Bilateral TKR Where to begin??? Let’s start on day one!

Hi! Sounds like you’re doing very well! This is just my opinion but I really think the discomfort with the lounge doctor is swelling on the back side of knees. Try an ice pack on the bottom too. Sometimes I’d use the LD to elevate my leg kind of cockeyed on it for awhile, then after some swelling went down I could use it properly. Good luck.
 
Have you had a visit from the poop fairy yet? :chuckmarch:
 
@sistersinhim yes! We’ve become regular friends.

Another friend, (that’s a pharmacist), recommended a tea (Manasul Tea). My husband bought it for me at local Discount Pharmacy store in Miami, a box of 50 teabags for around $5. I just checked and it’s available on Amazon but at almost double the price.

Started drinking a cup in the early evening after dinner. Between that, 60-80 ounces of water during the day, the prune juice legacy from my hospital stay, and the daily Ducusate regimen... I feel great and regular!

Have a wonderful day! And hope everyone is blessed with a visit from the Fairy!
 
That is wonderful news! Getting that straight is a huge relief!
 
The Lounge Doctor is not always a perfect fit the first time. (Some people never do grow to like it.) I found it best to tuck my Lounge Doctor up close to my butt because I have longish thighs and legs in general. They fit best that way. Experiment. I hope it works out!

And yay for the Fairy! :)
 
Chuckling at the fairy visit..definitely identify as I had the same with my hip revision in 2015. Today at my pre op for TKR the pharmacist who met with me and the aneasthestist both told me to eat normal healthy high fibre food for the 3 days before surgery and use a stool softener so you don’t start with a problem before surgery. I think I will try it. Glad you are doing well
 
@beachy So far so good.

Was able to sleep 5 hours straight last night. Was able to get back in bed today without assistance. I had been able to get out of bed without issue. I just couldn’t get my legs up and over to get back in bed without assistance. Tried this morning and was able to do so. Taking “walks” around the house 2-3 times a day.

Find I need to “rest” (code for nap) after I walk around. My Fitbit says I’ve taken 739 arepa today..doesn’t seem possible.

Being catered to by the family. My husband has been great.

Right now my biggest complaint would be bruising on the backs of my legs and muscle tightness/twinges (left calf and right hamstring). Not sure if related to the 30 day regimen of Eliquis that I’m on. Asking the PA at my two week follow up on Thursday.

Taking one Percocet 5-325 every 3-4 hours and alternating with 1000 or 1500 mg of Tylenol. Doctor also prescribed Hydromorphone HCL 2 mg for pain that I haven’t used yet.

Have tried using the lounge doctor and the wedge at PT. Both cause me pain. Not doing anything that causes pain. I’ve 2-3 times during the day, especially when napping and go to sleep with the ice gel paks on.

Hope you’re on track for a great surgery and recovery.
 
That sounds wonderful! Really glad you’re doing well!
Pain is manageable I assume?
 
[Bonesmart.org] Where to begin???  Let’s start on day one! Two weeks plus one day Post Op update

Had my two week check up today with the OS’ PA. Some initial confusion, he thought I was 3 weeks post op and was concerned with my flexion but backed down when I pointed out I was only 2 weeks post op.

He said my extension was excellent but wants me to be close to 105 by my next visit on August 23rd or we’ll need to discuss MUA.

Said my knees were in much worse shape than they had anticipated from the X-rays and CT scan. That they achieved 120 degrees during the surgery

Insisted that I continue icing and elevating!!!

Wants me to start weaning off the Percocet (currently taking 1 5-325 every four hours) and increase PT to 3x a week. He said to start using my recumbent bike and sit with my legs hanging off the edge of the seat. He also suggested to start using my anti-inflammatory drugs every other day.

Overall I think it was good visit. I think I’m doing great! Getting positive feedback from family and friends

Picture is from yesterday 2 week anniversary!
 
Your knees look great! Incisional line looks good! Remember your knees are still babies. Time, patience and reduced swelling will bring your flexion back. Physical therapy three times a week is a lot. That is what I did, looking back , it was too much for me to tolerate.
 
He said my extension was excellent but wants me to be close to 105 by my next visit on August 23rd or we’ll need to discuss MUA.
Your knee will less than a month old and will still be an infant on the 23rd. An MUA should be the last thing on your mind. As your healing continues and your swelling goes down, that bend will improve. Since you had a lot of damage inside, a lot of work was done in there. That means your knee is going to need lots of TLC, not exercises or PT.
 
Last edited:
[Bonesmart.org] Where to begin???  Let’s start on day one! [Bonesmart.org] Where to begin???  Let’s start on day one! @sistersinhim totally agree.

I went to PT yesterday and he poo pooed the MUA suggestion and even said that my PA is known for playing the “bad cop” and espousing the doom and gloom spiel to patients.

My PT gave me an amazing massage and we did some stretches. Did some ankle slides but with my legs elevated and on top of a big ball. It felt nice to be able to bend my knees. No pain at all.

I am resting and icing and now able to elevate. This week has been the first time I can elevate on my Dr. Lounge without pain. These were all things the PA also said to do..so I guess he’s not such a “bad cop” after all.

I think I’ve had an amazing outcome up to now (knock on wood). I did all could prior to surgery to get ready and am doing everything that makes me feel better (not accepting to do anything that causes pain).
[Bonesmart.org] Where to begin???  Let’s start on day one!


Appreciate all the support and advice received. This is a great resource for all us.

This is Maroone..he’s finally comfortable enough with my walker to lay next to my bed again and keep me company.
 
What a pretty face! I know you're glad he's back in his spot!
 
Hey there!
Glad to hear that your BTKR recovery is coming along so well! Your dog is a cutie pie and faithful companion. Love your self-emoji too. Sounds like your PT is sensible and will help you without hurting you.
Keep up the good work!
 
Only a few days till my BTKR. Feeling quite calm about it.It has helped my resolve as the knees have deteriorated a lot these last few weeks, and now I use Canadian Crutches to get around outside, which makes a huge difference with the pain, and probably good practice for post op down the track!
 
@79newknees I believe that positive thoughts and expectations are almost self fulfilling prophecies. The state of calmness you have now will be a tremendous help.

I’m sure you’ve read many of the posts on here and the suggested articles. You have the knowledge to help guide you through your recovery. I emphasize the “your”. It’s important to measure it against yourself and not other folks on here. Everyone is different.

You’re going to do great! And I look forward to following your recovery.

Best,

L
 
@beachy thanks! I love playing around with my “Bitmoji” look!

Today is my 3 week anniversary! Keep reminding myself that this isn’t a race but a slow meandering walk through a garden maze.

Every day I feel a little better and am able to do something new. Last night I was able to sleep on my sides for 20-30 minutes...huge relief on my backside.

I can’t believe how quickly time has gone by since meeting with my OS on March 27th and here I am 3 weeks post op. Your surgery will be here before you know it.

Best,

L
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom