THR Week 13 Lateral Approach THR

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are a real trooper my friend! Had lateral approach for my RTHR - much easier recovery. Rest now - let the healing begin!
 
So good to hear you are out the other side, and all going well. Enjoy the sleeps and all the best for a comfortable recovery. Your posts are inspiring - thanks :)
 
:chillpill:finally able to concentrate for more than two seconds.:yes!: Second one done and feel much stronger than first time around. Doing well at home. Fears were unfounded. I appreciate all the support.
 
It is great being able to concentrate! In the first few days I read newspaper headlines and then lost concentration.

I had often said I wonder what it is like for my mother who has Alzheimers and I think I found out in days 1-3 !! It did quickly improve though x
 
@texasvet - 2nd hip done :wow: I hope you will continue your steady recovery. I have
looked at your progress from the first to the second replacement, and hope to
have a steady recovery too from only 1 hip !
 
@texasvet Well done on number 2 hip! All done and dusted! My second was also easier as well. You know the mantras! Happy healing!
 
:yes: One week gone by on hip2. I am moving around better still using walker, occasionally down to cane. Mid-thigh has most of my pain right now. Following mantras, only one emotional breakdown... mental exhaustion, too much thinking and 15April Tax Time. Paying someone to do it but still...too much mental concentration required:zzz:. I need to go back and read my own blog from hip one, probably some good notes to myself in there. Changed dressing everything looked good, staples out next week. Thanks to all who have stopped by to read about my situation and provide support.
 
Congrats on Hip 2 @texasvet Glad it's going well, I always read "Hip 2" stories with interest as I'm going to have to go there soon and like to think that it's less demanding than Hip 1 (on an emotional level at least).

I do bookkeeping and had 'tax' stuff in my early recovery too, so I feel your pain :heehee: I put all the figures from one business onto another business's tax return... realized my error before posting fortunately and used Whiteout all over the form to make the changes - trying hard to ignore the big red lettering at the top of it saying "Do Not Use Whiteout On This Form".... nothing ever came of it, well not yet:rotfl:, so I think I got away with it - I could do these returns electronically but I feel glad now that I don't as I would have hit "send" and no amount of Whiteout would have helped :snork: Should have taken a sabbatical, so I think the fact that you are paying someone short term is a really good idea... we have so little mental energy to spare early in recovery; maybe I'll make that one of my "musts" for Hip 2

Hope your healing continues apace

Donna :SUNsmile:
 
So glad all going well for your 2nd hip @texasvet
Tax returns are a nightmare without a THR...urghhh! Hope you continue with your great progress. X


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@craftdee funny you would say you think it might be less emotionally trying the second time. :snork: Since the time between my surgeries was pretty close -3.5 months between-- I think I knew I was going to be in for a bit of an interesting ride since I had just completed the first and was starting to feel good again. I thought-- what was I doing to my self to put me directly through the "whole" thing all over again.:umm:??? So once I got a couple of days out (from the second surgery) I got kind of jumpy about making the right decision, knowing the pain, rest, patience, and limited ability to be active--- were going to last at least 6-8 weeks. I didn't think twice about the first one, wasn't skittish at all. I rarely if ever have emotional breakdowns, so to have one the first week after the second surgery, and then admit it to all of you..........wow. So it might not be as emotionally "easier" as one might think.

I got a kick out of your "bad girls use white-out" post... At least you caught it before it was sent in. :loll:
 
Hi @texasvet ....Well!! After reading your post all I can do is hope we're "opposite" in ALL directions; I am very emotional most of the time, was extremely "skittish" (substitute "terrified") before first surgery and didn't wait until second surgery to have a meltdown... managed that in the first couple of weeks post first hip.... hopefully this indicates that I'll be nonchalant pre hip 2, and not have any meltdowns after :heehee:

I do have to have (well no-one "HAS to have" but you know what I mean) the right hip done - it's bone on bone too, it's really starting to arc up now symptom wise, but there's no evidence of the AVN found in the left hip - mind you they didn't MRI this hip when they did the left one, which was where the extent of it was found, hardly showed on the Xrays and was a "that might be worth a second look" on the CT scan that I had simply because I had a fall, waste of an opportunity if you ask me... but no-one did :snork:

I haven't rushed towards it either, for the same reasons you've stated; knowing how long you're out of the loop for... and the patience required :shocked: I was nowhere as disabled as I thought I'd be first time round though, so I'm actually not as worried as I was then. I have a tendinitis issue and to be frank THAT's what's holding me back.... not the fact that I feel so good, but the fact that there's still major discomfort in that hip area (well psoas and piriformis, so "area" kinda covers it :rotfl:) I a) wanted to feel "YES, that's the way to go, can't wait for righty to feel like this", which I don't yet and b) have that hip healed and forgotten about completely before I start the process all over, oh and there is a c)... "my" surgeon is on a Fellowship in Canada and doesn't return until January 2016 - he actually was a locum for the OS I dealt with for nearly a year while I tossed the notion of needing surgery around in my head, but I found him to be so personable that I opted for him to do the op and the rapport I had with him has me willing to wait until he returns to do the other hip... now if only the hip will wait I should be okay :rotfl:

It must have been quite distressing for you to have a meltdown if that's not in your make-up, sharing it with us all here is a "good" thing, very cathartic :yes: and when you see how common it is you don't feel so odd about it I think! Hope all is back on track now, sure it is.

Happy Healing
Donna:flwrysmile:
 
Week 2 complete for hip2. Can't change thread title anymore, not sure why. Anyways back to hip- Just felt kind of off for the last week, by off I guess I mean depressed and additionally having gut/bowel pains. I finally got out of the house (other than short walks) for the two hour drive to have the staples removed and wound checked at the two week mark, yesterday. I felt much better after this, partially knowing everything looked good and partially just getting out away from home. As for the gut/bowel problems, I tried all the usual remedies, and finally had to go off hydrocodone cold turkey to get things moving again. On top of that have had virtually no appetite for last two weeks. Once things got regularly moving again, I was able to restart hydrocodone for the pain, then was able to sleep again. And appetite is finally starting to pickup again. So overall outlook has improved, and I can actually look at things and realize I am only two weeks out from surgery, and shouldn't expect to be feeling back to normal, yet. Physically I am using a cane right now, and limp without it, as I can't properly bare full weight on the new hip yet.
 
starting week 5 for LTHR. This recovery is slower than the first. But no complaints, it's getting there, so trying to be patient. It seems the torn and repaired gluteus medius is the likely culprit for the slower recovery and a bit more pain than the first go round. Walking with a cane. Still have some weakness. Still icing couple of hours a day, and elevating, and resting. But am definitely getting tired of it. I want to do more, but know I need to take it easy or I will pay with a setback.
 
I was far more impatient after my second THR. You know what's at the end of the rainbow but the body is telling you to go slower. Weakness at week 5 - normal.
Can't change thread title anymore, not sure why.
I can do this for you if you like. Just let me know what title you want.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom