Guest viewing is limited

Which OTC anti inflammatory is best??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Translation here ladyj, by malt do you mean a beer, or a malted ice cream shake? I am assuming beer as you don't get a buzz from ice cream, but from as a former fatty here, I can have a big time ice cream addiction especially a chocolate malt...mmmm now I am hungry.:cheers:
 
For me, Naproxen (Aleve) works better than ibuprofen (Advil). My "cocktail" is two liquid-gels of Naproxen and one 650 tab of extended release acetaminophen (Tylenol) BID. On PT days I take two of the latter in the morning and slather a little Voltaren gel on the trigger-points that will get deep-tissue-massaged and add a 5 mg. Norco 1/2 hr. before the van comes to pick me up. I wouldn't take the Norco if I had to drive to PT (and when I take it I wait at least 4 hrs. before getting behind the wheel or cooking: knives, fire, and opioids don't mix). And I ice after sessions. So on a non-PT day I get 1300 mg. of acetaminophen and on a PT day 2275 total.

I like Diclofenac orally too, but it's Rx-only and my husband says that it's no more effective orally than is naproxen. My favorite NSAIDs were "Ansaid" (flurbiprofen) and the cox-2 inhibitor Vioxx (especially "back in the day" for dysmenorrhea). But they pulled the latter off the market; the former is Rx-only and even its generic is quite expensive and rough on the gut. I first encountered it at my GP's office when I once accidentally spilled melted butter & olive oil on my bare foot while making an omelet (don't ask), and to my amazement within 15 min. after taking the Ansaid not only did I have no pain but the redness disappeared from the burned area. It was just about the only stuff that enabled me to function during my period once I was too old for the Pill. IMHO, whoever first used prostaglandin inhibitors to treat menstrual cramps should have gotten the Nobel Prize for Medicine.
 
Mind you as far as buzz is concerned, as I said to the anaesthetist, I haven't come across anything yet to compare with a single malt, but I imagine I won't be getting any of that for a while.
:heehee: :cocktail:
 
Ladyj, I have to agree wth you on that one. Although, I have been given Bushmills by my grandmother for whatever ailed you----teething, croup, cramps, fell down and finally, lost in love!!! Kelly
 
Ladyj, did you take Tramadol for any length of time? I know the first time I had to take it, I thought, oh, this is a nice buzz and took away my pain. But second dose just helped with pain, no fuzzy feeling. Then I went off if for some time and again went back on and very first dose was the high feeling but just once. Kind of weird.
I'm considering taking tramadol for the first time and was wondering what the side effects are. I'm not interested in any weird feelings again. I hated taking the narcotics. Thx for your info.
 
I took Tramadol, and really, I never had any side effects. My husband sometimes feels a buzz from it, but I have never had that feeling.
 
Ladyj, I have to agree wth you on that one. Although, I have been given Bushmills by my grandmother for whatever ailed you----teething, croup, cramps, fell down and finally, lost in love!!! Kelly

Your grandmother sounds a very sensible woman.:happydance:
 
Yes, she knew what was important in life!!! She was Irish, hated the Queen!!!

she made bridal headpieces--I began beading them at age five myself. I grew up with Bridezilla in the house!!
 
My dad was in the Navy and often gone for long periods. So, My mom would drop us off at my Grandmother's---she was working constantly on bridal stuff and my grandfather was a curmudgeon!! I really loved him, of course. He taught me to cook and my Gram taught me to sew.

Now, I am a quilt artist whose husband does all the cooking!!
 
Hi all
I am about to complete week 11 this Wednesday. I go to PT twice a week and have now started WATER PT, which I would highly recommend if your OS agrees, it feels wonderful.

With regard toain meds, I am now only taking ibuprofen 600 three times a day. I've stopped taking Tylenol, because as strange as it seems, I was getting a ton of awful headaches with it. They have subsided substantially since stopping three days ago. Can't xplain it, don't understand it. I probably will start taking the tramadol which I have filled, but not started yet. I have to admit, I hate taking all these meds.

Anyway, with that in mind, I am curious to know if others still had a substantial amt of pain with weight bearing activities at this point? At rest, I feel pretty good, but find that standing and walking is limited to about 15 minutes. After that I can't take the pain!

I know I. Am getting a lot better, my PTs say I am doing great, I just thought I would feel much better at this point. Trying to build my stamina, doing all that I am supposed to, including practicing patience.

So, how were/are others at the 12 week mark? I know, we are all different, but it does help ME to follow others.

Thanks and happy Labor Day to all!
 
Hard to know about all this. I'm only four and a bit weeks out, and I can't say I am in much pain at all. I am down to 400 mgs of Ibuprofen and two Paracetemol a couple of times a day and I am not sure I even need that.
I am doing the excersises, and go out walking every afternoon now, just back from a short walk along our seafront here, which was fine. Tiring but not painful.
But..........................I had a bend of 115 degrees a couple of weeks out, and my knee isn't that swollen.
It is obviously just the luck of the draw.
My main symptoms so far, were extreme pain in the first few days in hospital, then just discomfort, total exhaustion, extreme weakness and nausea. We all seem to be so different.
Of course as I attempt to increase my activities and do more the situation could be very different.
I suppose we have to just play it by ear.
 
Poppet just pointed me to an excellent Australian site with info about NSAIDs and paracetamol (Tylenol)
broken link removed: https://www.nps.org.au/health_professionals/publications/prescribing_practice_review/current/analgesic_choices_in_persistent_pain

This quote specifically attracted my attention!

"Paracetamol is effective and has an excellent safety profile and so remains the analgesic of choice, particularly in mild-to-moderate pain.

Around-the-clock pain control depends on taking adequate doses regularly. Ask people who report insufficient pain control with paracetamol about the dose and frequency they have used to date. The recommended dose for immediate-release paracetamol is 500–1000 mg at 4–6 hourly intervals to a maximum of 4G (4,000mg) per day."
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom