• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

TKR Wrong Sized Implant?

My knee revision surgery date is now confirmed as 10th March 2023. Please can this be added to my profile. Thanks :)

Best Wishes for your revision tomorrow, DogTiredKnees.
Hope you‘ll let us know how you’re doing once you’re back home resting comfortably. Hope to hear from you soon. :)
@DogTiredKnees

7 days since knee revision surgery:

It‘s been a week since my knee revision. Unfortunately, my leg was fractured in 2 places and a ligament damaged during surgery. I was warned beforehand that this was a risk. My bones are very brittle. The operation took 7 hours.

I am now only partially weight bearing for approximately 6 weeks in a hinged brace, set between 0-90 degrees.

Lost a lot of blood, apparently, had have had 2 transfusions, and feeling quite ill. Came home yesterday, such a relief to get back to some home comforts!

My knee feels not too bad, rather surprisingly. ROM varies from 55-65, which I’m pleased with, given the circumstances.

Am taking it easy and during gentle stretches.

The hinged brace is VERY uncomfortable and has to be worn 24/7. I wondered if anyone had any recommendations for liners or sleeves to go underneath, to stop it rubbing. At the moment I’m wearing v thin leggings underneath, but they are not proving very practical! I’d rather just wear something on the operated leg.

I wondered if anyone had any recommendations for liners or sleeves to go underneath, to stop it rubbing.
I wore braces for years and found that lycra or lycra+cotton tights to work well. They do make single leg 'sleeves' but I could never get them to stay up - they would always slide down and bunch up and generally be a pain.

Compression tights made of wicking material are good in the warmer weather but tend to be expensive.

Amazon has lots of compression leg sleeves if you want to try them out.

I'm so sorry to read about the fractures and ligament damage during your surgery, @DogTiredKnees! It's just not fair that you have to deal with this on top of the knee issues.

I had to wear a hinged brace several years ago and had the same problem with it rubbing. For me, the only solution was wearing a pair of really thick ponte-knit leggings. Even then, some days I had to slip a bit of foam cushioning on the inside of my knee.

(Not recommending this, but I also "cheated" a bit and would take the brace of for a little while several times a day to let my leg breathe. :nah:)

Please take it easy -- and keep us posted on your recovery.

Thanks, @WFD. Because I have quite short legs, wearing tights or leggings under the brace is difficult when I need to use the bathroom as the brace sits so high. I’ll look for single sleeves, and hope that I can get them to stay up!

when I had my surgery the hospital gave me a length of this cotton sleeve. I had enough to double up on my knee and thigh. It might help under your brace.

You can do a search on Amazon for:

“Economy Cotton Stockinette Tubular Bandage”

Last edited by a moderator:
this is what it is called at Amazon. Not sure if it is tubigrip. it is just a cotton sleeve. no compression.

Medline Non-Sterile Tubular Stockinettes, 4 x 25 yd, Unbleached, 1 Roll​

I am so very sorry to read of what you experienced during surgery and all you have to deal with as a result. I do hope the days pass quickly for you. It is one month to date since your revision and I'd like to wish you a wonderful week!
@DogTiredKnees

Thank you, @Layla :) I have seen the surgeon and he is pleased with my progress so far. Fortunately, he spoke to the physio and told them not to passively over flex or push extension while the ligament is healing. I discovered it was a partial MCL avulsion fracture.

I have got used to the brace now, the main source of annoyance is that it feels so heavy!

How much longer will you need to wear the brace? I know you are sick of it! I hated my immobilizers, which I wore for 6 weeks on each leg. They weren't heavy but were hot.
I have seen the surgeon and he is pleased with my progress so far. Fortunately, he spoke to the physio and told them not to passively over flex or push extension while the ligament is healing.
Your physio shouldn't have to be told this, he should already know it! I'm so glad your doctor set them straight! Protect that knee and do not overdo anything while healing it! It takes quite a while for the soft tissues to heal completely. You know your knee and you know how it feels. Like that be your guide on what you do and don't do.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads