Bilateral TKR Recovery

Minnie77

Country
United States United States
Ok..... I had my bilateral knee surgery yesterday. I knew there would be pain but not this bad. They feel like they are ripping my legs apart. I do have them elevated I also have that ice machine with the double hook up. Is there any tips please because I'm about lose ot

@Minnie77 Welcome to the other side. Ice as much as you can. These early days can be tough. Ice will ease the swelling that is causing you pain.

What pain medication are you taking - how much and how often?

I'll leave you some reading to do. The articles are short but the information may help you through this journey.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this Activity progression for TKRs

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

@Jaycey I'm on fentanyl, oxycodone, tylenol and valium. I've had ice on it this whole time. Wasn't sure if not being able stand or walk is normal. Thank you!

@Minnie77 You are on some pretty powerful pain medication and you are only one day out from some very major surgery. Please don't worry about how much you can move around. Ice, take your meds and rest, rest, rest! Are you already home from the hospital? If not, I assume PT will need to get you up and moving about on your own before you leave.

Hang in there my friend. Early days - things will get better every day.

@Minnie77

I totally feel for you .... im feeling exactly the same I was operated today .....

Wishing a lesser pain tomorrow
Hang in there- they all say it does improve

I haven't walked yet - I get that pleasure tomorrow

Sending a big hug xxx
Sarah

Bilateral knees is a lot of pain to come to terms over. It will take a few days, based on my experience, but I can tolerate it now. Sending thoughts your way for the ability to get your pain under control soon!

Thank you all!! I have a problem of not knowing how to sit still. I guess this will change that I may be on the upswing but we'll see once I get up for the day. PT has been in 3 times already. But I could only walk like 5 steps. No one has said if I'm going to go to rehab or just go home. Thank you all again for the love and support

Wasn't sure if not being able stand or walk is normal.
Absolutely.
But I could only walk like 5 steps
:happydance: That's brilliant.

Relax, please don't worry, take your meds, relax, have I said 'take it easy'? I'd say stay in hospital as long as you can. Is your home environment set up in order for you to be able to do very little?

Hoping you are much improved today! I’m following your recovery as I’m contemplating bilateral too.

4 days out and I have to say it's slightly better. One good thing is that I could not sleep before because of the bone pain in my knees but laying down I don't have too much pain. Still on all those pills and they make me feel loopy and make me spell bad don't text when your on drugs I couldn't even make out what I was trying to say. Pt said today would be more stairs and get in some car simulator. Definitely need to stay up on my pills. Anyway feel pretty decent only thing is getting in and out of bed feeling like my flesh and bones are being ripped off. Don't worry I checked and they are still hahaha

You’ve still got a sense of humour through all this @Minnie77 that will stand you in good stead.

Bilateral TKR’s :groan: No wonder walking is difficult... hoping it improves.. make the most of being waited on...

I’m having one TKR on Monday.... if you can do two I’m sure I can do one !!!:rotfl:

Sending healing thoughts your way xxx

don't text when your on drugs
This made me laugh. I took away my social media posting privileges while I was on the good drugs after I posted something that was...oversharing. lol Nothing but kittens and puppies allowed after that.

I am in awe. Now that I know how bad one leg is, I can't imagine having both of them at the same time. On the other hand, 6 weeks from now, you'll be over all the hard parts without another one looming, and that will be wonderful. I needed to do mine serially and I've basically been out all summer.

So I'm now 5 nights in. Pain is definitely better except getting in and out of the bed. I can walk with a walker. Haven't tried my crutches yet. Legs still feel like lead so that's why I can't move then thank you for all the kind words she tips

Things will improve. :console2:

Are you still in the hospital?

Hey Bilateral Buddy! My surgery was October 1st. You hanging in there? I just managed to get it together enough to log in here!

Ok finally at home. My issue is and please don't tell me its just me. So I walked yesterday tried stairs and got into a moch car. I will not be driving anytime soon. Anyways today feels like my kneecap keeps buckling and cracking. It really bothers with the pain and everything else going on. Has anyone else had this happen

Just take things slow and steady. You will have aches and pains and lots of wobbly feelings in these early days. Don't panic - just rest.

Read the guidelines I posted here when you were in hospital and get that icing and elevation going. Very early days for you!

I'm seriously impressed I had my left knee replaced on Thursday today is day 4 - day 1 & 2 were unbearable and this is only one leg so "wow " go girl ...
Thankfully I arrived home today and intend to take it easy it's not everyday we get pampered so as long as I can push my luck gonna let hubby do the hard work hihihi:rotfl:
Following your recovery.
Best of luck and I hope you don't feel too much pain xx

I'm sure it's been answered before but I feel like I'm drowning in the knee replacement hole. I've been home from hospital since Sunday. PT has come 3 times but have done nothing because my blood pressure is too high and I'm dizzy. Well yesterday and today my knees have swelled beyond belief and the one has a pain on the outside. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to have all this painful fluid going on. I have absolutely no bruising either. All I've done is little walks, ankle pumps and butt squeezes. Not top mention being hooked to my ice machine with leg elevated the rest of the time. I can't figure out how to sleep or relax with this fluid taking over. Anyways I had bilateral knee October 9th

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dcytpoti
Recent bookmarks
Back