Guest viewing is limited

Which OTC anti inflammatory is best??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somehow I suspect that most, if not all of the members here, have their liver checked at least once a year and usually twice. When you have a check up with your GP, blood work is usually done--and usually that includes a liver panel. And most of us have tried the various OTC drugs for pain and inflammation and know what works and does not work for us and if there is any reason we should not be taking any of them.

I knew about the 800mg dose of ibuprofen because at one time my hubby had a prescription for it and that was the dosage and it was for knee inflammation. But I did not know about using the combo--and it really does work very well for me at the current time.
 
I was one of those folks Jo talks about who never understood the proper way to take Tylenol. I tried just one tablet and....nothing. But the proper dose of 1000mg now works great on my little aches and pains. I am thankful to have learned a better way to use this over the counter med. I believe there are many folks out there like me who would benefit from knowing what can be done.
 
Of course that is correct!!! And telling someone an over the counter drug works for you is not exactly proscribing medication to people.
 
OK, Folks...just back from the doctor's. I asked her about the "cocktail" mentioned in the first reply to my question. She said that for me, that dosage and combination of meds would be fine 3 times a day. She doesn't like to exceed 2400 mg of Advil a day and that the limit for Tylenol is 4,000mg.not 3,000 as someone else mentioned.
I will give it a try. Hopefully it will help.
Thanks so much for the suggestion.
Laurie
 
Laurie, hope your "cocktail" helps you. And it's nice to be vindicated---we try to give only "good" advice. We don't want to endanger anyone's health. Take care.
 
Thank for that, Laurie. Actually I would most certainly agree with her that 2,400mg per day would be a sensible maximum for the average situation. Any higher doses should be prescribed by a doctor and only taken under his(her) supervision.
 
OK..so here's an update on the pain management issue. I started taking that "cocktail" 3 times a day a week ago. For the past 5-6 days I have had a headache that would just not go away. I don't know what else could be causing it so today I am not taking those meds and so far no headache. My knee pain is about the same with or without it so I guess it doesn't make any sense to continue. Oh well, I guess it is what it is.
 
At what point in TKR recovery would it be wise to move on to this pain killing cocktail, rather than staying on the prescription medicines?
 
I was done with percocet at 12 weeks and went to the BoneSmart "cocktail" three times a day--at breakfast, around 2pm and before bedtime. It's truly an individual thing. Some can go off the opiads sooner and some have to take them longer. Just be sure you have weaned off the opiads by slowly cutting the dosage and lengthening the time between doses.
 
This doesn't fit the description of the rebound headache. I had the headaches at the same time as taking the meds., not when they were wearing off.
 
your MD is right, it's what med works best for you. be consistent, don't try to chase the pain, it doesn't work
 
ljm, I would say that it was probably co-incidence. I've been nursing in excess of half a century and never heard of anyone reacting to paracetamol or ibuprofen provided they were taking it properly.

And Jennifer, your link says this which is far from a confirmation of "rebound headache"

While over-the-counter pain-relievers are helpful in improving headache pain, they must be taken with caution because they could actually make your headaches worse if they aren't taken correctly. The overuse or misuse of pain relievers, exceeding labelling instructions or not following your doctor's advice, can cause you to "rebound" into another headache.
 
I am not even four weeks out, but the co-codamol I have been given is making me really nauseous. It does work effectively as a painkiller though. What I am trying to do is to take the co-codamol once or twice a day, and if I need anything else having a dose or two of Ibuprofen and paracetamol.
This seems to be working OK, I am not in any appreciable amount of pain, and I can walk short distances outside without crutches. I just need someone to tell me if this is acceptable practice really.
I don't see my surgeon again for a few weeks, but I could consult my GP if what I am doing is not wise.
 
I don't see anything unwise about what you're doing. You're controlling your pain with what seems very reasonable, if not bordering on minimal, amounts of medication. As long as your pain level is low (there's almost always some aching it seems), what you're doing is fine---not to worry.
 
Ladyj, unlike in the US, here our "go to" person regarding pain meds is our GP. What is making you nauseous is the codeine in the co-codamol. Quite a few people react to codeine that way. I suggest you stop taking it and just stick with the paracetamol/ibuprofen cocktail. If you need something stronger, see your GP about having some Tramadol instead of the codeine.
 
Thank you so much Josephine. I haven't ever had this reaction to co codamol before, but then I probably haven't ever taken so much.
So far today I am on the Bonesmart Cocktail and I am feeling so much better. if once I get more active I need something stronger, which is possible I will pop down and see the GP. I have had Tramadol before with no real side effects apart from feeling a bit spaced out!
 
Ladyj, did you take Tramadol for any length of time? I know the first time I had to take it, I thought, oh, this is a nice buzz and took away my pain. But second dose just helped with pain, no fuzzy feeling. Then I went off if for some time and again went back on and very first dose was the high feeling but just once. Kind of weird.
 
I took it for a week or three when I had the original accident in which I smashed up my knee.
Mind you as far as buzz is concerned, as I said to the anaesthetist, I haven't come across anything yet to compare with a single malt, but I imagine I won't be getting any of that for a while.
:yay:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom