TKR Well I did it ..

AngieM

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
So here I am home after my LTKR on Saturday (21/5).
I can report the whole process of the actual op was nowhere near as scary as I feared. Although awake, with a spinal block, the sedation level was just right. Enough to make me doze off and to just be fascinated by the screen and muffled noises when I did awaken at points.
I used an mp3 with earphones to drown out the worse of the construction site noises.
My surgeon, after drawing a smilie on my leg along with the arrow, then proceeded to skit me for having such an old fashioned object ..
All staff were wonderful and made the whole process as smooth and unscary as poss!
Day 2 and 3 were the worse for me. The main problem being I was not being offered all the pain relief needed ( even though I had been written up for it).
The main confusion was that I already take gabbapentin , not for pain but for purtitis.
However it is a regular pain killer in that hospital . So they must have been looking at my chart and deciding I’d already had pain med.
after my brain fog cleared I managed to have a coherent conversation with a snr nurse, who immediately grasped the problem.
After being given the correct dosage of pain relief, I was able to attempt the physio stairs test on day 5 and go home.
Day 6 finds me struggling in the afternoon, after a smashing morning.
I am trying to work out if I’ve moved too much or too little on my crutches.
I managed some exercises this morning but swelling, stiffness and soreness in my knee and gathered fluid in both ankles ( I have permanent compression socks on from the hospital) has left me unwilling to do more than hobble ( crutches of course) to the commode and back.
I have elevated and iced loads but then felt the desire to sit up just before. So I have and my water retention seems to have gone down a bit.
So I’m left pondering what my body is trying to tell me.
I’ve had a few tears of frustration but accept this is going to be a minute to minute recovery on these early stages.
Oh well here’s to another decent nights sleep at least.

Jcx

Country
Well done you I hope your recovery goes ok. Take care Jcx.

Jockette

Staff member since March 2018
BoneSmart Staff
Country
United States United States
Hi and Welcome to recovery!

So now I’m scheduled to have a TKR on my right knee on May 21st.
Please confirm which knee was done.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Jockette

BoneSmart Staff
Country
I’ve had a few tears of frustration but accept this is going to be a minute to minute recovery on these early stages.

Here’s an article from the Recovery Guidelines, we have all felt this way! :console2:

ski_bum

Country
Canada Canada
I can report the whole process of the actual op was nowhere near as scary as I feared. Although awake, with a spinal block, the sedation level was just right. Enough to make me doze off and to just be fascinated by the screen and muffled noises when I did awaken at points.
You missed out on the good action. I was fully awake for both surgeries. Lots of humour during The Carpentry Work.

Susie-Q

Staff member since February 2022
BoneSmart Staff
Country
has left me unwilling to do more than hobble ( crutches of course) to the commode and back.

This is really all you need to worry about at this point. There's really no need to do any formal exercises beyond gentle stretches. There's plenty of time to worry about that later.

Are you on your own? Do you have a spouse or other help? Make sure you are taking your pain medications on schedule, don't let them wear off or you will have to play catch-up. This is way too early to think of weaning off them yet. Plenty of icing, elevating and resting/healing is the name of the game at this very early post-op stage.

Keep us posted on how you're doing! :flwrysmile:

OP
OP
A

AngieM

Country
Yes my husband is here looking after me so well. I know I’m very lucky I just have no idea how you would cope alone this incapacitated !!!

OP
OP
A

AngieM

Country

Here’s an article from the Recovery Guidelines, we have all felt this way! :console2:

Thank you. This is very helpful x

OP
OP
A

AngieM

Country
(Jockette said “Please confirm which knee was done.”)

I’ve had a Left TKR
and thank you for the links to all that advice. It’s just beginning to dawn on me just how long the road back to normality is x

Jockette

BoneSmart Staff
Country
Yes, this is a long road and few of us are aware of that going into this. But, you’ll feel much better in a couple of months, even though there will still be a lot of healing to do.

By the way, when you want to reply, rather than quoting the whole message, just go down to the reply box and type your reply. No need to quote if you are replying to the post directly before your reply. You can also mention the member you want to address by using the @ sign in front of their username (no space) and type your reply. Not quoting whole messages saves a lot of space on the page, and also saves duplicate reading.

If you want to quote just a line in a post, highlight that line.

At the bottom of the post you will see:

Like/ +Quote/ Quote this message.

Click the +Quote

When you get to the reply box, you will see where it says “insert quotes” Click that and it will put your highlighted area into your reply.

Happy Posting! :flwrysmile:

OP
OP
A

AngieM

Country
So here I am in day 10 ( I think!!).
Have worked a few things out .
Firstly the ibuprofen suppository I have of a night, that releases its power over a 16 hour period, starts to lose that power around 3-4pm the next day. So swelling and stiffness returns at that time everyday .
That’s about now, so I’m laying with leg elevated and ice on.
I elevate and ice regularly thought the day but have realised how important it is at this time.
I’ll also partake of 5mls of the oral morphine they sent me home with.
Consequently I find I’m much looser and in much less pain earlier in the day. So this is when I move more and do any exercise I feel like.
I decided against a regimented exercise routine very early on because it made me unhappy.
I’ve just ordered a kids skateboard to assist with moving more.
Had a telephone consultation with my PT and she was pretty happy with me .
I get my staples out on Sunday and have a face to face PT apt next Monday. So am expecting things to have moved on a bit by then.
Each day I can put more weight on my leg when I get up and I’m getting good at using the crutches.
All in all I’m feeling much more positive .
On a side note: I was being a bit panicky about which leg goes first when going up or down stairs. So hubby put post it notes up with ‘good, bad, crutch ‘ on the walls…. then we realised that was negative and not conducive with forwarding thinking.
So he’s changed it to ‘Norm/Repaired/Crutch’

benne68

BoneSmart Staff
Country
Hi @AngieM Sounds like you are getting the hang of this recovery thing! You mantra of ice, elevate and pain meds is spot on. Continue to take things slowly and to baby that new knee. Remember this is a year-long recovery, so you are still early days.

Your hubby sounds like a real keeper! :wink:

OP
OP
A

AngieM

Country
Had my staples out yesterday .
All 32 of them!
Bit gutted that she had to steristrip it because there was a tiny bit of gaping. Consequently I still haven’t had a shower . Hopefully all will be fine when I go back next Sunday.
Had a face to face apt with my physiotherapist today. She’s happy with my progress . Bending good. Standing good. Lifting leg good. Use of crutches good. Failing a bit on the straightening.
So, while I still have parts of the wound to heal, I’m laying off the bending and concentrating on the straightening.
She’s progressed me to using just one crutch in the house and given the green light to me sleeping on my side.
Pain is mainly under control and improving daily.
And I’m slowly getting back to pottering a bit round the house.
Although I am elevating and icing after any exertion religiously.
Hubby went back to work ( he’s a teacher and it’s exam season) today and is, I know , worrying himself silly.
But he needn’t because I’m feeling confident about moving around.
We’ve fashioned a tote back to hang round my neck, so I’m able to transport stuff. We’ve solved the hot drink issue by putting it in a flask and popping it in my bag.
All in all I’m feeling positive about my progress and actual felt that walking again was a REAL possibility today.
Don’t get me wrong, I’ve had plenty of down and was it worth it moments .
And, as I need the other knee replacing, if you asked me today, I’d say no. I need proof that it was worth this first… and that’s a way off yet.
Hope everyone else is doing well x

Jockette

BoneSmart Staff
Country
This is a wonderful report, except for:
Failing a bit on the straightening.

You are not failing at anything. You are just weeks out of surgery and it can take weeks to months for your leg to get straight. There is no “should” or any timeframe by which you should reach a certain number, we all recover on our own timeframe.

All those other things you are doing tell me that you are coming along wonderfully, don’t let anyone tell you different. :flwrysmile:

OP
OP
A

AngieM

Country
There is no “should” or any timeframe by which you should reach a certain number, we all recover on our own timeframe.
Yes, yes, you’re right. Still having this mental battle. It’s easier when you’re not in contact with the medics tho. Don’t get me wrong, I’m so grateful to them. But they have a certain job to do and they just want to squeeze you into their measurements.
I’m a bit achy today. So I’m determined to rest. x

kneeper

Staff member since January 2014
BoneSmart Staff
Country
And, as I need the other knee replacing, if you asked me today, I’d say no. I need proof that it was worth this first… and that’s a way off yet.
True, in the middle of recovery is not the time to think about the second. My first knee turned out really well. But even though I knew the score (about recovery would be like) when I did my second knee there were days...:heehee:

OP
OP
A

AngieM

Country
Hi all.
Hope everyone’s recovery is going well.
I’m on day 24 post op and it’s amazing to see how much my body has actually healed!
I had the steristrips off on Sunday and the wound looks very good and clean.
I was able to get my first shower yesterday and was so excited about it I sent a Round Robin out to family and friends. Who were also excited and happy for me
Im getting about on one crutch very well. I find myself pottering a little bit around a small area without it and then have to go back to collect it to move to another room.
Im sleeping more on my sides, which is better. But have had a few nights with that toothachy ache disturbing my sleep.
I find I'm useless the next day without a good night’s sleep. But that was the same before my op anyway.
Im starting to be more disciplined about my exercises and today, for the first time, I’ve gone upstairs every time I need the toilet. So hopefully that bloody commode can be put away soon . Well til my next knee is done anyway!
I’m pondering structuring my day a bit more cos I’m starting to get bored and a bit stir crazy.
Although every time I get a bit fed up and impatient my hubby reminds me that it hasn’t even been a month yet.
I’ve added a photo. Sorry if it looks gross but it may be helpful to see just how healed you can be in just 3 short weeks x 7D2E7FAC-4D59-4A47-9E70-F1222C72A926.jpeg

Susie-Q

BoneSmart Staff
Country
Ah yes, that first shower! So wonderful!

Be careful about overdoing it. When we start to feel better it's easy to do too much and then your knee will tell you! You are doing great! :flwrysmile:

OP
OP
A

AngieM

Country
Been thinking about the ‘downs’ … feeling bored and getting frustrated and tearful at times.
I’m very blessed with lovely friends and family. I also belong to a few classes.
They’ve all been so generous with gifts and gift baskets.
So I’ve put it all in a big box and am doing a bit of a lucky dip each day. To pamper myself and set aside good relaxation time.
This is todays

Attachments

• 42F197F2-007B-4019-A301-F765387F05F0.jpeg
    42F197F2-007B-4019-A301-F765387F05F0.jpeg
    191.6 KB · Views: 61

Samsrf

Country
@AngieM Lows will get better ❤️‍ enjoy the quiet, slow time. All too soon life will come knocking at the door again. I love the “lucky dip”!!! Brilliant idea!!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
avariciou5
Recent bookmarks
Top Bottom