TKR Well I did it ..

Hi folks . Thank you for your input, advice and good wishes. It helps so much xx
I’m on my 2nd full day of total resting. I do get up to go to the toilet or fetch ice but that’s it. I’m using the magnesium foam to massage and started on a full magnesium bedtime supplement last night.
I’m devoted to hydration ( more toilet trips tho).
Slowly but surely I’m relaxing. Although I think I’m still on high alert as I’m waking whenever I have a tight muscle feeling during the night.
But so far *touch wood* I haven’t had another cramp.
I have had some zingers tho. Little electric impulses through my knee and on the skin that’s numb at the side. These don’t hurt but do let you know they’re there !!
We had a good talk about it and I can see where I’ve probably overdone things. I felt so much better, much more mobile and less pain. I think I just got a bit zealous in ‘doing things’.
I’ve accepted that I need to go slower ( although I honestly felt I was going too slow at the time)!
Anyway all, including my PT assure me I’m wrong. So slowly slowly slower is going to be my motto when I start again.
I think I’m going to reassess on Monday and use the weekend to rest more …..
Hopefully I will have progress to report again soon . xx
 
It sounds like you've gotten the hang of it! Good going!
 
I hope your cramps have settled. I get them often - pre- and post-replacements. I've found a wonderful homeopathic by Hyland called ... wait for it ... Leg Cramps. Put a couple under the tongue. If you tend to get them at night along with pain they have a PM version as well. I swear by them. Available readily online, if you cannot find them at your local drug store.
 
I’m only happy to whisper this but …. I haven’t had any more cramps ** shhhhh.
I have been taking magnesium tablets and a magnesium muscle massage spray. Coupled with lots of quinine tonic water, it seems to have done the job.
My main problem now is trying to get rid of the tight feeling across the top of my knee, sometimes down one side and right across the cap. I have woken up with the feeling to that someone is holding my knee quite tightly! It doesn’t hurt and I am able to put weight on my leg now but it is stopping my flexation progress .
It’s getting me down because I feel so much stronger and able to move but it’s like a block stopping me going as far as I know I’m capable of now.
I’m being sensible . I’m exercising and walking a bit but pairing that with elevation and ice.
I’m just so frustrated by this I’m becoming quite the grump …
 
Oh I’m also a bit worried that when I see my surgeon on Monday , he’s going to suggest MUA . And I’m so torn about that. One the one hand I can see that it could be unnecessary surgery but on the other I’m tempted to see if it could be a quick fix. Cos the way things are going I’m not going to be able to return to work in September as planned !!!
 
Definitely read the threads about MUA here. It seems like some are happy and others not so thrilled with it. What I personally would say if Doc brings it up is “let’s reevaluate in 2 weeks” and see where you are. I am 15 weeks out and Just in the last 2 weeks made good progress on ROM (can kneel in table top position and start to drop my hips- Childs pose) Rom & tightness comes and goes- but it is starting to go more than it comes. I am bummed I stressed so much about MUA and funny thing is- my Doctor never suggested it. Only the PT and the PA discussed once when ai told him what the PT said I was my own worst enemy!!! Good luck and relax whatever you decide has to feel like the right choice. Trust your instincts.
 
My main problem now is trying to get rid of the tight feeling across the top of my knee, sometimes down one side and right across the cap.
What you are feeling is completely normal. What causes it is swelling. Even if you don't see it outside your knee, the inside is still swollen. There isn't a whole lot of room inside that keep capsule and a little bit of fluid will make it feel stiff and tight. Are you elevating at night? You need to, if not. Elevate the knee above your nose when laying down and above your heart when sitting up. That will help to send that fluid out of the knee.
 
@AngieM , do you know what your range of motion is?
It was 80 something when I saw the PT a few weeks ago … I was a few cms off where she wanted it to be with straight.
I honestly don’t think it’s improved since then and I am exercising it!!
 
am 15 weeks out and Just in the last 2 weeks made good progress on ROM
This has made me feel so much better. My husband keeps reminding me that it’ll only be 8 weeks this Saturday . Ty x
 
Are you elevating at night? You need to, if not. Elevate the knee above your nose when laying down and above your heart when sitting up. That will help to send that fluid out of the knee.
Do you mean all night while in bed?
I’m only elevating when icing. Which is about 6 times a day. For about 20 mins s time . And I’m only elevating above hip. I will definitely try the laying down elevating instead , so above heart.
How long would you leave it elevated for?
 
Icing for 20 minutes won't have any impact I afraid. Ice and elevate for 45-60 minutes several sessions per day. Icing and elevating at night is fine as well. Many of our members iced around the clock in the early days.
 
Thank you . This is great information. I will up the times and start elevating at night . Just reading this makes me feel more empowered . It’s the not knowing what I can do . Now I know x
 
I iced and elevated all night long. When, at about 6 weeks, I could lay on my side for a little while, I just pushed the elevator to the other side of the bed until I had to elevate my leg on it again. After about 4 hours I would have to refill my ice container and got up to do that. When I got back in bed I elevated and iced for the next sleep time. Many times I was sleeping in the recliner and had the leg elevator on top of the foot rest. I totally believe that icing and elevating like I did really helped to keep my pain and swelling down.
 
@AngieM Depending on how my day went and if I am sore, I either start my sleep off icing or if I feel good usually wake up mid night sleep achy so I turn the ice on. Have the machine set at 40min on 20 min off and sometimes I ice all night like that- still! I am Only icing 1-2 times during the day but I ice for 40-60min each time. I am not taking any pain meds including Tylenol anymore. I just try to listen to the body and ice and elevate if I feel tight/ sore /swollen.
 
It’s the not knowing what I can do
That's why BoneSmart is here!

Just ask; our staff will share their knowledge and other members will be happy to share their experiences!
 
@AngieM do you have a reclining piece of furniture? I do and I use a Lounge Doctor to ice & elevate. I’m twelve weeks and still ice & elevate. I‘ve been very achy and sore; humidity is heading in and I wonder if it’s that. I took this picture just a minute ago.

Marie
8AD30DF3-48E1-43C3-BA2B-88DB0CE6712E.jpeg
 
I do have a reclining chair but it’s not great for sleeping in. I sat in it loads at first but once I was feeling more mobile Hubby made me a fabulous pillow stack. Following the instructions on here. It’s working really well for me . It’s just been my mistake ( and desire for comfort) putting my knee above my hip and not my heart. Also I only have ice pads in freezer. I have a few tho so could easily change for another when one is not cold anymore. I’ve started rectifying all these things. So hopefully it’s not too late for it to have affect.
I kept my leg up last night. Odd sleeping on my back again but we’ll worth it if it works.
At least I feel I can legitimately ask my surgeon for more time if he does suggest MUA on Monday .
Thank you so much everyone. This site is AMAZING xxx
 
Back
Top Bottom