Guest viewing is limited

THR Well here I am on the Other Side... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks @JustJeff :) A week on, my progress has levelled out a bit, so I can't do much more than I could do last week - extreme tiredness is still an issue! - but it aches less afterwards. Going for a swim this morning and a walk this afternoon. Both little ones, but exercise none-the-less! :)
 
The fatigue from what I experienced is the body channeling is energy into healing, not exercise. So tiny periods like you suggest are probably ask you can do for now. It gets much better just ahead!
 
Swam 19 lengths and did two sets of exercises in the pool, then walked a hilly mile. That's more than I've managed in almost two years, I reckon. :dubious: I'm tired but I'm not hurting or swelling up, so I probably got the amounts about right. :) And I'm really hoping it'll help me sleep better tonight! :flwrysmile:
 
I have a quick question, folks...
I'm 8 weeks+2 days out, and have started to find myself doing things that strictly speaking I still shouldn't be doing, because my surgeon imposes full hip restrictions for 12 weeks. For example, yesterday, I needed the bathroom while I was out, and sat on a low loo that put my knees above my hips. Today, I got stones in my sandals while I was gardening, and took off both of them to tip the stones out, before I realised what I was doing... So, my question is, should I concentrate and STOP myself doing these things? Or is the fact that I am doing them without thinking a sign that my body is ready?
 
I think it might work the sane as meds. If you forget and you're good with it, it was probably meant to be. (But what the heck do I know? )
 
Dammit, I think I might have trochanteric bursitis! :sad: I've had a busy few days: travelling to see a dying friend on Weds; swimming continuous lengths and walking further than intended on Thurs; resting Fri daytime, but then going to visit friends Fri eve and over the weekend... I had a good bed in their house while everyone else camped in their adjoining field, and took my own good chair, but still I spent more time than usual on my feet, and the field was very uneven and hard to walk on, even with both my sticks... Then to make matters worse, yesterday a dog jumped up at me, putting her full weight on my operated thigh and nearly knocking me over: it took my breath away and made me cry... By bedtime my leg was swollen around the knee and ankle; and this morning, although the swelling had gone down a bit, I couldn't do my clam exercises and side leg lifts properly. I came home and iced and elevated, but elevation started to hurt - which it has never done before - and ice doesn't seem to be working. I took 2 paracetamol/tylenol a couple of hours ago, and my regular arcoxia an hour ago, but the pain is still there, and bad enough to stop me from sleeping. :sorry:

The pain is continuous on the side of my thigh, around the head of my femur (or rather, where it used to be). It feels a bit swollen. It radiates round to the back of my thigh just below my scar, and on-and-off deep into my groin; it also throbs occasionally deep in my buttock, and above and below the side of my knee. I also have a bit of lower back ache... And I'm limping more, but I can still bear weight on that leg...

I'm thinking it's probably jarring and bruising, and I can probably wait a couple of days to see if it improves before seeing a doctor. Does that sound reasonable? Meanwhile, what can I do to help it (especially since icing doesn't seem to help)? Should I keep exercising? Or do less? Any advice would be welcome!
 
Hi @FionaW Gosh sorry to hear that you are in pain. The encounter with the dog must have been a nasty shock for you.I hope you don't mind me saying but it sounds like that you have being doing far too much activity for 8 weeks post surgery.I would definitely not do any exercise until you are pain free and the swelling has gone down as you risk making things a lot worse.I would carry on resting and icing and taking regular pain killers.I also think you should consider seeing your doctor.I hope you start to improve very soon.
 
How are you today @FionaW ? I hope that you are on the mend,
 
Thanks for your kind replies, @Kim22 :) I AM feeling better, thank you. I woke yesterday morning feeling very stiff, but with the swelling and horrible thigh pain gone, and wondered whether to go for a swim/sauna or go for total rest... I went for a swim, and swam for 20-25 mins continuously. Then I hopped into the spa pool and jacuzzi and gave my muscles a treat... And by the time I was finished, I felt much better. :) Today, I didn't swim, but I went for a walk, and was pain-free to the extent that I accidentally forgot my walking stick! I kept it short (1km), just in case, and seem fine. :)

I'm guessing (like you say) I just overdid it at the weekend... :blush:

I have to say it's tricky to find a balance and do enough but not too much, but I am trying! I am much less tired than I was even a week or two ago, and as well as walking/swimming/exercise I'm managing 'normal' things like shopping, cooking family meals and doing a bit of gardening without feeling like I need to go to bed afterwards! I am trying to make sure I walk every day, but if I do something like shopping, I then try to achieve a 'balance' by (for example) not walking the dog...
 
Hi Fiona, glad to hear you feel better. Sounds like you did a bit too much and the over- enthusiastic dog didn't help!
I do the same as you ( even at 6 mths) if you do something extra- sometimes something else has to wait for another day
Hope you feel even better tomorrow
Gill


Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2
 
Thanks @miaow27 :) I'm feeling pretty good at the moment, actually. I swam a mile during week 8 (over 3 occasions), so it feels like I'm well on my way to getting back to 'normal' swim levels. My aim is to be able to swim at least half a mile at least 3 times a week from now on... I also managed to get a dip in my regular summer swimming spot yesterday - with a little help from 2 friends and a kitchen step stool, because there is a wall you have to climb down from to get into the water! :yes!: Also, a couple of days ago I went for a walk and accidentally forgot my stick - and didn't realise I didn't have it for 10 mins or so! That has been quite a big confidence boost, although I still don't seem to be able to walk much more than about a mile without hurting... I'd like to be able to walk 2-3 miles occasionally, because that will open up all sorts of other routes to me, and it's beautiful walking country round here! I guess I just need to be patient... My exercises are getting easier too - I'm sure swimming helps - Last night, I did a couple of straight leg raises that got my operated leg about 50-60 degrees off the bed - almost as high as my non-op leg, which I haven't been able to do for several years! All in all, it's going pretty well... :)
 
Gosh, I have just realised that I haven't been here for almost 2 months! So here's a brief update, just for the record... :)

I'm almost 4 months post op (16 weeks today) and doing pretty well. :) I am still off work - my sick leave finished a couple of weeks ago, but I opted to take a further 4 weeks as 'normal' leave, because I wanted to enjoy the summer and the kids were still off school. I'm not looking forward to going back to work, and I'm a bit anxious about the fact that it's mostly a 'desk job' - my body does NOT like sitting still for long! But I'm sure it'll be fine once I get back into the swing of it... :sigh:

We went away for 8 days to Wales, and I did a good bit of walking - not long distances, but 1-2 miles most days, so about 10 miles over the week - and some swimming in the sea, rivers and reservoirs. Then home to a bit of DIY and catching up with friends... And more swimming... This has become a big part of my rehab - I have been swimming 30-40 lengths (750-1000m) 3 or 4 times a week for the past month or so, and it feels great. :)

I seem to have reached a bit of a plateau with walking. I can do normal everyday 'pottering', shopping, etc. without any problem at all, which is a massive relief after the year or so I had pre-op. But if I try to walk longer distances - anything over about 1km, sometimes less, I get pain and sometimes swelling at the back of my knee on my operated leg. I can push on to do a mile or a mile and a half, but it hurts, and the swelling stops me from bending my leg properly so gets in the way of each step... It goes away with rest, but it's a nuisance. I'm not sure whether it's a post-op effect or something to do with the knee itself - which is already arthritic... I have made an appointment with my GP for next week to discuss.

I started group physio at week 14, and have done 2/6 sessions. This is part of the NHS offer in our area, though I started later than most because of my hypermobility and because I had full hip restrictions til 12 weeks. It is reasonably useful, but I have to travel to the next town to do it, so it's a bit of a nuisance. With this in mind, yesterday I had an induction session at my local gym - at the sports centre where I already go to swim. I have never been in a gym before, and it was MUCH less scary than I expected! One of the personal trainers was very sweet and helpful, and spent an hour with me showing me how to use all the equipment, drawing up a little 'training plan' for me, noting down useful things like the numbers to make the seats the right height for me, showing me stretches and giving me bits of advice - including a bit of knee-joint protection advice I can't believe no-one has told me before! - i.e. to make sure my knee never goes further out than my toes when I squat or lunge. I have been again today and I am enjoying it :) It's amazing to think I am on my way to recovering the level of fitness I had before my hip started to play up - I'm now better than I have been for a couple of years. :)

All-in-all, I'm pleased with my progress, and although I still stiffen up and limp when I first get up from sitting/sleeping, I'm not having any other problems, and I can feel myself managing a little bit better every day. My incision has healed nicely; that awful crunchy pain has gone; I'm sleeping well; my muscles are getting stronger day by day... I can climb stairs reciprocally, climb ladders in and out of the pool, scramble up river banks (carefully!), ride an exercise bike (for the first time ever!), bend to pick things up... and I even had my first little (and careful) dance yesterday! 6-9 months ago, I was so disabled and limited in what I could do, and imagined myself getting more and more immobile and restricted day-by-day, so it's marvellous to feel myself now improving day-by-day. I feel blessed! :flwrysmile: I hope you are all doing well too!
 
So happy you are finally getting on with life @FionaW !
6-9 months ago, I was so disabled and limited in what I could do
It took you many months (years) to become so immobile. It may take that long to get that mobility back. But your plan sounds just great! Be sure you work with someone at your gym who understands your limits. At this stage you don't need a frantic personal trainer - more a health mentor. Please keep us updated!
 
Thanks @Jaycey :) I'm working mostly on my own, so I can work entirely at my own pace. I've been doing that with my swimming for the last 10 weeks, so I already know I can do it, in principle - though I know less about gym equipment. The trainer who showed me round and drew up my programme has a special interest in long-term health conditions and is the member of staff who supports people on the PALS scheme (an health/exercise scheme in our area). She seemed to have a reasonably good level of understanding: her first comment on hearing I have hypermobility syndrome was "Ah, so you'll have a tendency to over-extend; you'll have to be careful with that" - so certainly more understanding than most of the physios I saw last year! She's definitely not frantic, thank goodness!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom