TKR What's happened to my knee?

Hi 19Nell62, I was reading your thread and was wondering how things are going for you now? I am at almost 12 weeks past TKR and have a popping/clicking sensation when I walk or bend the knee on the outside of the kneecap. I can also feel it popping when I touch the area during movement. It is sometimes painful when I overdo my walking. Has your issue resolved on its own?
 
Hi @19Nell62

I had a similar clicking pinching problem a month or 2 into knee recovery. Mine was a sudden pinching impinging feeling on outside back corner of knee. Felt as if some connective tissue was catching on or caught within my new appliance. It occurred only when I raised my knee to walk or go up steps, not when I would bend knee with foot flat on floor. It set back my progress also since when i reacted to pinching, it threw me off balance & sometimes I spasmed.
PT thought it was IT band or lateral hamstrings. Surgeon said it was gastroc complex. PT gave me deep tendon masssages. Also exercised with foam roller on floor. Also raised surgical leg up again wall to stretch tendons.
I hate to tell you but mine took a year to mostly disappear. Eventually my knee gained strength and the pinching did not bother my knee. After a year this pinching happens once in a blue moon.
The other follow up my surgeon did was a "dynamic" ultrasound which allowed the tech to check knee movements while I was moving...I went up and down on a step.
I understand your frustration. For many months I felt a setback and depended first on a walker and then on my cane for a long time with that sudden pinching. But eventually your knee does strengthen and becomes dependable. Hope your challenges will soon fade to just "memories" soon.
 
Hi @longisland -your post was encouraging even though I would hate to have to wait a year for some relief for all these sxs. I have clicking ,pain,and buckling.In addition have sciatica and other upper thigh pains.It’s been a long three months and needless to say not what I expected. I’m glad ur OS did the ultrasound for you at least you have peace of mind that nothing is wrong with the new knee. I’m seeing my Doc on the 14th and will bring my issues up to him again . At 6 weeks and said all of
My concerns was just the normal healing process.
 
Lindalu, as so many have reiterated, it is a year long recovery and sometimes longer. Many symptoms dissipate earlier than that but one times it takes longer. It’s just something you have to get through, tough as it is. Why look down the road that far? One day at a time.
 
Hello again. I am now about 5 1/2 months post tkr (10/02/2021). Scheduled to have my other knee done in October. I'm not doing too bad I suppose, I still have tendon/calf discomfort/pinging and vice like tightness. I have good days and bad days. It is much worse when I'm at work. I am a medical secretary so spend a lot of time sitting at my desk. I've been given a new chair, foot rest and am allowed to take regular walks, but some days I am in pain with swelling in the back of my thigh from the pressure from my chair

I wondered if anyone else has had this problem and what sort of cushion/support they could recommend. There is no option to raise my leg any higher, but I do keep an ice pack in our office freezer, which helps a little. Grateful for any advice. Thanks
 
Thanks bobcat931. I work in a hospital and have asked a few people, including physios. They've all come up with pretty much the same answer...give yourself more time to heal and for the inflammation to go down. Carry on with the stretching but don't over do it. Almost 6 months post op and it's still the same. I felt I had turned a corner 2 weeks ago but back to square one again. My foot now swells too if I sit for too long with my feet down. The recent heatwave made things worse.
I am sure it will all get better but it's going to take a long time and I really don't believe people when they say they're fully recovered at 6 weeks. Hope you are doing ok
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom