.

Just think how much you have improved since you woke up in hospital, and you have twice as long since that until Xmas, you'll be doing the twist at those xmas parties:D

Hi Nat-
Just checking in to see how you are doing? How is your bend going? I know I progressed slowly too but PT said as long as there was improvement each week they did not worry about it. If you are stuck and no progress you might have to have that MUA. I'm hoping not but if it helps you'll do it I'm sure.
Here is a suggestion for a bending exercise that worked well for me. Laying on your back on the bed you bring up both knees and just let you legs hang. Just the weight of the leg puts enough tension on it to bend in these early stages. Painful but it does work. For your extension flip over and lay on your stomach and extend your legs off the edge of the bed. The edge being just above your knees and again just using your weight of your leg to pull it straight. Ouch but it works.
I went for my longest bike ride today. 25 miles! Husband and I went out of town with our bikes and rode in the country. The day was cool and it was great to get out of the city. Now let's see how many leg cramps I get tonight!
I was just tested for gout last week. I've been have pain in big toes and now my ankle. My mom had gout but my symptons were not like any flare ups that gout people experience but the dr said some people get what they call chronic gout so we tested. Got the results and looks like I don't have it. Probably just arthritis like the rest of this old body has. This leg is just not right but I can't figure it out. From my back down to my toes every joint hurts in my left leg. Even after a TKR the knee still hurts. Very frustrating but hey I biked 25 miles today! Can't be to bad. I bike better than I walk.
How's the pooping doing now? I thought I'd take a look at my Miralax bottle to see what the technical name is for you. It is Polyethylene Glycol. It was a prescription before but now it is available over the counter. No RX needed. You might be able to ask your pharmacist what the UK's equivalent is.
Hope today was a good day for you.
Martha

hi natalie
trying to catch up on your threads, just forget to come onto knees' just hips, i have terrible problems with the bowels & have done for years because of all pain relief. i take docusate sodium every nite ( stool softners) & movecol when its not woking, when it goes on too long takes a few days of doing it before it gives a result, you just get sick of taking so many tablets dont you. my sister was laughing at me last mon. my husband & me went for an indian meal last sun. nite, really couldnt be bothered to go but forced myself, i was only in restaurant for 55 mins. but did both my husband & me to get out on our own for a bit. i couldnt even use the toilet after an indian meal & 2 bottles of lager!!! haha!
melanie x :blush:

:cnsl:Hi Natalie

I was just saying to my sister yesterday, you find out who's important in your life when you need support like this. My 2 best friends, one who I've been best friends with since I was about 9 and the other since I was 11, have not even sent me a card. I cant believe it. I've been there for them always.

Thankfully my husband and family have been great. Couldn't have asked for better, especially my mam and sister who have come up at 9am when my husband was at work, helped me in and out of shower, helped with kids and in house. They both work full time and do shifts but have come on days off or before work. Although I am 1 of 5 kids so not seen as much of my 2 brothers and 1 sister. My sister that has been coming is a star. She's been my true best friend for years and we've spent every day off together for years and years and I haven't worked for 3½ yrs. So I don't feel there is any void in my life cos the other 2 friends have let me down.

I understand how you could do things you know you shouldn't. I know I have if I've had to, or just cos I'm so sick of asking for help, but be careful it's really not worth it.

How old are your kids?
Melanie x :cnsl:

Hi Melanie,

The kids are 10 and 12 and although they help around the house and help me they hate doing it and I feel bad that they have to do so much all the time,they are washing up just now bless them and they should be doing fun things not chores and worrying about me :(

My friends have really surprised me too I mean they text and see how I am but it's not a text I need it's that little bit of help save my husband having to do it all.

How you doing?

xx

Thanks Jaycey it's been a tough battle but I found a site similar to this where I met Rebecca and Martha and we have shared our pain and now for all 3 of us hopefully nicer times xx

It's tough that it is so rare and there is very little research on it but hopefully the new knee will have done the trick :)

We've had one or two rare conditions pop up on here - one was RSD. They do seem to try you poor folk more than somewhat. I really do feel for you.
ai51.tinypic.com_2dkh2x5.gif

We are so fortunate to live in a time and place where we can have joint replacement surgery. Natalie, I wish you weren't having such a rough recovery, but I truly believe that once you get through it, you will get your life back (which I don't think would happen without the knee replacement). If I could have had my replacement when I was your age, I sure would have. You are going to have so many great years now while you're still young!

I'm also so thankful for the internet and the ability to connect with people going through similar situations. It is so nice to know you are not the only one with a disease or having to have surgery. I still have never met anyone in person who has (or has had) synovial chondromatosis. And I have not met any people even close to my age who have had hip replacements. I'm so glad I have met all you wonderful people!

Well, we're glad we met you! :dogkiss:

Me too Rebecca where would we be without the world wide web!

I really hope and pray that when I come through the other side that is the end of all my problems :) I can't wait for that time :)

How you doing Rebecca?
Do you think we will have regular MRI to check for the SC?

Xxx

Thankyou so much Jo xxxxx

Hi Natalie
I know you feel awful asking them all the time, don't you. I can tell my 8 yr old is sick of picking things up, plugging things in & getting things out of cupboards in kitchen which are all low down! But it will be worth it when we are fit & can do so much more with them. My 3 yr old has been a great help. She calls herself mammy's little helper, bless her. It was my eldest daughter's birthday on Sat & she wanted to go to the museum. I was going to go in a few shops afterwards but I was so tired & sore after 2 hours in museum, so we just went home. But at least we did the bit she wanted to do.
Melanie x

Aw sounds like a lovely day :)
Mine have been so good fetching my ice and making sure I always have a drink. I am lost without them when they are at school! But we have also had moments when they have kicked off because they are bored and there isn't much we can do as a family. So last night we all sat on the bed and watched XFactor with some popcorn and sweeties :) It was great :thmb:

I'm having a good day today. I lost 4lbs this week and I got my first 9 hours sleep in 6 weeks - in fact it may be in 7 years!:hehe:

Truly, I think you shouldn't feel guilty about your kids running around after you. It teaches them to care about other people for a change, no matter how young they are. And it's only for a short time. All the years you wait on them hand, foot and finger - it won't do them any harm to have to think of someone else a little bit. Good for life training, don't you think?

Yes I do, Jo. My kids are the only ones I know who can wash up, make a small meal, iron and do many other things.
My little brother is 16 and can't do any of those things because my mum has done everything for him!
Me and my husband have always fended for ourselves. I left home at a very young age and was pregnant at 17 so had to survive and I taught myself all that stuff. I am glad my 2 know how to do it all :)
I just hope they don't resent me. We have a lot of trouble at school with my youngest and I always worry it is my fault.

They won't resent you - you are equipping them for life! So long as it's made fun and not a chore that they are forced to do and I'm sure you don't do that! Kids are difficult to deal with at the best of times, knowing what to do for the best must be a nightmare sometimes!

tbh, if I resent anything about my childhood it's that my mother didn't teach me - not even how to make a cup of tea!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Rdollins
Recent bookmarks
Back