THR Worried

You’re hardly an idiot. Although you do have a sense of humor about it I see.
It‘s very common to need a time-out as it’s easy to push boundaries and overdo it when you’re feeling good and then land in the ODIC. It is the way many of us learned to take it
s-l-o-w and easy, even on the days when you’re feeling no pain while still in the early months of the healing process.
Hope today is a good one!
@Kenny3

far from being an idiot. It's normal to think the worst for each and every pain we feel considering what we've been through and the fact they put large chunks of metal in us. It's a good thing especially in the early weeks to be very aware of the new feelings, it's just hard to wait them out.

Doing much better now after following surgeon’s advice. Still suffering groin discomfort and struggling to get socks etc on. Is that normal after 9 weeks?

:wave: @Kenny3
It was certainly normal for me at 9 weeks...:umm:

It can be frustrating and time seems to and does, actually creep by when we recover from these procedures.
Groin pain and tightness stuck around for many months in my case, but begin to lessen with time.

This surgery does take some time to recover from, and,unfortunately, it may take longer than we would like it to, but we are not the ones scheduling the recovery/rehab; our body does that.

We want our lives to re-assemble themselves very quickly and that, unfortunately is not exactly the case.

Take your time, relax, and know that down the road, you will be pain-free and loving it. I had to learn what patience truly is....many of us had to, as well...

When one considers how long it took for our bodies to become this way, some months of recovery/rehab really are nothing.
Keep the Faith....it gets better.:) :-) (:

Doing much better now after following surgeon’s advice. Still suffering groin discomfort and struggling to get socks etc on. Is that normal after 9 weeks?
There's no "normal" only how you feel. I had 2 THR's and they were both different. Left I could put socks on just past 6 weeks, not pretty but I could get the job done. With my right it was a completely different story. If I sat down it was like there was a string from my back to my butt that would not let me bend to touch my foot. If I stood I could touch my toes. No explanation and it finally eased off to allow me full motion, but it took some time and easing into it.

Thanks for that. Did an uphill walk today with my dog and it hurt badly in the buttock, thigh and in the groin later. Been 10 weeks now. When will it ease?

Flat ground is your friend, hills can be tough for a while yet. You want some real fun try a ladder!, I did at 12 weeks bad idea. It will take some time for it to ease. And believe it or not my left is coming up on 4 years and I can still hurt it by doing things that strain it over and over. Doesn't hurt when I do it but the next few days it's real stiff and sore.

Hi @Kenny3

Yeah, hills can be rough if you do too much at once. Give yourself a couple of days' break, and then try doing that same walk, but go only halfway and then turn around.

Work up to it in increments and it will get better. Your brand new hip has never done a hill like that! :walking:

Thanks for that. Makes me feel better. Guy over the road was fine after 6 weeks. Really annoying.

Guy over the road was fine after 6 weeks
Within the realm of possibility... I suppose...
but tightness and discomfort usually manifests after activity....he may not be sharing that.
We all have our journeys...end game being healthy and painfree.
Recovery paths can vary, and yours sounds very normal with common complaints.

Keep it all Slow and Steady...not a competition and All Temporary, friend.:friends:

I'm fine after six weeks like your guy over the road.
Not perfect but fine.
But I had an anterior op which might help a little in the process and although I'm "fine" I know the healing takes a full year and so I do plenty but don't over do anything.
This is my third joint op and for me nice and steady, totally avoiding pain, has worked previously.

I've just walked a steady two miles on uneven ground this morning. This afternoon I did some shopping - then came home and put my feet up.
I've always been active and sporty and so I'm finding the recovery frustrating and boring but I want this THR to be a good un.
Sometimes I do more or less than todays effort.
For me resting my hip is as important as exercising it. So I do both.
Some people need crutches or canes at this stage some don't.
I don't need crutches now but if I did it wouldn't bother me.

I imagine the trauma in the joint and that it's got another 46 weeks to go to heal to full strength.
Let that poor bone heal and knit @Kenny3. Pain will ease when there's no stress on it.
There's no rush and you are still in early days and it seems to me you're doing so well.
So behave @Kenny3 ! :)

Good to read those stories. I’m still worried. Walked the dog this morning and thigh, groin and buttock still hurt after 11 weeks. Not agony but moderate pain. Still can’t get socks on without double jointing myself. Should I go back to surgeon?

I guess you could ask your OS but it sounds like your soft tissue is just healing and tight. It takes some time and gentle stretches to get everything loose. I know about all of the 6 week wonder stories but they are few and far between and a lot like fishing stories. 11 weeks is still recovery time and I can tell you from experience at 12 weeks I thought I was all healed and found myself sitting in the chair with ice for 3 weeks. Just strained soft tissue and had to give it more time.

:xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon: Hi there Kenny,
It is a special day. Three Months already…woohoo! :banana-santa:
Wishing you a Merry Christmas and all things good in the New Year.
@Kenny3

Thanks for that. Happy New Year. Still got difficulties with groin and inner thigh when bending and ache in the leg when walking. That normal at this stage?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
dkhip1
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom