• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

TKR Zena831’s Road to Recovery

At only three days post op I'd be lying if I said you're not making me a smidge nervous. :wink:
I will trust that you're moving slowly and carefully and if anything hurts, you'll stop. Hopefully the terrain leading to the chicken coop is level without any divots? Would hate to see you trip, or fall, so early on.
Thank you and I am a bit nervous too when I go out but am staying on even surfaces.

My hubs was watching as I made it from the sidewalk to our driveway which is blacktopped when I went to the coop yesterday. The driveway then goes to even grass. I was/am taking very very slow, small steps and easy to not step wrong or have any sort of mis-step. When I went up/down the driveway later in the evening, hubs was right beside me.

Believe me when I say slow. We joke that I’ll get there in 3-4 days time. We walked up to the coop again today, mid morning, and he put a chair in the shade for me while he watered and checked the chicken feed along with checking what’s left in our garden. He collected the eggs and then we slowly made out way back to the house.

I am truly grateful for hubby being right there beside me. My dogs are around but being very cautious and keeping their distance from the walker. It seems they are actually paying attention to their surroundings which they normally don’t do. :doggie::dogsniff:

Recovery Day 7:

I went to PT this morning it hurt but definitely not like Monday. I had a four hour Virtual Hiring Event for work (thank goodness I work from home), and then headed to my one week post op appointment. Needless to say, by 7pm I was ready for bed. Way too much activity today.

However, a good report from my doc. X-rays look good thus far. Happy with the incision site after they removed the waterproof tape and wound vac. They showed me how to keep it bandaged for the next few weeks, as I continue to heal. I just have my Steri Strips (no staples or sutures) and they will fall off in time. The feeling in certain parts of my leg is coming back slowly. That’s always a good thing.

I still have a ton of swelling and bruising but I am on the upswing after the first week. Thank you to my Grandmother for the inherited thighs and calves. I’ve definitely been wearing my compression stockings all day, every day. Blood clots and PEs are bad juju (ask me how I know).

My doctor finally prescribed me something that may touch the pain. At first the cocktail of meds was working but over the last few days, it hasn’t touched it. I have been around the house on my walker but no where else. The muscle/tendon just behind the outer part of my knee has a burning sensation. PT told me that it was trying to fire and is just totally inflamed and irritated.

Hubs is prepping food for tomorrow and I’m sitting here supervising. I wish I was able to help. Dang,I feel guilty.

66F1FB6F-12AE-4637-882D-223D3DFD2EA1.jpeg

Hi Zena,
It is always reassuring to receive a good report from your surgeon. I hope adjusting the meds helps ease your pain. Try not to feel guilty about your inability to help hubs food prep. You're recovering from major surgery through no fault of your own. Hopefully you enjoy the day tomorrow...in comfort. Happy Thanksgiving!
@Zena831

Looking good for a week out! And I'm glad your doc paid attention to your pain and changed the regimen to try and get you more comfortable.
You'll have many Thanksgiving dinners ahead of you to fuss over; this one you get to play Big Boss :tada:
Best to you and yours for Thanksgiving!

I wish I was able to help. Dang,I feel guilty.
Now, is the time for your husband to take care of you. You have no reason to feel guilty. When you new knee is all healed you'll have all the time you need to nurture him again. It is his turn now. Let him enjoy the blessing of babying you!

I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving and I do appreciate all of you along the words of encouragement.

I have had more pain these last few days. I’m trying to do my exercises to get everything firing but it is the worst pain ever. I was sitting with with my leg propped up last night and had occasional pain firing through certain parts. It was like a knife sticking me here and there, just for a few minutes and then stopped. I’m guessing that’s normal but definitely felt very weird.

I do have a question: the doctors have me in an immobilizer and want me to wear it 8 hours at a time (preferably overnight). When I wear it, I feel like it takes me hours (after coming out of it) to get my knee to want to move comfortably. It that normal? I understand they don’t want my curling that knee at night, but should it be that uncomfortable?

I do have a question: the doctors have me in an immobilizer and want me to wear it 8 hours at a time (preferably overnight).
I've not heard of this before. Did your doctor say why he wants you to do this? I had an immobilizer on each leg 100% of the time after my 2 patellectomies for 4-6 weeks. My knees were very stiff when I first removed them, but slowly returned to normal by just doing my normal daily activities. You will be fine, too. It just takes time and patience.

I do have a question: the doctors have me in an immobilizer and want me to wear it 8 hours at a time (preferably overnight).
I've not heard of this before. Did your doctor say why he wants you to do this? I had an immobilizer on each leg 100% of the time after my 2 patellectomies for 4-6 weeks. My knees were very stiff when I first removed them, but slowly returned to normal by just doing my normal daily activities. You will be fine, too. It just takes time and patience.
Thank you. They just want to keep straight for 8 hours. Although, I really didn’t ask the ‘Why’, which I should have. My fault.

I wore it yesterday while resting in the chair but didn’t wear it overnight. That was actually one of the best nights sleep since surgery. I am a very patient person until it comes to me not being able to get around like I want.

I took a shower today and I can honestly say that I was so worn out afterwards. I know that happens and has in some of my previous surgeries but this was the first time for the knee. Maybe I got too hot or something.

Anyway, just taking it day by day and hoping to move just a little bit better with time. Definitely not looking forward to PT tomorrow morning. :bawl:

Keeping a leg in any one position for eight hours after a straightforward TKA seems counter intuitive when most surgeons encourage us to move and just caution against bending the knee with any pressure behind it (to minimize risk of blood clots). I'm very interested to learn what your surgeon's reasoning is!
Meanwhile congratulations on a good night's sleep!!!!

I wore it yesterday while resting in the chair but didn’t wear it overnight. That was actually one of the best night's sleep since surgery.
Fantastic! I think you have found a workaround it. A good night's sleep in most important in the recovery!

Ugh. The dreaded TEDS. My surgeon requires them for six weeks. I’m halfway through. I did order some from Amazon that fit much better than the ones I was sent home in.

Ugh. The dreaded TEDS. My surgeon requires them for six weeks. I’m halfway through. I did order some from Amazon that fit much better than the ones I was sent home in.
I too ordered some from Amazon. However, they are thigh highs and have the little rubber nubs on them to help keep them up. I had to remove them because after the first night, I has red rash from being so hot in them and now they have formed into scabs.

If I may ask, can you tell me which ones you ordered? I like mine but the rubber didn’t like me. I still have 4.5 weeks to go for the TEDs.

Keeping a leg in any one position for eight hours after a straightforward TKA seems counter intuitive when most surgeons encourage us to move and just caution against bending the knee with any pressure behind it (to minimize risk of blood clots). I'm very interested to learn what your surgeon's reasoning is!
Meanwhile congratulations on a good night's sleep!!!!
I’m actually going to call the office tomorrow to have them call me in more pain meds and specifically ask about the Why behind the immobilizer.

Hi Zena,
It's been a month now since your surgery. I'll bet you're counting down the days till you can toss the TEDS aside, or into the trash. :wink: Gosh I thought those things were miserable.
Happy One Month Anniversary! I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and a blessed 2024!
@Zena831

Hi Zena,
It's been a month now since your surgery. I'll bet you're counting down the days till you can toss the TEDS aside, or into the trash. :wink: Gosh I thought those things were miserable.
Happy One Month Anniversary! I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and a blessed 2024!
@Zena831
Thank you. Sorry, I have been preoccupied with my mother in law who fell sick a couple of weeks ago.

Tomorrow is 5 weeks and I cannot wait to stop using the immobilizer in 7 more days. Now that my steristrips are off some times it feels like it is rubbing my incision raw. The TEDs have honestly not been an issue for the most part. I didn’t wear them today although maybe I should have since it only got to the mid 50s here.

So I am having some issues with my physical therapist. She was great up to about 2 weeks ago and then all of a sudden she is telling me that I am not measuring well enough. I have been to the doctor and he is pleased with where I am currently. He said he is more worried about my leg extension and being completely flat right now more so than my bend.

I saw him on 12/08 and I was -5 to 101. I am about -3 to 110 this week. My PT on Monday kept saying that I was too stiff and guarding my leg. She had me doing those ever hated heal slides. I was going as much as I could. She asked me to relax and then all of a such shoved my knee to try and make it bend. I came up off that table swinging and yelled where people heard me in the lobby. I also had immediate tears streaming down my cheeks. I didn’t mean cry but she physically hurt me. She never apologized for what she did and acted like it was no big deal. All she said was, we have to get this moving because if he has to go back in to manually manipulate this one it is going to feel worse. :censored:

Needless to say, I have been living with the ice machine as much as I did right after surgery. My knee swelled again and I could not put any weight on it until mid afternoon today. I called my doctors office and told them what happened. They wanted me to keep elevated and ice it to see if it went back down. They also said they were going to be calling that office asking why? I did ask them again about where they want me to be and they said I’m on par for being right at 5 weeks and they don’t expect 120 until 6 months. They also told me to stand my ground and change up therapists. I did cancel PT today and they texted me to ask why although I had already explained it when I canceled the appt.

We are all different so can I ask where each of you were/are at currently?

I have been on my cane for a week now. It is a very old cane which is pretty cool. It belonged to my Great, Great Aunt and then my Grandmother used it. We are the only 3 in the family who it fit perfectly. We are the most vertically challenged.

Last edited:
Oh. My.
I am SO sorry and I'm really glad you put a quick stop to it, called your ortho, and followed up with the PT office.
I hope your mother in law is on the mend.
This set back will hopefully be brief... sending a ((hug)).

I have been in your shoes!
#1 let no one touch your leg. Tell them you cannot touch me.

#2 share the Bone Smart protocol AND if they will not adhere, get a new pt! Or just get a new one anyway. Regardless she still needs to see the protocol.

You deserve the best. Demand it! All of us are behind you!!

That is so awful, not only the new soft tissue injury but it will make it hard to trust even another PT. Once you get better, if you are doing heel slides, don’t go past the first point of discomfort. Slow and easy should get you where you want to be.

Hi @Zena831--I had a Left TKR 2 days before you did. I just went to PT today and I would say we are at about just the same zone of flexion and I'm a little worse than your extension. I had problems with extension BEFORE my surgery and that seems to be the hardest part for me to change. Just to give you another perspective, my PT is very satisfied with my progress, so take that to heart and know that some others would NOT view you as having any kind of problem right now.

As I read your post, I think I gasped when I read your description of your PT telling you to relax and then doing that. I'm so sorry that happened to you. How can you do well with someone who has hurt your trust like that? PT is challenging enough when you have faith in your PT; you worry about whether or not you'll do okay, be sore, etc. You certainly don't need to wonder if someone is going to hurt you. Ironic that she criticized you for "guarding" your leg! Maybe you somehow knew what was coming!

Hope you're feeling better soon. Let us know how you're doing.

She asked me to relax and then all of a such shoved my knee to try and make it bend. I came up off that table swinging and yelled where people heard me in the lobby. I also had immediate tears streaming down my cheeks. I didn’t mean cry but she physically hurt me. She never apologized for what she did and acted like it was no big deal. All she said was, we have to get this moving because if he has to go back in to manually manipulate this one it is going to feel worse.
This was just plain mean and angers me! This therapist needs to go back to school and learn the correct way to rehab a joint replacement. This treatment has not helped you at all and might have set you back because you have to overcome the increased pain and swelling she caused before you can get on with your normal healing. Please refuse to go back to this therapist.

Your doctor is happy with your recovery never mentioned anything about a MUA. You should be very happy with your recovery! Stick up for yourself and your knee and don't let anyone hurt you again!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Riveralex
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom