Bilateral TKR Where to begin??? Let’s start on day one!

I did all the recommended things and, even so, I had to send my husband on an emergency trip to the urgent pharmacy for a do-it-myself enema before the poop fairy visited me.
 
Day 4 post op (July 29, 2018)

Still in the hospital..they keep asking me if I want to stay and I keep saying yes! Wonderful staff and I love being pampered...

Feeling great had two walks today and the hospital PT told me he has never seen a bilateral do as well as mine. He was very impressed. I felt a certain amount of vindication knowing that all the hard word I did prior to surgery may be helping me post op.

Only pending issue is the lack of poop. The Caca cocktail (had two) the Cuban nurse gave me didn’t work. She also gave me a suppository yesterday afternoon....and it worked (partially).

The night nurse gave me another cocktail (Brazilian nurse) prune juice and OJ. He swore it would work. Did not work.

The day nurse today gave me another one (prune juice with some laxative). Did not work.

The night nurse just gave me another one, warm prune juice and apple juice.

I really hope to resolve this soon and before I go home.
 
Same way with me whenever I have surgery and opioids. Hence, stick o’dynamite.

Wonderful to hear how well you’re doing! Very encouraging.

Caca Cocktail what a great happy hour special. :martini: Cheers!
 
It took my system about a week and a half to get moving again. Surprisingly I was not uncomfortable. Or maybe the post op pain overshadowed any stomach discomfort.

For me, I space out taking things to help. If I kept trying different concoctions too close together I’d be afraid they’d all kick in at once! :yikes:

Just relax, it will happen when it happens.
 
If you can, just relax and be zen about your bowels. The gut is the most emotionally reactive of body parts and can get testy if it senses we’re upset. The more we want it to poop, the less likely we are to get it to do so. :bored:

One of the best things for activating the colon is to move around. Of course, TKR throws a wrench into the “take your colon for a walk” advice. Still, any little bit of walking you can do, to the bathroom or for a snack, will help stimulate your bowel. Every little bit helps!

Sounds like your knees are rocking the recovery! :happydance:
 
You said you did all the recommended things prior to surgery. Do tell what you did. Your early days recovery sounds great.
Hope it’s still going well!
 
From John Hopkins University Hospital.
1Cup prune juice
1 cup Bran (oat)
1Cup apple sauce
Take one tablespoon with a glass of water at night.
Good idea to freeze in ice cube tray, and just take one out each day to defrost before consumption!
 
Day 5 Post Op July 30, 2018

Was discharged this afternoon and made it home around 8:00ish

Came home with all my meds (were delivered to my room in the hospital by Walgreens).

Doctor said I was better off at home and that really the only thing that was going to help with the constipation was water and walking. He said to take off the bandages tomorrow. Can’t wait to see what my incisions look like. Will share a pic tomorrow.

I feel great. The knee pain I had is gone. I do have surgical pain but it’s totally under control and I know will subside and go away eventually.

I have my first PT (outpatient) tomorrow. I’m using the hospital PT facility. As a matter of fact I’m using the PT my daughter has been using (she had a complete ACL tear playing softball in March). She’s my inspiration..

I was concerned about getting in and out of the car to get home..but was able to do so with just a little bit of discomfort.

All snuggled in bed with my doctor lounge, ice gel packs and medicated. It’s nice to be home after 5 nights in the hospital.

Will update tomorrow after my PT session. Planning on whipping up the John Hopkins recipe tomorrow. Hopefully my husband will be able to follow directions.

Hope everyone is doing well!
 
Glad to hear you’re home! Not feeling that bone-on-bone pain anymore is pretty amazing, isn’t it? :happydance: Just stay on top of your pain for now and elevate as much as possible to get that swelling down. You’re doing great!
 
So this is day 6 of “poop watch”.
Should we start a pool?
My vote is for today. 2 pm.:rofsign:
 
Let's all pray for a good 'go' for 2atatime!
 
Day 6 Post Op July 31, 2018

@beachy @Jockette @sistersinhim no luck yet!

Overall a good first night home. Had some transition issue on the pain meds. At the hospital I was given 1000mg Tylenol and 10mg Oxy. I was sent home with Percocet 5/325. I took one and went to sleep..pain woke me up around 3:00am. Took another one and was able to fall asleep till this morning. Steel cut oatmeal and coffee in bed and then off to PT

Got every redlight getting to PT and by the time I got there my legs were throbbing. Took another Percocet and had a really good session. Bonnie my PT gave me an amazing message on both my legs. I could feel all the muscles in my legs relaxing. She took some measurements and came up with 60 on the left and 56 on the right.

Fortunately the ride home was short and I rode in the backseat with my legs fully extended. Made a huge difference. Quickly fed, medicated, iced and down for my nap

Took off my bandages..and the incisions look good. Better than I had expected. Trying to upload a pic.
 
Sounds like a good day! Except I lost the bet.

Keep the posts coming!
 
One week anniversary!

Good day! Took my first shower today! I was able to wash my hair. I feel like a new woman.

Napping a lot between meals (my husband has been great and brings a tray to me) as have been my kids (had a craving for coconut ice cream and my son went and got some for me)

I’m able to stand up and use the bathroom. Take this opportunity to get some xtra steps. Tomorrow is PT#2 looking forward to a relaxing message. Have a good handle on meds. Taking 1 Percocet 5-325mg every three - four hours. Icing and trying to elevate. Bought the lounge doctor I read so much about here and have not felt comfortable using it. Will try again tomorrow. I feel pressure on my knees when I use it (:

Keep the faith.. remember that we have different paths that hopefully will take us all to the same destination. Healthy knees!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom