Revision THR Hope for 2020, Revised THR

Good to hear that things are actually improving. I agree that it's hard to tell what's muscle and tissue issues. We definitely learn as we go along. Glad that he's thinking it's the leftover scaring from pinning and bone graft.

The mattress is a definite improvement over the old one! We're not too sure how accurate the smart IQ readings are but don't care as long as we're comfortable. I'm continuing to plug along, at that boring part of recovery where not a lot seems to be happening. Still have some pains, aches, zips, whatever they are in my hip and mostly outer thigh. The OS thought it might be bursitis but I'm thinking it's just all that soft tissue/muscle healing going on as it moves around. Nothing too major, more annoying than anything. :snork:

Glad you are enjoying it @Elf1 Always wondered about the sleep IQ. We are due for an upgrade.

The outer hip you are describing was the last for me to heal. Still making progress. I had lateral surgery, did you? Agree it can be boring, but zips are encouraging that things are waking up in there. Good luck!

The mattress is great, I like that if you move around in bed it automatically keeps it at your sleep number of if more pressure is exerted on a specific area. The readings from the IQ I think are still trying to get use to us. I go lay down and watch TV long before I go to sleep because I like to stretch out so it thinks it takes all that time for me to call asleep.

I think I had anterior lateral, something like that. My scar is on my right thigh and hip (side mostly) and is about 6 inches long. That's still where most of my pain, etc is at. Was really lucky, had minimal swelling and almost no bruising because if you look at me, mostly arms, cross eyed I end up with tears and bruising. Found some stuff online that's supposed to help, just got it the other day so keeping fingers crossed. :fingersx:

Good luck to you as well, will stop by and check on you here and there.

This past month have seen great improvement on outside muscles that run down outer side of leg. Have also been working on inner leg muscles with isolated exercise and a soft ball. Hoping all this will help stabilize my gait. Fingers crossed.

This is encouraging to read. So happy you're noticing progress, be it slow, you're moving in the right direction. I hope the tendinitis (if it's actually tendinitis) eases soon and you continue to notice steady movement forward.
Wishing you a week of healing, comfort and peace. :)
@Fit4Family

Good morning, @Fit4Family, I thought I'd just stop by and check in on how you're doing. We're having a run of lovely sunny days this week, such a mood booster for me, especially since when I roll out of bed at about 7:00 AM it's dark and gloomy out there, and so mood elevating when the horizon turns pink and blue and nary a cloud in sight to start the day. Sounds like improvements are continuing for you, as those muscles on your inner thigh are strengthened and your gait improves. It's my inner thigh that's causing me problems at the moment, and it's making the inside of my knee ache, too. But, two steps forward, one step back--we're all headed in the right direction despite the bumps along the way. Happy Tuesday!

@Fit4Family I liked reading your most recent update. You are doing more and with caution and it sounds like it's paying off for you.. hugs to you!!

You mentioned the outer side of the hip. That was a very sore spot early on for me, my surgeon's PA mentioned to me that many people feel that way post op and for quite some time. Hopefully yours (and mine) is of the usual stuff.
We had drizzly rain today and I am feeling it, much to my surprise. How is this day treating you? Or maybe you don't have the rain there yet? :yes:

Hello @Layla How are you doing? Hope you had a relaxing weekend.

Good to know the side of the thigh is a usual area that lingers on some. My PT has been getting creative with a few isometric exercises that I’m tolerating well and they are helping. That outer band of muscles got operated on twice so it makes sense that they are the last to get it together. Warm wishes. ❤️

Hi @CricketHip Hugs right back to you. :loveshwr:

Glad your outer thigh is coming along nicely. Seems like most of us have some lingering twinges there. Sorry it’s drizzling there. We have overcast skies, crazy warm. Looks like we will get a big storm Thursday bringing in normal temps. Do you notice more pain when it rains? Hope you are doing well. Just back from PT and a much needed haircut! Feeling pretty good for a Tuesday.

Hello @Barbaraj

You are so deserving of some bright sunny days out there. Mood elevating for sure! :SUNsmile: I’m a morning person, so always appreciate waking up to the sun. The inner thigh has been tricky for me to build up without gym equipment. I use a slightly deflated kids ball and squeeze between knees. Started at about 20% strength, isolating that inner thigh muscle, hold 5 seconds, repeat 10 if not painful. Worked up to three sets throughout day.

You sound like you are doing remarkably well. Happy you are making such consistent progress!

Looks like we will get a big storm Thursday bringing in normal temps. Do you notice more pain when it rains?
[/QUOTE

I actually don't. At least not in my new joints. I tend to feel it in my neck and my spine.. The car accident from many years ago is the gift that keeps on giving. :wink:

Or maybe they drown out anything the hips are saying about the weather.
Yes, I think it's going to be a big storm on Thursday, The poor little beggars.. But then my sun is in Colorado with temps in the 20's and snow and a wind chill.. :yikes:

I'm glad you are feeling mighty fine today, a haircut, too!
I must tell you, I love the way you keep so level headed about your recovery and you are a very articulate writer. A real ray of sunshine! :SUNsmile:

Aww thank you @CricketHip I feel very fortunate to be sharing this with you as well. Glad your new joints don’t respond to weather. Sorry to hear you have lingering symptoms from your accident. Not fun.

I remember those Colorado storms. Best part was how quickly the sun comes back out. Snow melts almost as soon as it falls this time of year.

Last edited:
I remember those Colorado storms. Best part was how quickly the sun comes back out. Snow melts almost as soon as it falls this time of year.

That's what my son always says, too! He sent me pictures of their back yard, it did look rather pretty. I really like Colorado. :roseshwr:

Thinking of you and hope you heal soon. Good you had the MRI so at least you know don't you think. I know what you mean about not knowing what is sore muscles from lack of activity...
re the magnesium pills. What are you taking and what dosage and brand. I am interested.
Thanks! take it easy!

I love Colorado @CricketHip ❤️ My sister and her family still live there. It’s a gorgeous place.

Hello @lotusbuds

I am still processing MRI results, but yes, at least I know nothing crazy is wrong, like a detached tendon or something. Ruminating over my surgeons comments has had me tossing and turning the last several nights. But hey, more information can’t hurt right?

I purchased Magnesium Glycinate by Pure on Amazon It hasn’t been as magical this week. Too many worries floating around in my head I guess. Do think it’s helping my muscles relax. No bad side effects, so might be worth trying.

Hope you are having a good week! You take it easy too. Thinking about you!

:mcoffee: Good morning. I am just catching up on your thread and I am happy to see you are hanging in there on this long recovery journey.

Report showed lots of edema and inflammation
Wonder if @CricketHip has any ideas about how to get your lymphatic system working better to resolve some of this.
He strongly advised against any exercise except light walking, swimming and cycling as pain tolerates
Gluteous minimus tendon still inflamed.
Is the OS the one that suggested the ball exercises?
This past month have seen great improvement on outside muscles that run down outer side of leg. Have also been working on inner leg muscles with isolated exercise and a soft ball
Is this just sitting exercises...not bridges with the ball, right?
I guess my thoughts are though this works inner thigh...glutes are bound to get on the party and though your thigh muscles are getting more defined, is it possible it is straining the glutes also?

Just throwing out some thoughts as I know you want to keep these muscles engaged without doing harm.
I so want things to get easier for you.

Good Morning Two Cups.jpeg Sweet Sarah

My internet was askew yesterday after I posted on my thread and it took Hubby till 10pm to correct things.He was in a senior position in IT with Renault Trucks for 23 years and knows what's what, but this stumped him and he still has more to do.

I am pleased and intrigued regarding your MRI results. I know it is so frustrating when there is no definitive answer. My friend here who had her hip replacement beginning of December (so nearly 11 months ago) is still suffering with her Tendonitis, has no answers, is on exercise and using a cane and if she doesn't improve in a month they will give a Cortisone shot!

Remember we have a Christmas goal to look forward to ... and that is still two months away ... plenty of time for us to get our acts polished. Keep plodding on...

Tortoise2.jpeg Izzy xx

Well, nothing really helpful to add to everyone's comments, @Fit4Family, except my sympathies that your healing process is taking so darn long! I have to believe that your surgeon's directives about just doing walking or other light exercise are probably sensible, although if some of the targeted exercises you're doing are helping strengthen some leg muscles, I'd cautiously continue with those. You are going to heal, just not within the timeframe you'd like. I am sure this is frustrating, but exercising our "patience muscle" is clearly what we all need to do during hip recovery. Hang in there, and slowly but surely you'll get to full recovery. Have a good day!

My PT has been getting creative with a few isometric exercises that I’m tolerating well and they are helping. That outer band of muscles got operated on twice so it makes sense that they are the last to get it together.

:hi: I am doing well and had a nice weekend, thanks for your sweet sentiment.

This is positive news! Anything that makes you feel as though you're taking a step in the right direction without causing you pain, or a set back. And it does make sense that the more irritated and traumatized the area was, the longer and slower the healing. I have every confidence you'll get there, just keep moving along at a comfortable pace. :walking:
Hope you're having a wonderful Wednesday. Enjoy the afternoon and evening! @Fit4Family

Hello @Mojo333

You have been along my side every step of this journey. :hi:❤️

My pain is currently dictating everything I do. If it hurts, I stop. :spin:

The pain is right at the outer part of hip, right where it’s mostly been since early July. I don’t do any leg lifts, side lifts or stairs (toddler style only) No bridges. Don’t think I could if I tried. Lol.

PY suggested the ball exercise and have no ill effects. The ball is slightly deflated and between knees while seated. Oddly glutes never hurt, except good pain from regular exertion. It’s just that darn spot at my hip and my knee if I’m not carefully monitoring my gait. Usually if I’ve overdone it.

My OS seemed truly stumped as to why pain continues. We discussed loose stem, cup size, fracture site and general muscles that were moved during both surgeries. None of which look likely from MRI or X-ray. Also talked about tendons. He hinted towards my sitting too much. :headbang: Got my husband mad as it was his direction to stay on walker for 3 months. But, I’m trying to stop going back over it all ......... and not let him discourage me. He also said if I still have pain at one year, we may need to look at a surgical solution. Which would have very high complication rate. Hence my tossing and turning.

So, I am trying to stay hopeful and push myself daily to do a little more each day. Today I was back at the arthritis pool walking forward and backwards. Felt pretty good.

Please don’t be shy if you anyone thinks of something else. I’m literally baffled. On the funny side, have made two friends at the pool who are probably in their 80’s. They are giving me tips. Lol on pool noddles and dumb bells. Got to look for the light side in all this.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Bassetmom
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom