Revision TKR Woohoo I'm starting to feel better!

I so know where you're coming from with the sudden feeling downhill thing. This recovery is so like a roller coaster ride. One minute you're up, next your down and sometimes the world and life around you is feeling upside down with a twist ha ha!!!!

You're so right about the step taking thing. It is taking a lot of courage to give up the one stick. The only plus side is I stand better posture wise if that makes sense xxxxx

It's 10.30 pm and I'm in bed praying for sleep. Have taken all meds just waiting for them to kick in. I'm definitely in a better frame of mind today/tonight. Btw what is blecky? X
 
Sorry, blecky is a slang term for not feeling well - yucky is the same thing. Used to describe things that aren't so good. ;-) i.e. me :-)

I so hope you're able to sleep tonight. Before all of this, when I couldn't sleep, I would just try to clear my mind and would run through episodes of the most inane television shows in my head. For me it was The Brady Bunch, which I'm quite certain you didn't get over there. It's an old show of the most bland and perfect family from back in the 60s.

Ya know, I used to love roller coasters. Not sure I'll ever be able to enjoy them the same way again. ;-) Sleep well NanaMoon! xoxo
 
Thanks for explaining blecky. I'm sorry you having bad day. Believe it or not they imported the Brady Bunch over here in late 60's early seventies.OMG sickly or what? The word over here these days would be cheesy! Ha ha! You know what I don't think I'll be able to face a roller coaster either will be too scared if the jolting on my knee ha ha!!!!
The term gobsmacked I used the other day means speechless but the word breaks down as follows: in Birmingham slang gob means mouth the rest is self explanatory ha ha !!!!

Will let you know how tonight goes and how many times I wake up in the morning x nighty night dogLoverx3
 
I agree not to worry about the quads--especially right now since you're pretty early out. Pretty soon you will be able to work on those bit by bit.
 
Kneeper, thank you for your reassurance it really does help. I am nowhere near as anxious as I was before all thanks to caring kind people like yourself and others on this site. I told a newbie to the site today that this site is worth it's weight in gold honestly. This has been a true lifeline x

My biggest problem regarding the quads tbh is the PT's! They bang on about them being weak and it puts mental pressure on and fear of remaining in this state permanently. That's why I was so glad if your reassurance. Thanks again Kneeper....Nana Moon27
 
haha, we use 'cheesy' here too! Don't tell anyone, but I actually LOVE The Brady Bunch. No clue why, but I do (as in I still do) :heehee:

Pay no mind to when PTs try and 'guilt' you into working harder or put pressure on you about the numbers. They think it's motivating not realizing it's kinda scary to some. Quad strength, flexion, extension, etc....they will all come and as I've read over and over on here, there is really no deadline and certainly nothing you need to be worrying about this early on. I used to feel bad when I wasn't able to do the exercises that the PTs thought I should be able to or that everyone else could do. I got over it though. ;-)

My knee is giving me fits tonight. I haven't done a thing for the past few hours aside from elevate, ice and take a shower (in the hopes it would help me feel better) and it just keeps getting more stiff and sore. I'm starting to wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that I have tile floors at home...... I'll have to ask Jamie over on my thread..

Anyway, I hope you are sound asleep and don't see this message for hours and hours because of it!!! :-)
 
Wish I was asleep. This insomnia is driving me crazy. Going to ask husband for his kindle and download that sleep thing. The reason why everyone! Secretly loves the Brady bunch is because it is an ideal, a Utopia an escape from the dysfunctional way of life that us now ha ha! Anyway I'm all for feel good and comedy. Life is too serious and we need to see the funny, quirky side of human nature!

My knee felt better for the rest ice elevation mantra today. I am not in pain tonight just wide awake x
 
Glad your knee is feeling good. Sorry you're awake at 2:30am to know it's feeling good though. ;-)

You're right about the Brady Bunch. Could you imagine? Might be nice to live like that but boy would it be boring. ;-)

Now, go to sleep!! :gaah: xo
 
Hiya, despite little or no sleep last night I've had a fair day. I am tired. I am trying to stay awake but I. Fighting a losing battle. How are you? X
 
Try Tylenol P.M. A half hour before bed. Make sure it can be taken with your night meds:ok:
Worked great for me:sleep::sleep:
Sincerely,
Diana:snow dig:
 
Oh boo NanaMoon. I'm sorry you didn't get much (any) sleep last night. I was FINALLY able to piece together about 6 hours. I woke up several times in big pain, but was amazingly able to fall back asleep after taking some pain meds and getting a new ice pack. I'm still tired as can be, but I'll take what I can get.

I did take some Tylenol PM last night like @new knee in June just suggested, so not sure if that worked (those things usually don't for me) or what, but I'm glad whatever did the trick. Do absolutely check to make sure there are no drug interactions with what you're taking before trying anything new though.

I'm glad you're feeling good today despite being tired. I'm still not feeling great and just pretty Blah overall, but hopefully it will be short lived! :-)

I hope you are having a wonderful day!!!!
 
Hi Dogloverx3. I really hope you have at least a few better days to come. I've only had about 1 hrs sleep in total and deliberately kept myself awake today so maybe I'll sleep tonight. I feel washed out mentally but I know that is sleep deprivation!!!! I must find out if they sell Tylenol in the UK. I'll google it in a minute! Will let you know! Are you back working? I seem to recall something about your job are you self employed I can't remember through this haze of morphine! Xxxx
 
Guess what I'm already taking it. It has a different name over here and I am taking 8 per day!!!! Never mind. Was worth the gamble. Going to download that sleep thing on my husbands kindle instead. Will let you know xxxx
 
Hi NanaMoon! Good timing, I had just logged on to check in with everyone. ;-) I'm sorry you're soooo tired. I tried the 'no nap' thing on purpose last week and didn't doze off @9pm as I wanted to, so purposely made myself stay awake until after 11 in the hopes that I would sleep well that night. I won't tell you what my results on that little experiment were, but hopefully it will work for you. ;-) On top of us being so tired, I think we put added pressure on ourselves by concentrating so hard on being able to fall asleep. That never really works.

I am a self employed caterer and have been working, on and off, since day 10 :-( I had no idea that recovery was this long or hard and did not plan well at all. I have a small company where I do all the cooking and I have a few servers that I bring in for my larger events to help. There is no possible way for me to not have to work right now. I've always done the brunt of the work for the company and although I'm leaning a lot more on my servers, I still do all the cooking and prep work. It's absolutely taking it's toll on my recovery and I get resentful sometimes that I am not able to fully take time off or have someone to fall back on (husband, boyfriend, etc....). It makes this all much harder than I think it needs to be. Oy, how was that for feeling sorry for myself? I have a rough 3 days ahead with catering jobs. I have been able to have my servers actually 'work' most of the events for me so that although I prep and deliver all the food, I don't actually have to stay and work so I can go home and rest and my servers just bring everything back to me when they're finished. Tomorrow and Friday though I have fairly large events that require me to be there..... I'm more than a little worried about that. I will be gone and working from 11:30am until 7pm tomorrow only to have to immediately start working on things for Friday. Not sure how I'm going to be able to get it done, but I don't have a choice. Luckily I don't have much going on this weekend and will try to keep things to a minimum for next week.

Tylenol is just Acetaminophen (sp?) tablets. They come in different strengths and varieties. The PM one is supposed to help make you sleep at night. They are 500mg strong, and we are told to take 2 at a time with no more than 4,000mg taken per day.

I'm actually going to try to take a quick nap (haha) before PT this afternoon. Even though I was able to sleep last night, I'm still pooped (aka very tired). I bet once you and I are able to actually sleep, it would take a week straight of dozing for us to catch up.

I'm glad you had a good day NanaMoon and I hoping that you get a good night's rest!! xox
 
Omg you do work so hard DogLoverx3 I can totally understand your concerns because I barely manage a non working day. I have to say I admire you. You are an inspiration to us all. I think as long as you stick to the mantra when you get in it may help. Gosh I so wish I could wave a magic wand and help you! Anyway why shouldn't you feel sorry for yourself you're allowed that one and justifiably so!!!! Good luck with your PT this afternoon please let me know how you get on xxxlove NanaMoon x
 
Well the nap thing went out the window. Instead I dragged a chair out into the sun with my laptop, ice pack and dogs for a little bit. I have a small backyard, but it's the perfect size for me to watch my dogs play and try to enjoy our very nice weather. Not sure if you know much about Arizona, but we have horrible summers. For 3+ months a year it's 110+ degrees outside (sorry, don't know the metric equivalent) and is just horrible. We all say that's the price we pay to have amazing winters. Today it's 76 degrees and sunny. Tonight will get down into the 40s, but it will warm right back up tomorrow. Arizonans are notorious whimps when it comes to cold. We think anything below 60 degrees is freezing! :whistle:

I missed where you said you were already taking the 'tylenol like' meds. Is there anything on the market there that is geared towards helping you to sleep as well? We have all different varieties of Tylenol - regular strength, extra strength, arthritis formula, sleep aid formula....so they all have the same 500mg Acetominephen but then each variety has added goodies as well.

Thanks so much for the pat on the back. I'm certainly not an inspiration, I'm just doing what I have to do to get by. I've always been a tad bit too independent which is probably a large part of why I'm still single (boo), but it is what it is. That magic wand thing sounds awesome though. Yes please! :heehee: I am going to try my best to stick to the mantra when I can and to take as many icing breaks as possible. I'm also going to have a long talk with my joints 'cause there's NO WAY i'm ever doing this again while I'm still working so they're going to have to hold out until I'm retired. ;-)

So what have you been doing with your days? I hope it's following the mantra as that's really the best thing for you. I think I read somewhere that it takes a full 6 weeks for the joint to even heal enough to start having to work on strength and such.

Well, I fear my break is over for now. Hopefully you're enjoying a nice evening. And one that makes you sleep very soundly tonight! I'll let you know how PT goes. xoxoxo
 
I don't know what the heck is the matter with my knee it's decided to play up. It's hot swollen painful and it's dragging me down. Oh well at least I have had a break from pain today. I'm lying on my bed legs well elevated and iced. Going to take strong meds in ten minutes xxxx chat later xxx
 
There are definitely days like that. It's not necessarily for any reason you can point to--other than overdoing. Your mental blahs are partly pain meds and partly the energy drain you get while you're recovering. I hope you can get some sleep tonight and some nice naps.:sleep:
 
Back
Top Bottom