Yikes, post op threads not encouraging

Hi @kattyaz
In addition to @dougie0216 there is a bi-lateral with a phenomenally amazing recovery story
@gaulsuerou Check out her thread if you haven't already.
Best wishes for a great week!
 
Hi @kattyaz
I hope you’ve found some of the more positive threads to read by now.

My own experience has been pretty good - of course, there have been good days and bad days, but overall I’ve found the experience much less traumatic than I expected!

Reading other people’s threads beforehand helped me be prepared both in practical terms (knowing in advance what would help make recovery easier) and in knowing what to expect (such as the infamous “log leg”, which they definitely don’t tell you about at the hospital!) It’s always alarming to hear of problems and setbacks but they seem to be outweighed by the positive stories. It’s also been great to have such a supportive and helpful community here over the last few weeks.

A hip replacement is a big deal - there’s no denying that. Everyone’s different and we all recover at our own pace, but there are two things I’m certain you’ll find after your op: that the body really is amazing at healing itself, and that after the first few days post-op your mobility and strength will increase noticeably every day!

It really is worth it. Don’t be deterred or disheartened, and remember there’s a whole community of us “hippies” here if you have worries, want to share your experiences or just want to reach out for friendship and company!
 
@kattyaz us happy folks with good recoveries are out there. It is just when we get our lives back, we go back to doing all the things that were taken from us by arthritis or injury.
My first surgery went OK. Right up until the point they attached someone else's leg to my body. Looking back I can see I recovered quickly, but it did not seem like it then.
After my second hip surgery, I had more control over my leg when I came to in the recovery room than I did at one month after the first surgery.
Every surgery is different. I don't know if there is a typical result. My advice would to be in the best shape possible prior to surgery.
Since I knew the rules of the game prior to my second surgery, I worked my core religiously right up until the day of surgery. It really helped to be able get into and out of bed. I also did my PT to the letter afterwards.

It has been 4-1/2 months since surgery. I rode my bicycle Saturday. On Sunday I did yoga, resistance band exercises and worked in the yard. Tonite after work, I cooked dinner, walked 1.5 miles then lifted weights. I have a 100K bike race next Aug I'm in training for. I am riding it with another double hippy and several mortals:biking:I was training to ride it this past August but the pain was to the point by last fall that I had to park the bike.

I will close by saying the most important thing imho is your attitude. I'm not going to lie, the first couple of days after surgery suck. But, if you have a good attitude, take your meds, eat, do your PT and have some mental health support like this forum, you will do just fine. There are lots of success stories here. I think @Layla pointed you in the right direction.
Doug
 
Hi @kattyaz, I had an excellent recovery from bilateral surgery. It might help you to read the thread. I couldn't read post op threads before my surgery, because they scared me. I imagined the worst.

The great thing is, you are put to sleep, (I didn't feel anything,) and then you wake up. It's all done! The surgery has really come a long way. The medications work, the nurses and PT people are experienced, and it can go very smoothly.
 
@kattyaz, If you read the anniversary posts, those are also very encouraging. I love reading that thread. There are so many people writing about how they are enjoying life again.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom