When did you turn the corner and start feeling better

Status
Not open for further replies.
@TTBONE I am feeling pretty good. Not doing much except sitting around or stretched out on my back sleeping. Hubby is waiting on me hand and foot (even gave up the chance to see Jason Bonham from Led Zeppelin live tonight, poor guy!) I'm bored out of my mind, and less than terribly comfortable, but I AM resting and that's what I'm told I should be doing. I was reading the risk of dislocation doesn't really minimize until about WEEK 16 - I'm only at DAY 13. Seems like forever before I can just forget and be "normal" - but considering I lived with pain for over 9 years, I guess I'd be unreasonable to expect a quick journey back to full health. How are you?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I've had a camping trip vacation set for a long time. All of my family and 7 kids are going. I'll be in a trailer, PT said I could go as long as our bed was high and everyone did the work. I hope I haven't lost my mind, I will only 16 days post op. No going into lake for me. Everyone wish me luck.
 
Sounds like you're doing well, @TTBONE . :)

Wow, camping, that's brave! I think you need to plan quite carefully; I'm guessing the PT hasn't had a THR her/himself, so might not realise there's more to it than just your bed height! If I was going away at/around day 16, I'd want to make sure of the following:
- Having my own bed; I can't imagine wanting to share with anyone for quite a while!
- Taking LOADS of pillows/cushions for elevating, raising seat heights, sticking under my knees, etc.
- Taking my toilet seat raiser.
- Checking the height of the step(s) up into the trailer/caravan (if relevant) and maybe taking something to make those steps smaller.
- Taking a chair to sit in outdoors that ISN'T a camping chair and that I could sit in comfortably without breaking hip restrictions.
- Checking there's an ice box and remembering my ice packs!
- Planning the drive so I could rest/stretch/walk every hour or two.

If you get it right it could be great fun, but if you don't it could be very uncomfortable or even risky.
 
Yep I am planning every thing and taking everything, thanks for the reminder of ice packs I forgot that. I have my own bed hubby not sleeping with me. Any other ideas let me know.
 
Hubby shaved my legs and we are packed for camping. I'm now starting OP PT next week. I do find my self over doing it and things start to spin a little. I've got to learn to take this as a warning sign. Doctor did say I lost 2 Liters of blood and they gave me one unit before I left the hospital. How long will it take for my body makes up for this? Also does anyone else have sore heels? Sleeping on my back all the time with the wedge is killing my heels. I will let you all know how I handled camping wish me luck. Doctor did approve of this as long as I don't go into the water.
 
I was wondering same thing about blood . I lost a ton.. My hemoglobin was 6.1. I got two liters in hospital and it jumped to 9.1 . Doctor said that was great and my body would get back to it's normal level on its own( normally 11.5) how long does this take? Curious about that too.





LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
I don't know the answer to that, but I'll tag Jo for her comments. @Josephine
 
You asked about sore heels. Very common... Comes from back-sleeping, of course. I was on my back for 6 weeks & developed a blister/pressure sore... Whatever you call it. Very painful & hard to heal (ha ha, no pun). Get your heels off the mattress while on your back: put a rolled towel or pillow under your calves so that your heels hang over it.
 
A liter of blood can take from 4 to 6 weeks to replenish. The average person only has 5.5 to 6 liters of blood (some larger people have as much as 8 liters).


Mercy1
LTHR 5May14
 
Doctor did say I lost 2 Liters of blood and they gave me one unit before I left the hospital. How long will it take for my body makes up for this?
A liter of blood can take from 4 to 6 weeks to replenish.
It depends what you're talking about. The blood volume is made up in a matter of hours but the various blood cells can take from 1-4 weeks to replenish.
Also does anyone else have sore heels? Sleeping on my back all the time with the wedge is killing my heels.
Make sure you have pads under your ankles to keep your heels off the bed. Or wear anklets of wool padding - only downside is they make you hot!
 
Tomorrow it will be 4 weeks since my THR. This past weekend I tried to go out and walk on my own. I walked and then would sit for a while then walk again. I did this for about 4 hours, and came home in tears. I was so upset since I realize I need a help with walking. I guess this is part of the roller coaster you all talk about. I am down to 1 crutch, and don't use it around the house much. Feel like I need to set goals each day to make it back to work in 4 weeks. How do you know if you are just being a baby about things and not really pushing her self. Also what is a good time to take my tramadol prior to PT, 45 min? One more thing how do I get that little purple sign right by peoples name that has THR in it. Well off to go to PT wish me luck.
 
Four HOURS of walking???!! That is much too much activity for someone less than four weeks post-THR. On the first page of your recovery thread, Jo gave you a link to an article on the recommended activity progression for recovering hippies. Here it is again, in case you missed it:

https://bonesmart.org/forum/index.php?threads/13187/

You really need to read this and take it to heart before you suffer a serious setback to your recovery.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
@TTBONE, I'll bet you are the kind of person who pushes too hard to "get 'er done"! I think that @Josephine's advice is excellent and I noticed that @alextgecat just posted where you can find that!
I am also 4 weeks post-op! I learned my lesson in physical therapy last week when I pushed too hard in two sessions! The voices of experience here are your friends. . .your body is telling you to rest when you get tired, stop when you feel pain, etc.
Not listening to my body has contributed greatly to why I needed surgery in the first place!
Be KIND to yourself. . . .


Mercy1
LTHR 5May14
 
@TTBONE. . . Absolutely driving! (2 weeks after surgery). I live in the country. . .I had to get back behind the wheel FAST!



Mercy1
LTHR 5May14
 
@TTBONE . . .I love it that your husband shaved your legs for you! I guess my husband will have to get the Kubota out to do MINE! Lol. . .looks like a jungle ! I just tell people it's the latest thing in France. . . .


Mercy1
LTHR 5May14
 
@Mercy1 did you have to have a blood transfusion? My hematocrit was 22 and they gave me one unit. I'm thinking that might be another hold back on me. That's great you can drive, I live in the bay area in Calif so its crazy on the freeway.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom