TKR Zena831’s Road to Recovery

Zena831

Country
United States United States
Hi all,

Well, I’m on the other side. Holy cow, my whole experience has been awesome at this facility. So efficient and keeping me up to date with everything.

I did have the nerve block so not too bad today. I know it will wear off tomorrow. But hey, I’ll take this feeling for a bit.

PT came in to access me. They got me up on the walker to put a little weight on my leg. I did good and made it to the restroom and then back to recliner for a couple of hours.

The only issue today was when I got to the OR, my heart rate was really crazy so the anesthesiologist took care of things to help bring to down.

I am truly happy I found this forum and thankful for everything I read prior to today. Thank you all. :flwrysmile:

Welcome to Recovery, and Best Wishes!

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
If you want to use something to help heal the incision,
BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Glad you are here, this is the side to be on! Once you get through your block wearing off, then you should be seeing improvements every few days.

Your "homework" is simple: rest, elevate, ice; walk a little. You might ace this assignment tomorrow, but the homework doesn't really change much at first! As my entire ortho team reinforced like mad: "in the early days, Less is Better"

Welcome to recovery, Zena!
It sounds like you're off to a good start and having a good experience at your surgery site certainly helps.
I hope any pain remains manageable and I look forward to following your progress.
Lots of comfort to you as you begin your healing journey! :)
@Zena831

Thank you all. They have me on a few different pain meds. They have been holding the Oxy as my blood pressure is pretty low. It is normally low, but it’s quite a bit lower than normal.

I’m waiting on my doctor to come in and seeing when I’ll be discharged. I‘m sure it will be later today when I leave.

We took off the bandages this morning and I still have the wound vac and that tape on. They put on my TEDs and I’m in the chair.

Slow and easy, that’s what will work for me.

Slow and easy, that’s what will work for me.
Yes! That's the way.
Go slow getting up and moving around until your BP stabilizes, which I'm sure it will soon. Many have dealt with the same.

TEDS...ugh! All I'll say, lol.

Safe travels home to your recovery nest, hopefully later today. :fingersx:

I agree! Torturous, hot, itchy, uncomfortable. They're just plain ol yucky. :heehee:
With that said, I realize they serve a purpose, just like a bra, doesn't mean we have to like it though.

One thing I was told by my surgeons PA when I called their office to beg off wearing them was that they are happy if you wear them half of the prescribed time! Huh?!! Now you tell me!

I think when doctors set up these guidelines they take the lowest common denominator into consideration. They probably realize a good share of their patients aren't going to wear them as instructed so set the requirement high to allow for some wiggle room. I will add that I was a good patient and followed my surgeons recovery protocol...begrudgingly though when it came to the TEDS. :wink:

The only issue today was when I got to the OR, my heart rate was really crazy so the anesthesiologist took care of things to help bring to down.
Mine was my BP. I have white coat syndrome. My PCP saw it for himself! I tell everyone beforehand, but many don't believe me.
They put on my TEDs and I’m in the chair.
My doctors after all 12 of my surgeries never required them, thank God! I heard they are awfully painful.

My TED stockings must have been the perfect size for me. Though they were hard to get on, they were comfortable once on. I think I’m the only one! Plus, my surgery was in mid March, so they kept me warm.:heehee:

I can imagine those Teds would be awfully hot in the middle of summer, especially for us senior ladies!

Finally made it home about 2 hours ago. Hubs had Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup ready for me. It was the best ever.

The ride home was uncomfortable but I made it. Now, just taking it easy. My dogs don’t know what to think but they’re behaving.

It’s starting to cool down here, so the TEDs will keep me warm. They gave me the ones with the open toe. Those I completely don’t like But I’ll wear them considering I know first hand about clots.

Welcome home!!!!!

Now, is the time to baby yourself for the next few months!

Aaah, homemade Chicken Noodle Soup...good of all that ails you.
Glad you're back home and hope you had some restorative rest overnight.
May today be a good day!
@Zena831

Hi all, Day 3 post-op and feeling good this morning. I have been able to sleep most of the night since since getting home Thursday. Only waking up one time to use the restroom and then take another set of pain meds. :yes!:

I had outpatient PT yesterday and that was a little painful. I was totally swollen but managed my way through it. My knee did loosen up a bit while the therapist did some rocking and rotating of my leg. He iced me and then I iced again after getting home.

Yesterday afternoon, I was bored in the house so I decided to go up to check on my chickens to clean the coop (which is very easily done, even with a walker) and gather the eggs. It was maybe 125 yards total round trip. It just felt really good to be outside in the fresh air and just do something a little productive. My husband saw me out of his office window and just shook his head and pointed at me.

Mid evening, I decided to go up and down the driveway to get some more exercise but not overdo it. I used my crutches then but decided I will stay on my walker moving forward. I didn‘t feel as secure with the crutches just yet.

So all in all, I am feeling pretty good and sleeping. I do have some pain/discomfort in my knee but I’m staying on top of it. PT is scheduled again for Monday morning, I am planning to do as much as I can homework wise but not overdo it.

Thank y’all for your support. :thankyou:

Wow!!! You're doing great and very brave!!!!

Even with my second knee it took my self confidence a couple of weeks to leave the house on foot solo and go down my driveway and back up (of course it felt SOOO good I did it two times too fast and joined the ODIC :heehee: )

Keep up the good work! Extra YAY for sleeping well!

At only three days post op I'd be lying if I said you're not making me a smidge nervous. :wink:
I will trust that you're moving slowly and carefully and if anything hurts, you'll stop. Hopefully the terrain leading to the chicken coop is level without any divots? Would hate to see you trip, or fall, so early on.
It is awesome you're sleeping so well. Using the walker until you feel more secure is a wise decision.
Wishing you an easy recovery, Zena! Thanks for sharing your journey with us. :)
@Zena831

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
IceWalker
Recent bookmarks