Guest viewing is limited

when do you give up and surrender?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a tough decision to go ahead with this life-changing, but major, surgery. It sounds like you have a lot on your plate until July, but I hope you're able to schedule something for soon after. You have to love how others tell you to wait….but they haven't experienced your pain, have they? I'm one of the many legions of people who have experienced virtually total relief from pain after having TKR's. I remember well the pain of just daily living. Like you, I'm on my feet all day and was thinking I'd have to retire early. Fortunately (?) I'll be working for many years to come since my knees feel great! Good luck to you!
 
Today has been rough. Everything I have to do seems overwhelming. Everyday in constant pain. Hoping it gets better with therapy, exercise, weight loss, injections. Nothing seems to help. My back and hip hurt so bad. My knee feels ok and I get a little bit optimistic the first few hours of the day. I am exhausted and sad...scared for the future...
 
From the sounds of it, until your schedule will permit you to schedule a replacement and get through recovery, I don't think you're going to get much relief. Many the things you mention will provide a fleeting relief, but you won't find them satisfying.

I'm sorry you're in such a bad place right now.
 
Some of those things will give you temporary relief, but it's likely that you will continue as you are until your knee is replaced. It won't get better. (Sorry!)

Is there any possibility at all that you could re-schedule your work commitments, so that you can get your knee replaced sooner? Or are those July work commitments set in stone?

We recommend that you take about 12 weeks off work after a knee replacement, and then start back with half days at first. If you are going to be on your feet all the time at work, you may need to take a little longer.
 
@PolarBear60...thank you. I am having a rough day. When my surgeon said any time your ready we can do a tkr. I really didn't react, I was kinda like ok that explains this pain. I am full of OA And My Knee Pain Is real...He thinks I need a new knee. Now I am like Holy Cow I need a new knee... and later a second new knee. I am usually a glass is half full kinda person. I usually when in a corner rise to the occasion and keep a level head, but this makes me feel like I am coming uh-hinged a bit. Trying to keep it in perspective but running a restaurant and getting a new knee...don't seem to work together very well. I know things could always be way worse...and I am grateful that they are not. I am just overwhelmed.
 
@Celle...I wish it was. I would be half way done with recovery. I am trying to come to terms with the "it will never get better" part.
 
It will get better, but only after your knee is replaced. You'll be surprised, very soon after the operation, that you no longer have that awful bone-on-bone pain. It will be gone for good. The post-op pain is real, but manageable, and it gets less as you recover.
 
In your business, there is never a good time. I offer the example my graduate adviser gave me when he asked when I was going to schedule my comprehensive exams, and I replied it wasn't really a good time at work. He assured me there would NEVER be a good time at work (he was a retired military officer, so he knew what I was dealing with at work). It didn't take me more than a few seconds contemplation to realize he was, of course, correct. I scheduled the exams as soon as possible and got them out of the way. I never regretted it.

I know you have the commitments in May and July for your personal appearance. If you schedule the surgery for immediately after the May commitment, you're likely to be able to be personally present for the July event (but will need your staff to do 95% or more of the work beyond your smiling self, maybe in a wheel chair or a personal scooter, being there for your client). If you have to wait until after July, you're likely to get more commitments requiring your personal presence between now and then -- that's the nature of what you do.

Only you know what is right for you.
 
The title of your thread has the word "surrender" in it---and I would disagree with the "surrendering" part.

When you have had enough---enough pain, enough pills, enough braces, sleeves, enough cramping of your lifestyle---then you are attacking the arthritis and taking action!!!

"Surrendering" means to give in, and you are not! When you reach that point and say, "Enough is enough!", then you will take action, no longer wave the white flag, and attack the arthritis head-on.
 
Kinda like...kick arthritis butt!
Yep---by having a TKR you are attacking the arthritis directly and getting rid of it---and the pain and the dysfunctional lifestyle.

When you are fully recovered from the TKR, you will be amazed at how great you feel and realize, as well, that you have defeated arthritis.
 
We cannot live our life for others. A bride wants you at her reception--nice, if it works. She is not a complete sadist, so if you have to have surgery, perhaps you will not be able to be there---and your trusted assistant will be there. I know, I have seen Bridezilla in action in my own family---but a wedding is one day in a life---are you supposed to have months of pain because a bride wants you to be there???? Seriously????
 
It is less about the wedding...which thank God is next weekend. More about the restaurant week thing in July. I do need to be there for that. It is a week that can determine the fate of your next year of business and since I desperately need to be paid during my recovery I need to do that week and do it well! I will be scheduling with my surgeon in June for an early August date. I have made my decision. August and September are usually my slowest months...it should work out well. I until then with the exception of the week in July am trying to work shorter hours and nurture my knee a bit. Still secretly hope my arthroscopy helps....although not very optimistic.
 
I own a restaurant and have a big event in July that I need to be present for
My obligations to my restaurant and team prevent me from having surgery asap.
I also have to cater a wedding May 2 ...the bride expects me to be there...for that I plan on using my crutches all day and brace during service, as soon as they finish dinner I can leave.
Sweetie, no one is indispensable. What would happen at all of these events if you were struck down by a heart attack? Your great team would carry on for you, and would probably do you proud.

As you are now, you won't be able to give of your best. You'll be in pain, struggling around on crutches.

If you got your knee done now, you would be in less pain and would still be able to supervise, if you rented a wheelchair.
If you truly must be there for that May wedding, why not schedule your surgery for the very next day? That would give you about 8 weeks before the July restaurant event. You won't be entirely healed (I'd still advise a wheelchair), but you will be over the worst. You won't be able to rush around, but you will be on hand, able to lead and make decisions.
 
I thought about that but my surgeon needed 6 weeks roughly when scheduling, I m guessing pre-op test. And he is pretty busy....I have lived with it this long. It's just not quite as simple as id'e like it to be...to not be at my restaurant for a few months. I do have great people in place...but I do have to do some planning and have to have things situated in way...that If there is a glitch with my recovery I am prepared...so August is the soonest I can go. I am just thankful that the end or should I say new beginning is in sight! You are all so kind and Amazing. It helps so much to have your advice. It makes me less afraid and that brings clarity and strength. Xo
 
I agree that it seems you have made a good decision as to timing. I made sure that Icould ski again in December---and it was the end of the season, May when I had my surgery!! You will be fine. What kind of restaurant---there are a lot of good eaters here!!
 
It sounds like you are making a good, reasoned decision on your surgery instead of an emotional one. You can't predict a rapid recovery- I'm another who needed a little extra time to feel functional following TKR. At four months post op I was barely able to return to long shifts on my feet, but at six months I am feeling much better. Start preparing your home environment well ahead of surgery- there is lots to do!
 
And he is pretty busy
Most of these OS's who are doing TKR's and THR's are very busy---the first opening that mine had was eight months out for me!

It sounds like you have thought things out very nicely and will be able to get that knee done so that you can manage that restaurant business!
 
@skigirl...now that I have made my decision to go ahead and schedule I feel much better. My restaurant is a bistro . We specialize in sophisticated comfort food. Traditional fair with fun twist. Using mostly local ingredients... everything is fresh, nothing frozen. @Clipless I have begun prepping my home and lining up a bit of help. I appreciate the feedback and advice very much! Thanks all!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom