Guest viewing is limited

THR Weird sensations and feeling of instability at times

Going up and down the stairs, I guess you mean doing it the standard way can be done whenever you can
Yes. I catch myself going up the stairs the standard way and then stop. I was able to do most things two weeks after surgery. I guess I healed pretty quickly on the outside but the inside we’re still not healed and helping to protect the implant. The more I read them more than I think the dislocation might’ve been me sleeping on my good side even though I had the pillow between my legs. The morning of the dislocation, I do remember my body being more shifted towards the bed and off of the pillow. I appreciate your experience.
 
The morning of the dislocation, I do remember my body being more shifted towards the bed and off of the pillow.
Sounds like you may have crossed the midline in your sleep. In the early days that is a big dislocation risk.
 
You basically have to build up trust in your hip again--that dislocation destroyed your trust.

You might benefit from scheduling a meeting with your surgeon and/or making a call to your surgeon's PA or chief nurse.
100%. I’m getting my confidence back. I have talked to the assistant surgeon several times I have 24/7 nurses on staff as part of recovery. She told me basically what you’re telling me, if I want to take it easy take it easy but I have don’t have to. Day by day I guess. I just need a number in my head make me feel safe or a test like a CAT scan to show me that the tissues covered the implant. Lol.
 
Sounds like you may have crossed the midline in your sleep. In the early days that is a big dislocation risk.
I told my doctor and she said it would’ve dislocated at that time she doesn’t think that that’s the reason. Her exact words were “it’s either in or it’s out“. I’m really not sure and I don’t wanna find out again :)
 
I also woke myself up constantly snoring while trying to sleep on my back. I don’t think I slept much at all during the first two weeks. But by 12 days postop, I was able to get about two hours on each side befor needing to switch sides.

I just started very gradually with just a few minutes, trying several times a day and night, slowly increasing this until I actually slept two whole hours on my side.

Now at 3 months, sleeping on my sides is completely normal although I still like the pillow between my knees, which I did before surgery, too.

My incisions are high up on the front of both thighs, are only 3 inches long, and I have never even felt them so I didn’t have to deal with lying on a painful incision.
 
You're in one of the hardest parts of a recovery--after a dislocation. And hard mentally and emotionally--which of course connects to the physical.

You'll get there. Yes, you're probably going to be afraid along the way, but that fear should fade as the hip proves more and more reliable.

Hang in there.
 
You're in one of the hardest parts of a recovery--after a dislocation. And hard mentally and emotionally--which of course connects to the physical.

You'll get there. Yes, you're probably going to be afraid along the way, but that fear should fade as the hip proves more and more reliable.

Hang in there.
Thank you ! Day by day I’m trying to increase things while still listening to my body !
 
8 weeks and 4 days 3 post surgery and 6 weeks post dislocation. I finally am feeling somewhat “normal”. Last week I added my elliptical in, short spurts at a time and had minor normal twangs. I’ve been able to ditch the cane totally ( I was using it to keep people away ) Still so what stiff after sitting for long periods, but I’m trying to set reminders to get up more often ( I haven’t missed a day of work other than the surgery and the dislocation - so 2 days ). I was able to trim my toenails and paint them YAY! Yesterday morning I did my walk and actually felt great instead of feeling like it was a struggle. I am still not doing any lower body workouts other than calf raises. I’m still being very cautious with my upper body, making sure to modify my body positions, no kneeling or twisting.

Technically I’m discharged until the 6 month check in, but because of the dislocation, I scheduled a 2 month follow up from my 4 week check in, which is Sept 12. I want to see that X-ray !
 
Yes I too am amazed how well you are doing. Only missed two days of work!!! I really wouldn’t have been capable of any work for the first month at least. Unless I got a job as a mattress tester.

It sounds like you are doing all the right things. Keep it up!
 
9 weeks 4 days, post surgery and 7 weeks post dislocation. Each day gets better and better. Other than being stiff from sitting. I’m feeling much stronger. I can do most things, but I’m still limiting myself due to fear. Haven’t ridden my bike yet, but I plan on riding my stationary bike this week. My scar looks great, already a very faint line. As I do more, new, weird sensations pop up. Listening to my body.
 
:hi: @dnordo220
A belated Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you're feeling more confident as the weeks since the dislocation continue to click on by.

I recall feeling stiff after sitting too. Actually I still do sometimes if I'm sitting for too long, but it's not anything I can't quickly walk off.

Most often the weird sensations that occur are normal.
Small sensory nerve fibers are cut with the incision. These nerve fibers run from the inside to the outside of the hip and cutting them causes the hip to feel numb after surgery. It is a temporary sensation that normally resolves over a period of six months to one year post op. While healing you may experience sensations of tingling, pins and needles, itching, burning and even the feeling of a minor electrical shock. These are usually good signs that the nerves are spontaneously firing through the regeneration process.

We will add you name to the June Hip surgery list where you'll find the names of others healing right along with you. Enjoy the rest of the week and your time one the stationary bike. :) Stay in touch!
 
Everyone's different, but I'll share that I had stiffness (when rising from sitting) and knee tingles and even tingling in my feet up to six months. Literally at the 6th month mark, all that stopped! Abruptly.

I would say (just my thinking) don't let the tingling and weird sensations stop you from being active. Pay attention to the pain. That's the red light: the serious pain. Tingles and weird sensations are mild yellow lights.
 
@Going4fun good advice, as Im searching through the forum for a post that talks about leg feeling heavy. Lol. I need to remember but I did the elliptical this morning and I’ve been going up and down the steps normally so all that is relatively new. I’m wondering when would be a good time to get down on the floor to do core exercises?
 
You can try core exercises ... but be aware that leg muscles and thigh muscles are used in some core exercises (the body really is so connected) so those could get sore. Just start out extremely lightly--well below the usual intensity and duration and reps and so on. Then see how your body feels the day after and the day after that.

I think my surgeon's chief nurse cleared me for all kinds of exercising (except running and impact) at after six weeks. But she cleared me with the proviso: pay attention to your body and stop when you hurt! Which I very much had to do--even biking hurt like heck at six weeks for me ... and hurt beyond six weeks.

I think you can start with the assumption that you aren't going to dislocate again. So then the issue is that the soft tissue that was traumatized during surgery is still healing and will be up to a year and beyond (though you'll feel comfortable exercising seriously well before that).

Just start really slowly gently ... might even do several days without increasing intensity. There is a delay often between the exercise and the pain. The pain can hit a day or even two days later. And most people get in trouble when they start a new exercise and then quickly ramp up as they would have done when they were younger and when they weren't recovering from surgery.
 
Last edited:
Big victory ! I tripped and my hip didn’t dislocate
Scary! Guessing that offered you some reassurance though once you realized you were still upright.
Good news! Enjoy the holiday weekend. :)
 
The physio has discharged me and said justbto keep doing the exercises. Personally I think he should have kept me on as I still limp quite badly. Anyway the exercises do help with back pain. My operated leg still isn’t strong enough to go foot over foot upstairs, but hopefully soon with the strengthening exercises it will be.
@Holiday …. Since you mention that you still have a limp, I recommend that you give the OneStep gait-based therapy program a try. This therapy app has been tried and tested by our members and has proven to help with recovery and particularly with regaining a good, strong gait. Through our partnership with OneStep, BoneSmart members can have a 2 week free trial of the program and then a 15% discount on up to 6 months after that. Just click on the OneStep sidebar ad and you can read more about the benefits so you can see if this would be right for you.
 
Last edited:
Oh ok, thank you. I’ll have a look and see what I think.
Regrds
Gill
Sorry I can’t find the side bar adds. Please could you help?
I’m not very tech savvy
 
Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom