Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection Whew!! it's finally done: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

I knew about not pushing to early, but thought that only applied to the TKR. Now that I've been 4 weeks post op and my knee has been locked full extension the whole time, I thought I had to start working on freeing it up. But if you're saying the wait also applies to having the infection and peg leg, no argument from me. I'll gladly wait and most definitely will refuse anyone...OS included...that wants me to start working the ROM again.
If your surgeon wants you to start bending your knee again, then it's OK to do so. Just don't try to bend it past the point where it moves from discomfort into pain. Gently, gently! At this point, slow and steady progress is what you should aim for.
 
Bob: I am new to your thread and am reading it all, but had to respond to this statement even though you made it a few weeks ago. I completely relate - I went to get a flu shot last week, and when the CVS pharmacist did the deed, I sat there and bawled. Like a little kid. She looked at me like I was nuts (which I am) (who wouldn't be after what we've been through) and asked me if I was taking any medications that would affect my mood. That brought me to my senses and I started laughing. Then I got out of there before she called the men in white coats.

My point is, thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings because it helps me see that my thoughts and feelings are not off base.

ML
Rest assured...you're not alone and glad my experience helped you some. Unfortunately for me I suspect that I'll have a bit of anxiety every time I face a needle from now on. Didn't faze me prior to all this though. Still have to deal with weekly blood work, so between those and the picc line, I'm anxious to be done with both.

Glad you saw your way through that blood work and found the humor. It helps to laugh at times after dealing with all the pain and misery we experienced.
 
I don't understand why these OS docs can't inject a little anesthetic under the skin before they mess with stitches. I often get "things" removed at my dermatologist's office, and she wouldn't think of doing it without injecting a little anesthetic under the skin. I had a terrible time when they removed my staples from my knees after my TKR's, because a couple of them were already enclosed by skin overgrowth, and they had to dig them out. It was horrible. Plus they missed one of the staples, which we only discovered a couple of days later when the steri strips came off. And the home health care nurse removed that one, after telling me to apply ice to the area for a few minutes prior to her visit so the area would be numb. I mean really, at least they didn't try blood letting. What is up with this stuff? Back to the dark ages, no pain meds, no numbing. . . . I'm just sayin'.
At the suggestion of my visiting nurse, I asked about using Lidocaine and was told no. No shots or creams allowed.

I know how those staples feel and extremely thankful mine were removed when I went for the emergency surgery., so I never had to face the agony of thinking about removal. I hated those things from the day they put them in.
 
If your surgeon wants you to start bending your knee again, then it's OK to do so. Just don't try to bend it past the point where it moves from discomfort into pain. Gently, gently! At this point, slow and steady progress is what you should aim for.
You make a good point, no sense in giving my OS reason to argue. But thanks to BS and its mantra, I won't hesitate in the least for speaking up when it comes to how much they want my knee worked now.
 
I believe no shots or creams are used because of an infection fear, Josephine would know for sure. Keep taking the ROM work slowly. When the OS says you can, just concentrate on bending the knee when walking and doing a few easy heel slides. I did find riding a recumbent bike was very helpful even though it took a few weeks to get a full revolution.
 
Hi Bob, how are you doing these days?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom