Guest viewing is limited

TKR Well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did too. My compromise was to wait until 1/4 of the length was coming up and once half were gone I took all of them off. There wasn't much improvement in the knee's appearance though, Dr. Frankenstein was apparently the person closing!
 
He sure couldn't! As it heals it is getting neater looking though. It was quite a sight when the waterproof bandage came off though.
 
Hi and welcome to the form just read up on your thread. I have had some mishaps on steps. Haha I forget sometimes I've had 2 sugerys and walk wrong way. Or get up wrong way. Or getting out of bed wrong way. It's all a nightmare.

But a knee replace is a roller Coster. Full of ups and downs. But in the end it will all be worth it.

Best luck Angel.








FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
So far I am doing my own PT, Ive done the 3 week exercises Ive found on youtube...are there some exercises for getting the most out of my home PT? Workmans comp has me waiting still. I am doing the slide from a sitting position, knee bends, holding my leg straight between chairs...Ive also started stationary bike with the seat farther up so I dont have to much bend :yikes: I am still taking pain meds to be able to get thru the strains and pains.
 
Hi @Gio Dude glad to hear things are going well. My home PT has done a really good job with me. He has always felt, push but not to the point of pain, let the body guide you, go slowly and never do more than you should. Slow is better. I had my staples out yesterday and convinced them not to use the steri strips. They only want me to cover the incision when I go outside to protect the incision from germs. While inside the incision is bare. I hate steri strips, not only do I react badly to the adhesives, I hate the way they look as they start to fall off. Good luck with them. I was always picking at them. Not good!
 
My home PT was excellent as well, but, as has been said, in every class, someone's at the bottom, and they enter the work force in a variety of places. Home health is only one.
 
Im wondering coming up on my 30 day mark from TKR...are you folks taking the pain pills regularly as doc specified? I have tried to taper off and only take them when uncomfortable pain is happening, not trying to manage so much that I dont feel the pain. I want to drive so thats a factor.
 
Im wondering coming up on my 30 day mark from TKR...are you folks taking the pain pills regularly as doc specified? I have tried to taper off and only take them when uncomfortable pain is happening, not trying to manage so much that I dont feel the pain. I want to drive so thats a factor.
I'm in my 6th week after TKR. My pain pill is Norco 7.5 mg, and my doc didn't give me much direction on when or how many to take (beyond specifying the safe limits). He seems to feel that it would be reasonable to stop the pills any time I'm comfortable doing so. Sleeping is difficult, so I take a pill when I go to bed and sometimes another in the middle of the night. None during the day, and I drive.
 
The time to stop taking the pain meds is when you find you are forgetting to take them, instead of clock watching and hanging out for the next dose. Tail off gradually - don't go cold turkey. Either reduce the dose, or take the doses further apart. Your own doctor may be able to prescribe some step down pain medications that are not as strong.
 
Your body will let you know hen you no longer need them. As Celle said above, it's when you forget to take them that you can start tapering them off or stopping doses.
 
Im still requiring the pain pills during the night so I asked the doc for some ambien, I just want to sleep for a few hours without twisting and turning in uncomfortable pain...I tried going out for a ride with my daughter without taking a pain pill, it was torture on the way back home. , first time going out of the house and it wasnt a doctors appointment, felt normal :egypdance: Got in the house and setup the ice machine, elevated and took my medicine!
 
@Gio Dude absolutely nothing wrong with taking painkillers to try and get a good nights sleep. I take one, if necessary, if l wake up in the early hours. Just take things slowly and rest, ice, elevate and take your meds.
 
@Gio Dude and @CATSMUM it always makes me feel better to read that it's ok to take the pain killers. I know I'm only 3 weeks out, but I'm still awakened at night by pain and need to take the pain meds. It usually wakes me up about a half hour to an hour before I can take the pill, so I usually go for a short walk to the bathroom, then ice the knee while waiting to take the pill. Then shortly thereafter I go back to sleep. The only problem with all that is that I don't get a good night's sleep so I take naps during the day. I am still taking the meds every 4 hours during the day as well. Looking forward to the time when I can stretch it out, but I don't intend to push it.
 
The only problem with all that is that I don't get a good night's sleep so I take naps during the day.
You've put your finger on the vicious cycle confronting many of us: I take the forum advice and nap whenever I feel like crashing during the day. Therefore I'm not tired enough to sleep at bed time. Therefore I take my pain meds to put myself to sleep, and the cycle repeats. I'll post more about my daily routine on my thread.
 
@brianm Here's a prime example of what happens to me: Today Physical therapy came to work with me and all I did was yawn. My pain meds was due at 10 which was 10 minutes before he left. I took my pill. I tried so hard to stay awake but I couldn't and within minutes I was sound asleep. I slept for 20 minutes and then I was up. That's my routine. I rarely nap more than 20 minutes, then I'm ready to get up, take a walk, stretch, ice, whatever. Other than that, I'm feeling great. Today I even measured at 127 flexion. So, outside of some tightness and the healing that still needs to be done internally, I am doing great. The sleepiness, I guess, is just part of the healing.:mcoffee:
 
Well the sleeping pill didn't work, I took the ambien and hoped for the best but I woke up about 2 hours later in aggravating pain :flabber:... I read you shouldn't take them both, so I will shelf the sleeping pills till im off the pain medicine...It was a good plan to limit the dreaded Oxy's and I have during the day but nite time its the only way to get any relief, I did see where some used melatonin so I may try that :whistle: so onward into the night I go :chillpill:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom