THR Weird sensations and feeling of instability at times

Happy Five Month Anniversary!
I am wondering if you notice the aching after any particular activity...if so, your body may not be ready for that particular movement. It can take a full year to completely recover from THR and even longer for some and you're not quite a half year beyond major surgery. If you're going down the steps in the morning, straight out of bed, possibly try some easy / gentle stretches before descending stairs see if that helps.

Jumping rope is high impact as I am sure you're aware and great for elevating heart rate as it works muscles in arms and legs and burns calories, but it's obviously repetitive and can be jarring to your joints and body. I avoid it because since my THR I don't consider myself free of joint problems (osteoarthritis) and feel high impact and repetitive exercise may not be good for my ankles, knees and even my spine, posing a higher risk for injury.

If jumping rope has been part of your fitness routine and your OS gave you a nod to continue, you may want to mention your discomfort while engaging in this activity to him or a member of his care team and see what they advise, or just wait another month or two as your strength and stamina increases, then try again.
A great weekend to you, thanks for stopping by with an update. :)
@dnordo220

Thank you @Layla ! My OS gave no restrictions. Just listen to your body. Which I’m doing. When I go down the steps I feel like I’m carrying weights. My legs are so heavy. I will start to add in some stretching in the morning to warm up the body.

I can attest to complete recovery taking time. Everyone is different in how their body reacts to major surgery. We have big strides (forgive the pun) in the beginning and then more subtle changes as time goes on. I remember aches and pains that first year and a bit beyond. I just kept doing the "normal" stuff and would notice oh, that really does feel "normal" again. Lol. I really do believe gentle, consistent stretching did help but also just being patient with the recovering strength. If I pushed things a bit and I got those aches and pains, (just like when you haven't exercised in a little while) a bit of rest and icing would help relieve that and I'd be ready to go again. Don't get discouraged. Just keep reasonably asking your hip to keep resuming its duties and I'm pretty sure you will see it respond in just a little bit more time.

I didn’t start a new thread, since it’s only 1 per member. But, here we are again, 17 months later for Hip #2 Monday 10/16/23. Same day surgery. Uneventful surgery, left surgery center at10 am. Does day 1 start the next day or same day ? It’s either day 4 or 5 depending on how that’s determined. It’s Friday, I have very little pain, just some stiffness and a little sore. Last pain medication I took, other than Tylenol, was on Wednesday. Today I was able to dress myself, with my husband by my side just in case and I am ambulating much better with the walker. The cane is still not as comfortable. This hip is different than the other hip, my leg/thigh is very swollen. My left leg did not swell at all last year. Last night I had trouble falling asleep, I was very restless, and not sure if that had anything to do with the lack of a medication. I’m extremely bored, but I know I need to be off work, at least for this week. I will probably go back to work next week, I work remote, but probably only what I can tolerate.

@dnordo220 Feel free to start a new thread as it is one thread per recovery. We will move your first post op post to that thread.

I'll wait to post your recovery guidelines until you start that thread.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Becky56
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom