THR Week 13 Lateral Approach THR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well done.on.name backwards like me. Aye the dogs have.been out regularly and to.the.Loch. My.dogs come.back.to.call so easy.to.walk them as.rarely need a lead. Silly.hip wasn't.going.to stop their walks. Oh me wise -guffaw-. Old yup brains nah.one.braincell.called Harold. Ok painkillers should be available but.monitored. I still need but have extra issues with the.opperation. I'm same haven't.got.ants in pants I.have.a.colony and I'm.always. being told off seeeeeeee not wise. Glad you.are.resting

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@texasvet I feel your pain so much with the Piriformis and sciatic. I had both for an entire year. They tried PT and manual PT and injections. Ugh! Anyway--- where was I going with this?-- oh ya I just got a really good frozen ice pack and sat on it. Even when I played golf I would sit on it in the cart. It numbs that baby up at least for a little while! Just seems like rolling it ( have one too) or stretching can only irritate the muscles an tissues that have already been made angry with the surgery.
Hope it gets better. Will be thinking about you while I am walking around in the middle of the night!
Birdie53
 
:good-bad:Hey I made it to the start of week 5. Now the bad hip is definitely rearing it's ugly head, as the new hip has demanded more attention and walking. Feeling much better, walked about a mile, with cane on Saturday. Getting out of the house more now. Lower back/butt pain/shooting pain down leg is gone. I chilled out most of last week as recommended by AlextheCat, because of the pain in the butt. Did no PT whatsoever but walking. Continued to elevate, Ice, and take meds. Don't really need pain meds much anymore. Not using cane in house. After long walk the other day, leg is stronger and almost feels like leg length is adjusting, as it felt short and I assumed that's why I was limping. Limping much less now, will continue to use cane outside house, for now. Will continue Ice and elevation. Surprisingly sleeping has not been much of an issue for me. I often wake earlier than I did prior to surgery, but I've always been an early riser, so 0430 instead of 0530. Good reason to take a nap later. Either sleep on stomach or back now. Not too much laying on side, as op side feels like skin is pulling. And laying on the op side is like laying on a rock. So far, so good. Very happy with the results so far!:yahoo:
 
Grand nice one. Its looking like you are keeping a possitive attitude.
 
Sounds like things are progressing nicely for you. I am jealous of you that you could walk a mile when you still have one bad hip. Even 18 weeks after my first hip ....so one good hip one bad hip, I could only walk a couple blocks!


RTHR - Sept. 8 2014
LTHR - Jan. 19 2015
 
@PhatTxDiva yeah, doing pretty good. Once I get the other one done, it's ON!! But do feel so much better already, I am out of the self-loathing business.:dancy:
 
Week 6 update. Feeling good, walking around without cane. Still slight limp, feels like one leg is still a bit shorter (op side?). Get tired by afternoon, if I stay on feet working/moving all morning. Taking tylenol occasionally, I am off hydrocodone. The numbness I had in my heel and bottom of foot are gone. Only minor muscle pain in calf and thigh. No more pains in the butt. I see OS for follow-up end of next week. Will get the date for the left THR at that time. So far, so good. Great results. :vespa:
 
Start of week 7. I won't say I am back to normal, but feeling pretty good. I have been getting out in the nice winter weather in Texas, 70s day/50s night (above normal) and doing some outside maintenance work on our property. Lots of bending, lifting, walking. I can do this for about 3 hours then get tired and have to eat lunch and rest, then one more hour and I need a longer rest. So not bad at this stage. One problem I do have is sleep anxiety at bedtime. I feel like I can't get comfortable, can't settle the body down and get it to rest. Of course I finally do get to sleep. I take a couple of tylenol during the day, and if I really can't get to sleep and roll around too long, I take half a hydrocodone (5 Mg). You'd think I'd be dead tired after working in the yard, but after an hour long afternoon nap... Hummm maybe that's why I can't sleep at night? I tried some deep breathing and clench/relax body mindfulness, but it seemed like it didn't work, I was still anxious/uncomfortable/couldn't fully relax. So I got up and paced, then got out my kindle and read, then watched some "how it's made" and finally was able to shut down and sleep. No naps today! And I'll take it easy in the yard. Maybe I am overdoing it? :scratch:
 
Maybe I am overdoing it?
I had that same unsettled feeling at about 7 weeks. It was more that I was so tired I could not rest. This energy drain can be quite a roadblock! Sleep when you can. This will all ease very soon.
 
Finally had a followup with OS. He prescribed PT for strengthening abductor, as I have a slight limp, especially when tired. The X-ray looks great, and he said that prosthetic should last for 30-40 years. Also scheduled the left side for 30
[Bonesmart.org] Week 13  Lateral Approach THR
[Bonesmart.org] Week 13  Lateral Approach THR
March. Here's the before and after of the right side.
 
Hard to believe 13 weeks have come and gone since surgery! Feeling good, finishing 12 visits with Phys Therapy tomorrow. Was able to strengthen, improve flexibility, and get rid of a limp, with the help of physical therapy. I did not start with a therapist until week 8, and they did not have me do anything to cause irritation to medius which was separated during surgery. I also worked on the left leg to strengthen, before THA on April 1. Same doctor, same approach---looking for same or better recovery and long term outcome.
 
Congrats! Hope you continue to do well! Isn't it a wonderful feeling? It changes your whole outlook when you feel good. I am going on 18 weeks and back to most of my normal activities.
Yay for us! There is light at the end of the tunnel!
 
Hip #2 tomorrow, have to admit, for some reason I am a bit nervous this time around. Not sure why, first one went pretty darn good. Same surgeon, same hospital, I want long term results and no LLD. I am more prepared, but more aware of the sights, sounds, and feelings. :ice::good-bad::prayer:
Well no time like the present.
He who hesitates is lost.
Strike while the iron is hot.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” ~ Mark Twain -

:biking::capn::driver::hiking::hog::realing::kayak:

See you all in the next day or so........... With a second new hip...... Let life begin again.
 
Hello Texasvet

You are probably being 'done" now so wishing you lots of positive vibes. In a few weeks and you will be reaping the rewards. I have only needed one side done and what I love is now planning and beginning to do things that I have only talked about!

Loved your quote "Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” ~ Mark Twain -

@NuMe2014 had her second hip done in Jan and her posts are very informative if you get a chance to have a look.

See you on the other side shortly!
Copsham x
 
@copsham thanks. I go in at 0900 operation probably starts around 1100 (5 hours from now). Waiting is the hardest part.
 
Just reading your thread for the first time, and thinking about you right now in surgery. Wishing you the very best. You will be a new and ultra bionic woman! Sending good thoughts!
 
All the best @texasvet ! We will be anxiously waiting for your updates.
 
Hi all. Day after surgery. Everything went well. Dr. Found torn gluteus medius, which he was able to repair easily, because he used the lateral approach. PT less trying this time around. Very sleepy, concentrating difficult. More later.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom