THR Brooksy’s Hip Recovery

I get it. No way I can allow my "good" bad hip to disable me the way i did with the first one. Do you believe I was too dense to know that crippling thigh and groin pain were symptoms of a bad hip? Now I so much get a twinge of either and I freak out.

I have a good friend who almost died in labor. We all knew what a horror the experience had been for her. Yet do you know how often some idiot would say to her, "I never felt more powerful as a woman than when I delivered." Well, bully for you. When someone tells me how quickly they were 110% after surgery, I let it hang in the air. Then walker myself away, head held high. Of course, when I'm home alone again, I swear and cry. :hairpulling:

Everything you're going through, I'm right beside you. X
I must admit I’m still upset at the comments the other day. She even confirmed it with her husband. He at least had the grace to look awkward but unfortunately still agreed with her.
I felt like she was belittling my recovery and looking at me like I should be doing more.

You weren’t dense at all not knowing about your hip pain.

My GP wouldn’t refer me so I saw so many chiropractors, sports therapists, physios, acupuncturists during the three years and they all told me different things.

I got told it was things like my pubic bone was out of line or it was my psoas tendons that were tight. They all said they’d sort it. How on earth all those people didn’t know what the pain was I don’t know.

What I find really bad is that I worked in operating theatres and not one Orthopaedic surgeon asked me what was wrong. They could see the pain I was in and limping and must have known I needed a hip replacement.

I only trained in theatres so didn’t know what patients went through before and after. I do now.

Even the chiropractor I eventually saw took five months to tell me he couldn’t do any more and I needed a referral for hip replacement. He’d taken an x ray at the start too.

I know now that my areas of pain were classic hip symptoms especially with lack of mobility.

Even when I told my GP I was at the end of my tether she referred me for physio (again). When the hospital called me to book that appointment I just broke down and they arranged the referral. I’m eternally grateful to the girl who spoke to the consultant for me. If he’d said no then I would have had to wait at least two months for the physio appointment for them to refer me which would be another two months. Then a year’s wait for the op.

I’d got to the point that I couldn’t lift my left leg as the pain was so bad and had to drag it across the floor.

I found a really good physio just before my op who really helped. I wish I’d found him sooner.

If that pain starts even a little bit I’m going to be straight in there for a referral.

You’re definitely not alone x

Last edited:
Oh, not being able to lift my leg! When I purchased a leg lifter just to survive, my PCP laughed at me. She said, "You're the first patient I've had who walks her leg on a leash." I was so shocked I said nothing, but I wish now I'd taken my "leash" and whipped her with it!

:loll:
I only found out about leg lifters when I was looking for stuff for post op. It would have been amazing for getting my leg into bed.

I still can’t believe I can just get into bed pain free now.

Before I could use the good leg to hook the bad leg and haul it into bed, I used a yoga belt. Isn't it wonderful to just be able to sit on the edge of the bed and flip those legs around?

I still can’t believe I can just get into bed pain free now
Isn't it wonderful to just be able to sit on the edge of the bed and flip those legs around?
The things that give you a thrill after THR :heehee:
This recovery certainly gives us an appreciation for the little things so easily taken for granted.

Taking for granted like being able to tie your own shoe laces and dress without a grabber, yep. Well done @Woodstockhip for being able to flip your legs round so that your right becomes your left and your left becomes your right...that is a party piece...

Three months post op today.

It’s been a strange rollercoaster of a time.

Last week I wondered why I’d bothered having the op at all. The pain in my groin was back with a vengeance. My thigh swelled up and was hard and painful and I could barely walk even with a walking stick.

To top it all I had toothache and a horrible cold. The dentist said I’ll have to see the hygienist every 3 months because of my hip op and won’t give antibiotics.

I guess I must have done too much last week but apart from cooking loads of meals I hadn’t done anything excessive.

Then two days ago I got out of bed and the pain had gone, the swelling is there but softer and I can walk unaided. The swelling hasn’t gone down since my op. It’s really noticeable in clothes as it just sticks out.

I still have trouble walking when I first stand up. It’s as though the top of my leg/groin have gone into spasm. It’s the same as pre op.

I’m disappointed that my mobility is still the same as pre op in that I can’t bend down to put socks or boots on and I can’t get dressed easily.

I just have a feeling that there’s something else going on and maybe I need a tendon release or something.

My right hip has started to get painful to lie on and every now and again the top of the leg/groin starts to spasm. I was hoping to get this one sorted before having the right one done but I’m wondering if I should mention it now to the Consultant.

I was feeling very sorry for myself last week but told myself to get a grip. So many people have it much worse than me. I think being ill and trying to get rid of the awful mould situation in my flat was just too much.

I did manage my first proper family walk yesterday. It was really lovely being near the sea and just being with them all.

Stopping by to wish you a Happy Three Month Anniversary!

You are only three months into a recovery that can last a full year or longer. It can have its ups and downs and at this point they are usually centered around finding the right balance between activity and rest. At this point it is very easy to overdo it on a good day.

A painful toothache and a nuisance cold only magnify any discomfort you are feeling surrounding your THR recovery. Hopefully both are history now.

Swelling can last for six months, my surgeon maintains a year for some, normally easing with the passage of time. If you're not already, ice and elevate frequently and see if you notice a difference. As the swelling eases it will likely become easier to dress and put socks on.

I think you should mention your concerns to the Consultant as well as talking over your right hip if you feel its on its way out. There's noting like having a plan in place and hopefully reassurance and peace of mind in regard to your other concerns.

Cheers to many more family walks by the sea in this new year!
@Brookeer

Ah thank you Layla.

I think this cold on top of another one was just too much. It’s not going unfortunately but my immune system is rubbish. It will go eventually.

I’m back to icing and I remembered a couple of days ago to do heel to toe walking. That really helps.

I’m pretty sure the bending won’t get better without intervention so I’ll see if the Consultant will see me again. He’s not very approachable but I’ll ask my physio at the next appointment.

Money is a worry as I thought I’d be back at work by now. Much as I’d like to retire a state pension doesn’t provide any quality of life. My savings have pretty much gone so I need to get better soon. I’m probably wanting to rush recovery because of that to be honest. I can’t go back to my usual job because mentally and physically I just couldn’t do it.

Hi, @Brookeer , I'm sorry to hear of your distress. You're in pain, not progressing as quickly as you'd been led to expect, and you need to get back to work. I think talking with the Consultant is a very good idea under the circumstances.

I'm almost at three months and deal daily with sometimes painful swelling. All we can do is rest and elevate, unfortunately, and remind ourselves it's normal, especially this soon in our recovery.

Not sure what's up with hip replacement and teeth crises. I broke a tooth at week 4 or 5 am cleared for a crown at 12 weeks, but I am required to take a high-dose antibiotic one hour beforehand.

Often dentists won't prescribe antibiotics for joint replacement patients, but they will not quibble if your OS provides you with one.

I also feel great sympathy for your exhaustion and reluctance to return to work this soon. Please keep us in the loop as you continue to deal with it all.
Take care.

I’m sorry you’re still getting swelling. I’m back to icing and elevating.

My chiropractor is doing an assessment tomorrow so it’ll be interesting to see if anything has improved since the last one before my op.

And teeth…. My dentist reckons it’s the medications I take that are making my gums sensitive and causing toothache.

I’ll ask the Consultant again about antibiotics.
The dentist said things have changed over the last 30 years and I’d do more harm than good taking them every three months. The last thing anyone wants though is a hip infection.

So sorry Brookeer to hear of your ongoing issues.
I've had two cleanings since my surgery and was advised to take antibiotics prior to the cleanings which I did. Saw my ortho yesterday and asked about the antibiotics going forward, he suggests using them for 2 years post op then not necessary.
Perhaps discomfort in good hip could be bursitis??? That's what I developed.
Keep us posted, all my best.

I did have bursitis when I had an ultrasound in November 2021 but didn’t have any symptoms from it and the surgeon didn’t comment on it.

I saw my chiropractor today and mentioned that my left foot is still turning inwards slightly when I walk. It was very noticeable when I had the op but the surgeon said it’d right itself.

The chiropractor said it’s hip contracture so the surgeon must surely have known that at the end of the operation as I just couldn’t have had range of motion.

On the ultrasound in 2021 it said I’ve got psoas tendinopathy and the psoas tendon appears mildly hypochoic, heterogenous and thickened (whatever that means).

I don’t know if it’ll ever get better as it’s been like that for over three years now. Why nothing was done about it I just don’t know.

The hospital physio is referring me back to my Consultant.
She said she’s concerned about the swelling on my thigh and said it shouldn’t be that bad at this stage.
She had a look at my MRI and ultrasound report from last year and said that I might just have to accept that I’ll never get my mobility back. That there’s nothing that can be done about the psoas tendinopathy.
Words can’t describe how disappointed I feel.

Oh, @Brookeer. I’m so sorry to hear about your mobility. I wish I had words of wisdom for you but I’m only in my 4th week of recovery and know next to nothing. It’s not much but I feel for you. I truly hope you’re only having a setback. :console2:

The hospital physio is referring me back to my Consultant.
She said she’s concerned about the swelling on my thigh and said it shouldn’t be that bad at this stage.
She had a look at my MRI and ultrasound report from last year and said that I might just have to accept that I’ll never get my mobility back. That there’s nothing that can be done about the psoas tendinopathy.
Words can’t describe how disappointed I feel.

I am continually shocked by the conservative and pessimistic way some medical professionals communicate. I hope you don’t give up hope. I did a quick google of iliopsoas tendinopathy and the first page of results are of various treatment options, from injections to eccentric PT exercises to gentle and consistent stretching. There may be more.

I’m learning that it can be so overwhelming to be healing a hip replacement. I hope you can give yourself some gentle self massages of the soft tissues around the tight areas, and keep pushing for options to get additional help when you have the energy.

Hang in there!!

Oh, Brookeer...I'm sorry you are so discouraged but I certainly think that there may be a possibility you need to discuss possible tendon release surgery with the consultant, and although I completely disagree with your PT's prognosis, I'm glad she is referring you so perhaps this can happen sooner rather than later.
Certainly not true.
Here is our library article on psoas tendinopathy... https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/psoas-tendinopathy-and-surgery.45784/
I saw my chiropractor today and mentioned that my left foot is still turning inwards slightly when I walk. It was very noticeable when I had the op but the surgeon said it’d right itself.

The chiropractor said it’s hip contracture so the surgeon must surely have known that at the end of the operation as I just couldn’t have had range of motion.
My bad hips caused mostly severe lower back and SI joint pain so I had almost 3 years of "investigation" as my range of motion worsened until, after many therapies, a neurologist finally ordered the connect hip imaging
Contracture of the hip is a fairly broad term, likely due to needing a hip replacement, so THR would address this - you needed this surgery.

On the ultrasound in 2021 it said I’ve got psoas tendinopathy and the psoas tendon appears mildly hypochoic, heterogenous and thickened (whatever that means).
This is definitely affecting your mobility and there are solutions.
I don’t know if it’ll ever get better as it’s been like that for over three years now. Why nothing was done about it I just don’t know.
The same as my situation and all of that time does affect what we have to come back from after THR.

Tagging in my cohorts with experience in tendon release:
@Hip4life @SaraK
Hopefully they can lend some insight so you discuss this succinctly with the consultant.

I am sorry you are having to deal with this, but because your PT can't fix this, and your chiro can't fix this, they shouldn't be leading you to believe this is not fixable.

Egos get involved and to a carpenter - everything looks like it needs a nail.

I think this is doable but with a method beyond their capabilities.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022