Bilateral THR Yogi recovery from BTHR.....

Day two was exhausting. The surgeon had warned me of that and it really was :(
Id really struggled to sleep on night one kinda thinking I could doze during the day. However every five min someone wanted blood, or xrays, or to take my blood pressure or give me meds so I got no rest.
Then I didn’t say a strong enough no to the physio and did some leg lifts which caused pain in my groin and hip flexors for most of the morning :( which no meds seemed to
Help. Between the pain and the tiredness I was a bit down.
However my husband arrived with protein shake smoothies and a cuddle which helped a lot! The smoothie gave me some quality calories...I’d hardly eaten since breakfast as the morphine had stopped my appetite...& I felt more chirpy :)
And managed to use the commode and walk a few steps on the Zimmer almost, very almost!, feeling stable :)
I asked for a sleeping aid which helped last night so I am hoping today is better now I’ve slept & I’m
Another day forward
 
I forgot to say ice! It’s amaxing :) my thighs were burning hot and my legs so uncomfortably swollen until I started icing everywgeee. Plus it helped the groin pain.
So ice packs were another purchase on Amazon for when I’m homr
 
Hi @Yogigirl
Isn't Ice just the best!:ice::ice:
Leg lifts are really not helpful, as you know...and I had some paces they tried to put me through at hospital that I knew my legs just weren't ready for.
Why they insist on making our injured legs perform when they are trying to heal first is beyond me.:blackcloud:
If they want to have you try again, tell them it caused you ALOT of distress and you are not ready for that exercise.
This is the tough part, but it Does get better and you are doing just great.
Healing vibes coming your way, @Yogigirl :friends:
 
I’m learning to say no...they’ve started bringing two physios coz I’m obviously an argumentative patient. I said a firm no to leg raises to which I was told my muscles would atrophy after three days in bed & my hamstrings would tighten permanently ! Really! They do talk some waffle in my opinion! I nearly asked why it’s fine after you’ve had flu or similar.
Anyway today I’ve walked with my frame, managed to wash myself & even stood for 30 seconds with no hands on my frame so my legs did all the weight bearing. Having a strong upper body means it’s tempting to just levitate yourself on the frame so I’m not allowing myself to do that.
I’m onto crutches later & maybe even a shower (sitting obviously) so we may not move so fast on them! I may be strong but I’m not so coordinated
I’m so happy that less than two days after having my thighbones chopped off my amazing body has allowed me to stand unaided. If only briefly.
I know this will be a long slow journey but being a bit more mobile is great it was so frustrating having log legs and not even being able to shuffle on the bed.
 
You're doing great! Keep saying no to those PT enforcers. Atrophy after 3 days? What a load of rubbish!! Sounds like they are making it up as they go along.
I found ice was the only thing that relieved the groin pain. If I took painkiller, they would help the other areas but never seemed to touch the groin pain. For me, groin pain is a sure sign that I have overdone it.
 
That’s how I found the only relief....with ice. I feel I overdid it yesterday. Hence the pain. Today I firmly said no to anything but walking. So they said I should walk further coz I’m avoiding the other exercises! I did 20m each way on crutches and feel proud of myself. Only a little shakey after and achy in my hips but no more pain so it seems to have worked saying no.
I’m so glad I discovered this forum or I may have thought the exercises were essential for healing, and the pain to be expected. So thank you
Looking forward to more improvements tomorrow...maybe the shower I didn’t make it to today! And the PT have said stairs which worries me but I’m sure is feasible. I’ve a long staircase at home so I need to be good at them :)
 
Hello @Yogigirl your name interested me. Can I presume you are a yogi and if so do you plan on developing your own practice workout. I did practice daily yoga until it just became impossible in about October last year and have been told there are many positions, which I expected anyway, that will never be part of yoga for me again. Thought I'd just drop by to say hello and namaste
 
Hello @Yogigirl your name interested me. Can I presume you are a yogi and if so do you plan on developing your own practice workout. I did practice daily yoga until it just became impossible in about October last year and have been told there are many positions, which I expected anyway, that will never be part of yoga for me again. Thought I'd just drop by to say hello and namaste

That’s true but yogas not about the extreme positions anyway and they’re the only ones you’ll be restricted in. Honestly you’ll not miss what you don’t need. I am a yoga therapist (kinda like a physio/ PT but we work with more than the physical body)
Your previous yoga practice should help you heal more easily. You’ll have a body awareness & intuition from your practice. Maybe when you’re 4-5 months into your recovery we can chat about possible practices you can delve into. That’s what I do...design practices and work with clients with physical and neurological dents! So I have a lot of hip replacement clients & there’s not an issue to you doing yoga. Just no gymnastics!
What type of yoga did you do before?
 
Hi my double hippy pal! You sound splendid for these early days so do pat yourself on the back as I can't reach from over here!
I said a firm no to leg raises to which I was told my muscles would atrophy after three days in bed & my hamstrings would tighten permanently
Hogwash, horse feathers, bull hockey, and etc...

Really! They do talk some waffle in my opinion! I nearly asked why it’s fine after
Your opinion is right, and ever important.
None of these folks have had bilateral THR...even your OS.
You are just making their job impotent...sooorreeey!

Having a strong upper body means it’s tempting to just levitate yourself on the frame so I’m not allowing myself to do that.
I have great upper body strength, and this was definitely my biggest error. I had my shoulders aching and elbows by day four as I was afraid to be full weight bearing.
Yes, quads burned, incision sore, but imagine my shock and awe when I discovered those "should be" sore hips were Good!:happydance:
I feel so happy and proud for you...seeing you stay positive...listening to your body...and advocating for yourself! You rock!:yahoo:
 
@Yogigirl It's amazing isn't it? My 1st therapy was today in home. They mean well, but I had to say no to some things. They wanted 3 times a week, I settled for 2 times just 2 weeks and said no therapy after. She was so nice I don't like being mean and my doctor ordered it, but really he was more concerned with the nursing part, but it comes in a package deal. I also said NO straight leg raise. Even the leg slides made me sore in the groin. If they would just let us heal more....first....:shrug:
 
Hello! @Yogigirl you sound great! bilateral, even.. !! I think it's going to be interesting following your recovery with your yoga training. keep up the good work!!
 
Thank you @Mojo333
Any advice on swelling? Spent the night in real pain from woollen feet and legs. They’ve moved my compression stockings to half way up my foot as my big toe went a funny colour
I elevate my feet at night
My night seems to be That I start with
I’m ok just uncomfortable
I go to sleep With ice and the room warm
I wake up sweaty and swollen and in pain with melted ice
I take painkillers and get new ice and get the temperature dropped
I’m too cold to sleep
The temperature goes back up and the painkillers work and I doze off
I wake up sweaty and needing a wee. Ice melted and the room is a bit hot
New ice, temperature down
Then I’m too cold to sleep......
You get the picture
Every 1-2 hours I’m awake to either wipe myself down, pee, get painkillers or new ice or a mix of the above
Not surprising im knackered
If I could find a way to combine ice and elevation without a room that gets too warm as it melts.
I do ankle pumps as much as possible
And bum clenches
Any magic ideas that others have found?
 
Thank you @Yogigirl for your lovely reply. When I went to classes it was ashtanga but as my mobility and pain increased I developed my own daily 30 minute routine because my teacher had no experience of hip problems and it took a while for her to accept that I could not sit in lotus position due to the discomfort before she then introduced me to alternate seating. I have tried vinyasa flow but only once.I was really disappointed when I thought I would never be able to get my own little routine going again as I love either starting or ending the day with some peaceful yoga. I'd love to keep contact and use your expertise to guide me and I am genuinely grateful for having come across your posts.
Regarding the melting ice do you have the gel ice packs? I have found that even when they have 'melted' they remain cold for a good amount if time. I got a pack of 3 from Amazon for just under £7 so they're always ready when I need them. Sorry I can't help regarding the need to wee, me and the loo are good friends too during the night, I like to visit every couple of hours. Nights are by far the worse, I agree
 
Last edited:
I think what you are experiencing is very common for the first few days... at least it was with me!

Are they giving you gel ice packs? I think they last longer than ice cubes and conform to your body better. I used five: 1 each groin/thigh, 1 each incision (I had posterior/lateral approach so was side bum cheek) and 1 lower back. Maybe get them to give you a one of those nice warmed blankets when they give you ice instead of turning the heat up?

Also, I had compression machine on lower legs (no stockings), so it would inflate every 30 seconds. They also put a pillow under each lower leg. Had a bit of swollen ankles but otherwise very little swelling... ankle pumps and butt clenches are good!

You should like u are doing well for mobility, all that yoga pays off! Would love to start doing yoga again, will need to find a teacher whose had BTHR!
 
I think what you are experiencing is very common for the first few days... at least it was with me!
Same...not alot of good sleeping happened for some time.
Trial and error for some things...and different issues that resolve then different issue to be resolved...:sigh:
All temporary.:yes:
Power naps were my only saving grace.
You will be able to get more comfy at home!
Healing hugs:flwrysmile:and a flower
 
@Yogigirl I am not bilateral, I commend you for that. The ice in the hospital for me was okay, but the bag had a leak,the bed got a little wet next to me. Only spent one night there. I doubted the homemade recipe here in the forum, but it really conforms to your body and even when it melts it is still very cold. Must have something to do with the alchohol in it. Have your helper do it before you get home. I love it, I made up 2 of them. My husband made mine, he thinks they are awesome how they stay cold so long.
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom