TKR Whole leg pain

Winnie70

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I’m 7 weeks post op. It’s gone pretty well so far but for the past 3 nights I have had tremendous pain. My whole leg has felt tight and sore and the whole leg aches, especially behind the knee. The only thing that gives me any relief is lathering the whole leg in voltarol and putting a hot water bottle behind my knee.I still find walking without aids difficult and limp. I guess I just want reassurance that this is not abnormal

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart, Thank you for joining us.

I am sorry you're currently dealing with pain. Have you been engaging in any new activity, exercise or physical therapy that may be contributing to the pain? The tightness is likely swelling and regular elevation and ice may help relieve that along with the resulting pain. Consider using both if you're not already.

As far as the limp goes, Here’s a tip -
Try heel-toe walking. This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe.
It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

Following are some Recovery Guidelines that may still apply. Take notice of the ICE and ELEVATE articles.

Hopefully with rest, ice and elevation your pain will ease. If it's a new pain and you're unable to attribute it to any physical activity, you may want to touch base with your surgeon's office for some reassurance or direction.
Stop back often as you're healing, we'd love to support you on the journey!

KNEE RECOVERY GUIDELINES

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Here is a visual of heel-toe walking
1670298055216.png

Here is a visual of heel-toe walking
1670298055216.png
@Winnie70
I fully agree with Heel Toe to stop a limp.
If you are mobile and can go to a store with grocery carts, push a cart counting heel toe. That works for me, plus you have some protection with the cart and people running into you.
Good luck and all the best.

I had a go today, I think it will take a bit of practice!

I had a go today, I think it will take a bit of practice!
I hope it's getting easier for you as you approach one month post op.
Happy One Month Anniversary and Merry Christmas too!
Leave an update when you think of us. We'd love to read about your progress.
:xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Exercise76
Recent bookmarks
Back