THR Worried

Kenny3

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Had my new knee 5 weeks ago. All went well at first with really good mobility. Out of the blue this week, I’ve developed pain in my buttock, thigh and groin and struggle to walk without a limp. Is this the sign of a failed hip or have I damaged it some how? Due to see the surgeon in two weeks. Any ideas?

Layla

Staff member since November 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
United States United States
Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us!

In an effort to make sure you get the most out of your time here, will you please clarify whether your latest surgery was a knee replacement, or hip?
We want to make sure we provide you with the appropriate Recovery Guidelines and advise properly. You mentioned a five week old knee, but also mentioned struggling with some hip related symptoms. We will wait for clarification.

Also, if you’d provide an exact surgery date and which hip or knee was replaced, right, or left, we’ll create a signature for you.

Thanks!
@Kenny3

OP
OP
K

Kenny3

Country
Sorry about that. My mistake. It’s a hip replacement done on Sept 24th. It’s the left hip. Really sore, still.
Thanks

spongemum

Country
Had my surgery day after you Kenny.
Have you been using a crutch or cane? I still use a cane when outfoors and not overdoing stuff.
If I carry anything it aches.
Left hip too like you.

Mojo333

Staff member since August 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
:welome: to BoneSmart
@Kenny3
Thanks for clarifying.
Sorry you are struggling but 5 weeks out from your placement of a new hip are very early days and your description of your discomforts are indeed normal and common.
Spongemum is spot on with her questions and observations.
I do hope you are doing lots of resting and icing.:ice:

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary​
2. Control discomfort
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

OP
OP
K

Kenny3

Country
Thanks spongemum and Bonesmart. Interesting to note in your recovery notes the advice about physios. I think mine pushed me too hard from the word go and I followed their advice even tho I felt uncomfortable. My last physio was a week ago and the pushing and pulling really hurt, so much so that I feel I have regressed. Will definitely follow your recovery advice and listen to others on this forum.

Layla

BoneSmart Staff
Country
My last physio was a week ago and the pushing and pulling really hurt, so much so that I feel I have regressed. Will definitely follow your recovery advice and listen to others on this forum.
I Yi Yi….Please don’t allow them to hurt you. If you still plan on attending more sessions, don’t do anything you’re uncomfortable with and if it hurts, STOP. Just say No!

In case you didn’t make it through the Recovery Guidelines yet we offer a Big Tip -
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Have a wonderful Friday and weekend! :SUNsmile:

Jaycey

ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
Administrator
Country
@Kenny3 Hips don't really need a lot of physio. Walking is the best exercise. Unfortunately many physios are in auto pilot mode. They want to strength train before patients are fully healed. This is totally counterproductive as you have seen.

It's not too late to get back on track with this recovery. Rest, ice and elevate per the guidelines posted above. Easy walks using a walking aid if you need it. And build up very slowly and gradually on any new activity. Still early days for you!

OP
OP
K

Kenny3

Country
Thanks,benne. Here in the UK , physio seems all important. Think I’m with you.
cheers
ken

Eman85

supremo
Country
Pushing and pulling? Was the Physio manipulating you? I didn't do any PT, OS warned me not to go to PT, he said they would hurt me.
Are you resting and icing? I understand from posts from others in the UK ice isn't used much.

Hopper

graduate
Country
Im in the UK and have used ice for both knees and this hip. Many hospitals use ice machines too - you just have to ask. My surgeon is great believer in ice - so am I.
Physio varies hugely here and although I needed it with my knees I will wait until the six week mark then decide this time. It might be good to get my gait checked.

OP
OP
K

Kenny3

Country
Thanks for your comments. Ice has not been mentioned at all by anyone here in the UK. Physio seems the be all and end all and it’s not done me much good. I’ve not had much advice about the best chair to sit in, either, apart from some random heights so I’ve not been very comfortable and still not sure I’m using the right type. I’m using a straight backed wing chair which my wife used and often feel considerable pain when I stand and walk away. Any advice?

spongemum

Country
I've only seen ice recommended in UK for knees. Personally when I came home all I wanted was warmth! I hated the feel of the cold arms of the toilet raiser each side and wrapped them in old bandages. I hated the cold of the plastic sleeve that helps you put a sock on!
I've heard other people moan about the toilet raiser seat being cold too.

Layla

BoneSmart Staff
Country
I’ve not had much advice about the best chair to sit in, either, apart from some random heights so I’ve not been very comfortable

I would suggest something sturdy and stable, first of all. Next, a chair with arms to make accessing the chair and getting up from it easy. I’d want a good angle also. Nothing that slopes downward in the back. Height is also important as you mentioned, especially not too low to the ground. I’d advise a firmer chair to begin with, nothing too soft and non supportive.

If the pain or discomfort you mentioned you feel upon rising and taking first steps, quickly diminishes, you’re not alone. Especially at only a tad over five weeks post op. I’m guessing it will ease as your recovery progresses.
I hope you have a great Sunday and good week to come. :)

Eman85

supremo
Country
Miami Lowback Stacking Commercial Plastic Resin Armchair - Furniture Leisure
I needed something to sit comfortably in especially at the table. We had a couple of outdoor chairs like in the link. With a cushion they worked really well and were sturdy enough and with the arms I could lift myself up and out of them easily in the early weeks of recovery. Had one at the dining table and one on the front porch so I could sit comfortably outside for some fresh air.
Try an ice pack and be sure to use it for long enough periods of time, it will bring relief. I would try skipping some of the physio and see how it feels.

Hopper

graduate
Country
@Kenny3 have you got your ice packs now? They are honestly invaluable and your physio maybe should have recommenced them too.
If you call your local Occupational therapy dept they can tell you exactly what height your chair should be etc.
I'm using a tub chair with some firm cushion pads to heighten the seat so I can keep that bend below 90 degrees. Today I sat at the kitchen table on a sturdy and large chair with arms and used cushions behind me and to sit on. It's easy to push up to standing safely and i can keep under the 90 bend.
It might be the chair causing you pain. Hope you get it all sorted and more comfy.

spongemum

Country
When I had my RTHR in 2013 I borrowed my 91 year old Dad's perching chair. It was OK but the arms pressed against my leg a bit.
This time I purchased a wider perching chair though could probably have asked for one to borrow from OT dept. Though before I had op I didn't think it was very comfortable I have subsequently found it great.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Burias
Recent bookmarks
Top Bottom