What are you doing to prepare for surgery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All good suggestions! I have bought most of these items- including a grabber to pick stuff up off the floor, and an electric recliner that I got for $40! I will re-sell or give to my mother-in-law when I'm done with it.
I also have stocked up on a few ice packs so I can rotate and comfy night gowns and pajama pants. I may be living in my dressing gown for a while.
Don't be embarrassed about your phone holder- it looks great! I can't crochet at all so your way ahead of me! I can't think of anything else that hasn't been mentioned. I bought a shower stool for $20 and I have a non slip matt for my shower just to be safe but no grab rails or anything on the shower wall. I did get a shower head that I can detach so I can use it whilst I'm on the shower stool- which was only $20 and hubby installed. I've been using The shower stool pre-op as I get so tired and still need to shower by the end of the day as it helps me sleep so it's already paid its way!


Candice, 29 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
@Mscant I had lots from my knee ops also except the toilet rails- I had used a friends commode frame but it's no longer available. I recollect that the only problem I had was carrying a cup of coffee from the kitchen when I was using a crutch or walker.
 
I have rearranged my kitchen so that there's a stool near the worktop counter. It means I can make a cup of tea and sit to drink it in the first few days and later on I'll be able to do a bit of cooking but have little rests on the stool so I don't tire myself too much. That's what I remember from last time - I would start cooking what I thought was a simple meal and halfway through I would be exhausted. :zzz:
 
So much to think about. All the little movements a person does with no mental thought, second nature. I'm borrowing my mother's walker, she's not using it. Dad finally convinced her to get one "just in case", she at times have trouble with her ankles. I've got a cane that's it so far. I don't have a recliner, have wanted a large size one so my bully girl Lucy can sit with me. Now with THR coming I really want one. The large body wipes I figure a medical supply place, right? I have slip on sandals, and as far as panties I figured I'd go commando.
 
The large body wipes I figure a medical supply place, right? I have slip on sandals, and as far as panties I figured I'd go commando.

You can find the body wipes at Target or WalMart stores, and on-line.
 
I just remembered a few more things that I would definitely pack 'next time' for my hospital stay. EARPLUGS! They made such a difference the second nite with drowning out the hallway noises. The person in the next room had a machine on that made weird sneezing-like noises that kept me awake. I was surprised that the nurse's station had earplugs, but next time I'll bring my own.

Also, I would bring some bladder leakage pads, as I had some minor issues after the foley catheter was removed. The nurse's station carried generic bulky maxi-pads, but the thinner ones designed for bladder control would have been better.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all - I'm 2 days from surgery and trying to do last minute prep. I thought that a while back I saw some other posts about what to bring to the hospital, but now I can't find. Can anyone point me to more info? Thanks!
 
One thing that was helpful for other surgeries that we all ready have and I will have to have my husband dig out of the attic is a rolling laptop stand. This would be good for eating at in the Livingroom. Similar to a tv table, but easy to roll out of the way.
Thanks for the reminder!

I wish I could just do this tomorrow!
 
In the last phases of "getting ready". Ordered the grabbers today .... had to make sure I had two so that there will be no fighting among grandkids !
Highly recommend a vacation as part of the "getting ready" routine. We have just had a very relaxing two weeks in Alaska --pain is pain wherever you are :umm:--- the mental distraction was wonderful. :SUNsmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom