THR Brooksy’s Hip Recovery

My dentist called in my antibiotics for my cleaning. Amoxocillin hour or so before dental visit, four 500mg pills which sounded like and awfully big dose, but I had a good breakfast and a container of yogurt prior to taking them and had no ill effects.
Each OS and dentist is different.
 
My dentist called in my antibiotics for my cleaning. Amoxocillin hour or so before dental visit, four 500mg pills which sounded like and awfully big dose, but I had a good breakfast and a container of yogurt prior to taking them and had no ill effects.
Each OS and dentist is different.
That's the dose I was given when my tooth broke early this week.
 
My OS would have prescribed the antibiotics but I’ve always gotten them from my dentist when I’ve needed them. They actually ask./remind me about taking them an hour before my appt time. But I take four 500 mg amoxicillin. No biggie. I figure it also helps knock out anything else wicked going on inside! :heehee:
 
My dentist called in my antibiotics for my cleaning. Amoxocillin hour or so before dental visit, four 500mg pills which sounded like and awfully big dose, but I had a good breakfast and a container of yogurt prior to taking them and had no ill effects.
Each OS and dentist is different.
Thank you. I’ll ask my dentist and see what he says. I wonder if the UK isn’t as careful as America. There’s so much I’ve found out on here that I wasn’t told. I only found out about using ice on here which has been so good.
 
My OS would have prescribed the antibiotics but I’ve always gotten them from my dentist when I’ve needed them. They actually ask./remind me about taking them an hour before my appt time. But I take four 500 mg amoxicillin. No biggie. I figure it also helps knock out anything else wicked going on inside! :heehee:
Thank you. If my dentist doesn’t give them either I’ll try and get my own supply. There must be research to say they’re necessary and I don’t want to get an infected hip. Seems daft to chance it.
 
:hi: Hi Brookeer,
How is your recovery going these days? Hopefully things are looking up and you're feeling stronger each month. You've reached another milestone...Happy Two Moth Anniversary! I hope you have a nice weekend!
@Brookeer
 
Ah thank you so much for remembering.

It’s a strange time. I’m still not able to walk unaided and feel very stiff. It’s definitely getting stronger but it’s painfully slow. I’d say the pain is worse than post op.

I’m seeing my own physio on Thursday and hoping he’ll help. I don’t trust the hospital physio.

I really hoped I’d be further along but it is what it is.

I saw someone yesterday whose mother had it done five years ago. Her first reaction on seeing me was ‘my Mum could play tennis at 8 weeks!’
I could hardly speak to her. I was walking with one crutch so how she found her remark helpful I don’t know.

One thing I wish I could sort myself out with is thinking about the next one.

I was so relieved when I had this done and felt like I’d got my life back then at the follow up when the consultant told me to see him when the other one gets painful has sent me to the pits. I feel like I’m sitting on a time bomb.

I had seen the x rays at my first consultation and at the follow up so knew the other one looked as bad but I think I was just in denial.

I don’t know when it’ll get painful. The mobility has certainly reduced which on reflection is how the other one started but that got painful just getting out of the car one day. There was no other warning.

The thought of going through that pain for another three years and then recovery time is all I can think about. I don’t want to but I also don’t know how to stop it. I feel like my life is on hold again. I’m 68 and just want to get back to living.

Sorry for the miserable post but I can’t tell anyone else. I’ve written and deleted this several times as I thought I couldn’t send it.
 
Hi @Brookeer or hello and good evening if you prefer. I saw that woman's Mum playing tennis 8 weeks after her hip replacement. She lost the first set 6-0 and had to stop as she wasn't able to get a serve over, nor move at all and in fact sat in a chair with risers on...wasn't a good game at all.

So, for my first hip, couldn't do a lot after 3 and a half months apart from taking meds and hobbling about and was told at hospital physio everything was fine. I then went to private sports physio who stuck in his elbow in an area near incision, 30 seconds, no more, I jumped off table. The physio I had at UK hospital, NHS Patient sent private was rubbish. But getting better takes time. I wasnt great for a long time but eventually it sorted itself out...about a year. And if you need the other one done then get it done..no choice. It is depressing the waiting for improvement but again, no choice.
 
Haha thanks for letting me know you saw her That was funny.

I’m the same as you being an NHS patient in a private hospital. Their physio caused a big set back in my recovery.

My physio called me this morning and said he thinks I’d benefit from being stretched and massaged and I trust him so I’m really hoping Thursday will bring an improvement.

I think I’d face the prospect of the next one better if I knew when it would be. Just waiting for pain before I even get a referral seems crazy. The hip is knackered and I’m losing mobility so you’d think they could just get it done before I get older.
 
The one I just had done was a long time coming for several reasons. Anyway, I got lost in the system last year and started again in Jan with x ray. Saw surgeon in June who said January and got a call end of August saying 15 Sept. East Anglia seems to be quite good for shorter waiting times and you can of course take your funding outside of your area. I did feel for the first op that the horsepital just wanted rid of me as an NHS patient and you don't get the same food as the private patients. Second op same thing, NHS patient, private hospital, same group different area, fantastic.

And the reason I know so much about your that woman's tennis is because it was me that beat her and I enjoyed it....
 
Well, likely lots of reasons for more pain than previous. I am also 6 weeks post surgery. 9 days ago I was walking fine, almost no pain. The last 9 days I have been laid low by a really bad case of RSV, where I could barely get out of bed. Now I am wobbly and walking hurts.

Sorry you are hurting. I guess setbacks come easy. We bend too far by mistake, or too much PT, or too little walking. We are vulnerable during recovery.

Surgeons do tend to be abrupt. Any way you can forward a list of questions or issues to him or his PA? Or request another appt? We have to be our own advocates.

Good luck.
 
It sounds like you, dane lady and myself have all been hit hard with RSV. I am guessing that is what it is. I feel like an 18 wheeler has run over me just like @danelady said. Havent been this sick in a long time. Worse that the first week after my hip surgery. I am a week out so am hoping it will be gone in a week. I cant even think about going out for a walk. The cough and lung congestion is the worse. I hope you and dane lady get better soon!
 
@lanstan Haha...yeah, this bug is HORRIBLE! Temp is still up to 101.1. But I don't have a respiratory infection...no wheezing or coughing, lungs are clear and I definitely still have my appetite, lol. My neighbor just asked if I'd like them to send over a plate for dinner. Don't have to ask me twice, lol.

What I am is very weak and in a lot of pain, all I want to do is sleep. I'll be signing off soon after a short visit.
I'm not really sure who you're talking to besides me....so I'll just back out right now. hahaha
 
Ah thank you so much for remembering.

It’s a strange time. I’m still not able to walk unaided and feel very stiff. It’s definitely getting stronger but it’s painfully slow. I’d say the pain is worse than post op.

I’m seeing my own physio on Thursday and hoping he’ll help. I don’t trust the hospital physio.

I really hoped I’d be further along but it is what it is.

I saw someone yesterday whose mother had it done five years ago. Her first reaction on seeing me was ‘my Mum could play tennis at 8 weeks!’
I could hardly speak to her. I was walking with one crutch so how she found her remark helpful I don’t know.

One thing I wish I could sort myself out with is thinking about the next one.

I was so relieved when I had this done and felt like I’d got my life back then at the follow up when the consultant told me to see him when the other one gets painful has sent me to the pits. I feel like I’m sitting on a time bomb.

I had seen the x rays at my first consultation and at the follow up so knew the other one looked as bad but I think I was just in denial.

I don’t know when it’ll get painful. The mobility has certainly reduced which on reflection is how the other one started but that got painful just getting out of the car one day. There was no other warning.

The thought of going through that pain for another three years and then recovery time is all I can think about. I don’t want to but I also don’t know how to stop it. I feel like my life is on hold again. I’m 68 and just want to get back to living.

Sorry for the miserable post but I can’t tell anyone else. I’ve written and deleted this several times as I thought I couldn’t send it.
I can really relate to your post, Brookeer. I'm not seeing the progress I'd hoped for at week 7. This past week I regressed to full-time use of a walker, and my nonop hip is the problem, having developed what looks like inflammed bursa. On the xray, the nonop hip looks every bit as bad now as my operative hip did preop.

You describe perfectly how I feel now-- like a ticking time bomb. I've spent hours staring at the ceiling wondering when the nonop hip...or knee...or shoulder goes next. You're right. It's terrifying!

At my worst, I see no future. But then I remember the many posts by bonesmarters reassuring me that so many of us have had long recoveries that eventually led to better lives.

And more than a few on this forum have had both hips replaced. It's daunting, but doable! They have their lives back. So when I'm at my best, I read and reread posts from members who've had "twofers." If they can do it, I can when I have to , tho admittedly I will never want to!

My heart goes out to you, Brookeer. If you can, ignore the Tales Tennis Mums as told by their ugly and inconsiderate daughters. They have nothing to teach us. Fortunately, we've got access to some great teachers at bonesmart. Read and reread the posts of those who've walked the Double THR Road we may soon embark on. They're great mentors! :loveshwr:
 
One thing I wish I could sort myself out with is thinking about the next one.
As soon as you start feeling any symptoms in that other hip, get your surgery scheduled. I found recovery from my second THR much easier. I didn't limp around for years before that op.
 
One thing I wish I could sort myself out with is thinking about the next one.
As soon as you start feeling any symptoms in that other hip, get your surgery scheduled. I found recovery from my second THR much easier. I didn't limp around for years before that op.
Thanks. I don’t think it’ll be long to be honest. Probably best getting it over with.
 
Ah thank you so much for remembering.

It’s a strange time. I’m still not able to walk unaided and feel very stiff. It’s definitely getting stronger but it’s painfully slow. I’d say the pain is worse than post op.

I’m seeing my own physio on Thursday and hoping he’ll help. I don’t trust the hospital physio.

I really hoped I’d be further along but it is what it is.

I saw someone yesterday whose mother had it done five years ago. Her first reaction on seeing me was ‘my Mum could play tennis at 8 weeks!’
I could hardly speak to her. I was walking with one crutch so how she found her remark helpful I don’t know.

One thing I wish I could sort myself out with is thinking about the next one.

I was so relieved when I had this done and felt like I’d got my life back then at the follow up when the consultant told me to see him when the other one gets painful has sent me to the pits. I feel like I’m sitting on a time bomb.

I had seen the x rays at my first consultation and at the follow up so knew the other one looked as bad but I think I was just in denial.

I don’t know when it’ll get painful. The mobility has certainly reduced which on reflection is how the other one started but that got painful just getting out of the car one day. There was no other warning.

The thought of going through that pain for another three years and then recovery time is all I can think about. I don’t want to but I also don’t know how to stop it. I feel like my life is on hold again. I’m 68 and just want to get back to living.

Sorry for the miserable post but I can’t tell anyone else. I’ve written and deleted this several times as I thought I couldn’t send it.
I can really relate to your post, Brookeer. I'm not seeing the progress I'd hoped for at week 7. This past week I regressed to full-time use of a walker, and my nonop hip is the problem, having developed what looks like inflammed bursa. On the xray, the nonop hip looks every bit as bad now as my operative hip did preop.

You describe perfectly how I feel now-- like a ticking time bomb. I've spent hours staring at the ceiling wondering when the nonop hip...or knee...or shoulder goes next. You're right. It's terrifying!

At my worst, I see no future. But then I remember the many posts by bonesmarters reassuring me that so many of us have had long recoveries that eventually led to better lives.

And more than a few on this forum have had both hips replaced. It's daunting, but doable! They have their lives back. So when I'm at my best, I read and reread posts from members who've had "twofers." If they can do it, I can when I have to , tho admittedly I will never want to!

My heart goes out to you, Brookeer. If you can, ignore the Tales Tennis Mums as told by their ugly and inconsiderate daughters. They have nothing to teach us. Fortunately, we've got access to some great teachers at bonesmart. Read and reread the posts of those who've walked the Double THR Road we may soon embark on. They're great mentors! :loveshwr:
I’m so sorry you’re feeling the same. I think a part of it is having no control and not being able to plan anything. Plus ‘that’ pre op pain! I can’t face that. I had bursitis in the non operated hip on an MRI 14 months ago and I doubt that’s improved. Nothing was said or done about it though. They don’t seem to be interested unless I’m in pain.

If I had a date for the next one I’d probably be upset at first then just glad it was being done.
I hadn’t noticed the mobility was going in the non operated one until I started doing some exercises with my new hip. I can’t straighten it to 90 degrees. Also I can’t put a sock on.

I don’t think they’d operate just because of that though.

Like you I read other posts. Some are reassuring and others make me wonder what I could be doing to improve more quickly.

I’ll get my head around it all eventually and really appreciate this forum.
 
I get it. No way I can allow my "good" bad hip to disable me the way i did with the first one. Do you believe I was too dense to know that crippling thigh and groin pain were symptoms of a bad hip? Now I so much get a twinge of either and I freak out.

I have a good friend who almost died in labor. We all knew what a horror the experience had been for her. Yet do you know how often some idiot would say to her, "I never felt more powerful as a woman than when I delivered." Well, bully for you. When someone tells me how quickly they were 110% after surgery, I let it hang in the air. Then walker myself away, head held high. Of course, when I'm home alone again, I swear and cry. :hairpulling:

Everything you're going through, I'm right beside you. X
 
Back
Top Bottom