Guest viewing is limited

TKR Wrong Sized Implant?

@sistersinhim I have an appointment to see the surgeon again in a couple of weeks. I was initially told that I would wear the brace 24/7 for 6 weeks, but that is now extended to 7 weeks.

My leg is still very painful when standing or moving. Sitting with a bent leg becomes uncomfortable very quickly. The only tolerable position is when it is elevated and being iced, so am spending most of my time doing this, interspersed with a few stretches.

The patella tendon is apparently “flimsy” so I am still unable to lift my leg in a straight leg raise.
 
Your doctor wants to make sure your ligament is completely healed before releasing you from the brace. I think that is a good thing. It's better to be over-cautious than to have an awful setback. Don't worry about your ROM, it will come as you heal more over time. It won't come overnight, but it will come. I'm living proof of that!
 
It’s almost 8 weeks since my knee revision (and added bonus fractures caused during the surgery :wink:)

I saw the surgeon last week and have to continue wearing the hinged leg brace for another 4 weeks :cry: I am allowed to fully weight bear now though, so that’s a slight improvment.

I can finally manage a straight leg raise, which feels like quite an achievement. I’m trying to stay positive after every tiny advance.

However, the small open area at the bottom of my wound is still causing a few issues and a swab was taken yesterday to check for infection. Is it common for areas to stay open like this? It’s on my shin, so way below the knee itself.
 
the small open area at the bottom of my wound is still causing a few issues and a swab was taken yesterday to check for infection. Is it common for areas to stay open like this?
Not, usually, but sometimes some areas are slower to heal than others. It is a good thing that a swab was taken to test it for an infection. Please keep us updated.
 
Hello on the two month anniversary of your revision. I hope you received the "all clear" as a result of the swab test and the next three weeks with the hinged brace go by quickly for you. You've been through a lot with your knee and I wish you smooth sailing for the remainder of your recovery. Take good care!
@DogTiredKnees
 
Thank you, @Layla. Yes, the swab was clear, but the wound still has an open section at the bottom, which is being cleaned and dressed weekly by my GP.

My exercises, already very gentle and minimal because of the leg brace and fractures, have been further modified by the physio to try and prevent the wound reopening all the time.
 
You're welcome. Whew! Glad it was clear.
Good luck...I hope it closes soon. :fingersx: :prayer:
A nice weekend to you!
@DogTiredKnees
 
Three months since your revision....Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope all continues to go well for you and you have an amazing Summer!
@DogTiredKnees
 
Thanks, @Layla :) The open section at the bottom of my wound is still open and still being cleaned and dressed weekly.

Not much else to report really. Leg still very painful and quite rigid. The hinged brace was removed after 11 weeks, and I had a bone scan last week, waiting for the results.
 
Thanks for the update.
I am sorry you're still dealing with pain. I hope all begins to improve for you soon.
Hugs and best wishes.
@DogTiredKnees
 
Congrats on getting rid of the brace, it’s been a long time coming. Sad that you still have so much pain. We readers are looking forward to some good progress posts from you, they’ll come eventually.
 
@DogTiredKnees I'm glad your brace is removed, sorry to hear you still have pain though, you've had some much to deal with.
Shin wounds can take longer to heal and I'm assuming it's at the end of your suture line.As time has passed since your revision, it'll have to heal from the inside out, does that make sense? which always takes time.
I hope the wound heals soon and your pain reduces. x
 
It’s been 15 weeks since my Knee Revision surgery, which also incurred a fractured tibia, femur and an MCL avulsion fracture.

I saw the physio yesterday and she advised me to purchase a low peddler machine from Amazon. I used one during the session and could just about get a full rotation, whereas I’m nowhere near achieving that on my stationary exercise bike.

She is sending me for hydrotherapy, as my knee seems to have reached a bit of a plateau since the hinged brace was removed 4 weeks ago. After the session my RoM was 72 degrees, without her forcing anything.

The prospect of hydrotherapy is making me feel very nervous as I have a bit of an irrational fear of water :boohoo:

The open section of the wound at the bottom is still being cleaned and dressed weekly at the GP, but is finally looking better :fingersx:
 
Just check.I think I was told I couldn't go in a swimming pool until the wound was fully healed.
Also go easy in water to start with.
I went for a spa day with my daughter at about 4- 5 months. I just did what I thought were some gentle leg exercises whilst she swam lengths. I really felt it much more than my regular pilates leg sessions.
 
The prospect of hydrotherapy is making me feel very nervous as I have a bit of an irrational fear of water :boohoo:
If you would rather not go to this, then don’t. While many of our members like hydrotherapy, not all of us do, me included. If you are somewhat fearful you will be tense during the session, and that will not be helpful.

Just because a type of therapy is recommended it doesn’t mean we have to agree and do it. Many recover well without this.

Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

My PT put me in the pool at 4 weeks post op which was way too early for me, and they overworked me, for almost an hour, and it took me 3 days to recover from it.

Regaining our ROM does not require forceful bending or painful exercises. That is counterproductive.

Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.
 
The prospect of hydrotherapy is making me feel very nervous as I have a bit of an irrational fear of water :boohoo:

The open section of the wound at the bottom is still being cleaned and dressed weekly at the GP, but is finally looking better :fingersx:
You should never go into a public pool without your wounds being completely healed. I can't believe your PT suggested this, knowing you have unhealed areas.

The other bad thing about water therapy is that the water adds resistance which is just like using weights on your leg. This early after your major injuries and surgery is way too early to even think about doing that. All you need to do are gentle movements on land. Your knee has been through a terrible ordeal and needs to be treated gently.
 
The prospect of hydrotherapy is making me feel very nervous as I have a bit of an irrational fear of water
The PT place I go to has a special pool about 4' x 6' with an adjustable water level, built-in treadmill, etc. It's also nice and warm, very relaxing :bath:.

It even has a safety harness so that you cannot fall over, if you need to use it. They deal with patients all the time who have various kinds of disabilities and know how to keep them safe. Perhaps you can get access to something like that?

Or, you can just skip it like others have said. You'll still recover.
 
Back
Top Bottom