THR Week 13 Lateral Approach THR

Status
Not open for further replies.
How lucky you are to have such wonderful parents @texasvet....how lovely that you can help each other out!!
Sounds like you are doing well....nap time is just so lovely...I hated giving it up. Hope you continue to do well...xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
:kitty:Hello all. Day 7 and things are still going well. Pretty much what I had envisioned. Hubby helped remove the waterproof silver embedded bandage today. Took a nice shower, patted dry. Laid around a bit, then hubby replaced with new bandage. Which will stay on until staple removal, on 6January. Still taking pain meds one per 4 hours during day 2 per 4 hours at night. Weaning off walker, using only when I get fuzzy foot and feel I might need extra support. Otherwise using cane. Paying attention for proper gait while moving about. Still walking only inside. Might venture out slowly during this week. All in all feeling pretty good, with my two furry companions, piled up on top of me, assisting in my recovery. And thanks to my wonderful husband, for helping me out. :mcoffee:
 
Here's an update on the itching I wrote about right after I got home. It pretty much went away on its own. Skin was dry from that antibacterial soap so showering and lotions helped with back, legs, etc. Also for the trackers of anesthesia- I was looking forward to spinal, but learned the hospital/anesthesiaologist team did not do them for hip replacement. I was not trying to rock the boat at that point, let them know I get nausea and vomiting with general, and they told me they'd put two meds in the IV to prevent that. So I got the general, remember going into op room and put on some special Stryker bean bag table, being injected through IV and holding on for a couple of seconds and slipping under. Next thing I remember is being wheeled into recovery by anesthesia nurse and gently woke up saying it was over. No nausea, no grogginess, not even on oxygen. Got pain pump installed and then waited for a room to open up so I could move upstairs.
 
So glad they got the nausea sorted & that you are doing well. Sounds like you have just the right company too....!
Take care...Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Hoppy Nanny thanks so much for your support. You are always so pleasant:catbutterfly:. Hope things go well for you on your gall bladder situation.
 
@texasvet sounds like you are really making some progress there! Well done! So glad you asked about the nausea post GA. For some it can be miserable. Enjoy venturing outside - slow and steady!
 
Thanks @texasvet Hoping you have a great celebration & a fantastic 2015 with your wonderful hubby & furry friends! Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Had some pain this morning so got on the ice immediately after my assistant woke up and set up my cold therapy machine. Used it all day long and it helped greatly. Took short walk outside yesterday and today. They were great, sunshine and outdoors. Still feeling pretty good. Mobility increasing slightly daily. I can do minor sweeping floors, putting wood on fire, and minor meal prep. Walking around inside to keep cabin fever down, and of course resting, elevating, icing the rest of the time.:yes:
 
Day 15, staples removed. Slight pinch and minor bleeding of a couple of the staple sites. Cleaned up and covered with steri-strips which will fall off in the next week. Still feeling good, still taking it easy. Leg feeling stronger, but not enough to get rid of cane. Numbness in heel of foot is lessening.
 
All going well. That's good! You seem to be doing just the right thing....Yep..keep hold of that cane until that leg feels strong...it so helps with the gait ! Xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am so happy reading about your recovery!
I'm having a LTHR on the 19th and am hoping things go as well.
Your, (and others) recovery threads are inspiring and help remove some of the anxiety.
 
@badhipinak I don't have a bunch of direct followers, but continue to post because I know it helped me to see, there are plenty of people who had surgery and are doing just fine. Good luck to you, I believe I've read your posts, where you have to come to the lower 48 to get the surgery done. The travel part might add some extra stress for you so take it easy, take your pain pills to make travel more comfortable, elevate, ice and do your ankle pumps if you have to fly or sit around waiting on transportation. And don't forget the naps. Let us know how it goes, your posts will help someone!
 
Recovery continues, best of all there is not too much to complain about. Saw my PCM for a followup today, we discussed pain, medications, antibiotic for upcoming dental work, he looked at my scar (still a few steri strips falling off), and sent me on my way. My leg felt lighter when I woke up this morning. I have been waking up in the wee hours with either sciatica or IT band pain. Either way, pain goes down my leg and is most uncomfortable in my lower back. I get up and try to massage it out with a roller, do some IT band stretches, roll it some more, walk around a while, ice it, and lay back down. This usually does the trick to get rid of it. Pain pills don't touch this pain.
Still walking mostly with the cane, as I continue to limp, although less than previously, without the cane. Also husband watches me walk and tells me I was not bending knee at all and just flinging my leg forward. So I have been walking some steps (up & down) and specifically been lifting my knee some as I walk, more controlled, almost as SandyHarman put it, a march. Otherwise doing good, feeling fine.
 
Keep posting! I like to read how everyone is doing and go back and read my own to see how I have progressed in the whining department! Haha. Plus there is sure to be someone else with a problem you have had to deal with or just looking for support knowing they are not going nuts! Plus it keeps our spouses from having to hear the same thing over and over!
Have a great week!
Birdie53
 
@texasvet I love your posts! My surgery was a week before yours, and it's great to read a forward moving recovery! That IT band pain can really disrupt a night, can't it? It continues to be amazing to me how much is involved in our recovery here. I'm so happy you are progressing so nicely!

Lynn
 
So glad your recovery is going well @texasvet 'Doing well & not much to complain about " is great.
A lot of people complain about the pain down the leg....wonder if it's from the back & it's our bodies getting used to new way of moving & walking. Hope it eases off...I'm sure it will. It seems all these 'niggles' go away in time.
I'm sure those 'marching' exercises on the step will help.....xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Week 4 starts today. Seem to be having "Pain in the Butt" and some sciatica pain. I looked at the posts by Joe and @alexthecat on Piriformis stretches, but either don't have the flexibility to do most of them or they are painful. I still have a bad hip on the left side with no flexibility and I must admit the muscle memory of the right hip has it so tight from years of impingement that it is almost as bad as the left for flexibility. I am still icing, elevating, taking meds (HALF a 10MG hydrocodone and one tylenol 500) 3 to 4 times a day, one set of 10 PT isometric (front thigh, back thigh, butt, and behind knee), and standing movements (toe tap type) front, side, back & 3 trips up and down 20 steps; and walking between 2000 and 3500 steps a day. The rest of the THR incision and deep inside incision don't hurt. I use a knobby roller on that area of my buttock and try to roll the pain out. I don't have the flexibility to get into a good position for stretches 2, 3, & 4 of alexs post, I can do number 1 modified (foot can barely cross over other leg)
[Bonesmart.org] Week 13  Lateral Approach THR

Alex is there anthing else I can try? Besides Massage or Chiropracter? Meanwhile back at the Bat Cave, here I am :ice:.
 
This sounds to me like normal post-op pain for someone just four weeks out from THR. My recommendation would be to decrease your activity level (including stretches and PT exercises), increase your pain medication back to the prescribed level, and take a break from stretching and using the roller.

Your pain is due to traumatized tissue because you had major orthopedic surgery less than a month ago. If you give your body a chance to heal, I promise you that these aches and pains will improve on their own in the coming weeks.
 
Alex is.spot on after that time I still.had log leg. I.went overboard on.exercises and it was v.painful. Pulled back and definitely improved. You think you.are doing good silly motto no pain no gain. Sheeeeeesh pain equals OW and.longer recovery. Hmmmmm there is a bat cave.for real near my work.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Ok- back to couch potato status, limiting stretching, the roller, & PT. Cut some walking (you lose track of time and distance when it's warm and sunny). Try some more patience. (I thought I was being patient, I am retired Army and sitting around doing nothing is not in my genetic makeup). GP is one told me to cut back on pain meds to half a pill (5mg/163mg), seems like they think you're a
crack head :yikes: if you need another prescription for it. I still have some of the original prescription, that was a 13 day supply if taken as written (this is 26 days later). GP pretty much told me he didn't want to write a prescription for hydrocodone, that I need to take the 2 hour trip to my OS to get that... with the new restrictions on written, no fax, no computer prescriptions for it. I'll start taking 1 every 4 hours again until I see OS for followup on 13FEB. All in all I really can't complain about recovery, hasn't been much of a "pain in the BUTT" until now :snork:.

Thanks for your words of wisdom, ole wise Nigel from Kinross @Legin Has the dog been going on walks with you to the Lake? She(?) is a handsome beast.:puppysmooze:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom