Guest viewing is limited

TKR Walking, skiing, bicycling

I was very late to using the bike, over a year after, but I was using (as you see from the link) a kiddie's bike where the saddle goes very low indeed, and can seriously help ROM well over 110 degrees. I'm certain the bike can be used very early, that's why I posted all this.

Here's the link again https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/rom-and-extension-stretches.13159/page-3#post-423701/

and....

[Bonesmart.org] Walking, skiing, bicycling
 
Pic below of my last frame (for a bud, before mitering seat stays) in jig prior to brazing. I finished the frame a couple days before TKR surgery.

With my current seat position (1-1/2cm higher than normal), it takes me a few minutes of warm up back & forth before I can do a complete rotation. I may try to bump up the seat another cm.

ETA: Image imbed not working. Here is a link to the pic: https://flic.kr/p/2ako1Yd

ETA2: Walking 18 holes of golf today -- my first round in 4+ months -- went well. I tracked it on GPS at 4.5 miles. Flat course. I started with 2 double bogies, then righted myself, finishing with an 82 w/ one mulligan. Not bad for 11 weeks after TKR surgery.

[Bonesmart.org] Walking, skiing, bicycling
 
Last edited:
My first bicycle ride today, 3 months post-op (to the day), 5km flat loop with seat set at standard height and (my standard) 175mm cranks. Knee still stiff with crank at top dead center but I'm getting there. (My estimate of 110 flexion in my Sept. 12 post was in error; it was probably closer to 95.)

My ride was a couple hours after walking 18 holes of golf this morning. I shot a 75, +4 on a par 71 course. My golf swing feels great. TKR surgery allows me to get to the left side!

I'm up to 7 miles hiking flattish, i.e., no steeper than 15% grade. I exceeded that slope on 4 mile hike Sunday with 1200' vertical ascent + 1200' vertical descent, which was overdoing it a bit.

Flexion progress is slow and gradual, but I'm on track to ski this season!

Request to mods: Please correct thread title to "skiing." The extra "i" was my bad. Thanks!
 
Skiiing now Skiing.
Slow but sure you will be ready for skiing.
 
@DIYSteve -i am really really impressed an encouraged by your post and the activity you are able to accomplish.
Gives me lots of hope to do these things again this summer (Australia).
Was feeling a little frustrated with only graduating finally to 1 crutch, but i know the small gains all add up.
Very happy for you :wowspring:
 
Gives me lots of hope to do these things again this summer (Australia).
Was feeling a little frustrated with only graduating finally to 1 crutch, but i know the small gains all add up
Kiwigirl, you are 3 weeks post-op? I went to one crutch right at the 3 week mark, and I was way under 90 flexion. That seems so long ago! You're on track. Hang in there
 
@DIYSteve thanks, I know you are right as week 1 seems like a distance memory an the changes are happening. Had a big day on my feet yesterday and leg was sore at end of the day.........first time raised and ice in bed for night.
Also the day i started the drop to 3 doses of panadol. No heavy meds for over a week now.
Thought for sure i had hit the over did it club. But thankful had a good couple of 4 hr block sleeps an feeling OK this morning.
Think I'll make the next couple days quiet ones just to make sure.
Keep up yr posts, they are inspiring and helpful.
 
I hit the 3-1/2 month post-op mark yesterday. Hopped on the bicycle this morning, intending a short ride. (My longest previous bicycle ride was 4 miles.) Knee felt good after a half mile warm up, so I kept going.

Finished with 23-1/2 miles. I ran into my wife at mile 15, who was bicycling 40 miles with friends. I rode home with her. After the ride, I checked my flexion in the mirror, looking better than ever.

So far, I'm feeling good, i.e., AFAICT I did not overdo it. Onward and upward!
 
exceeded that slope on 4 mile hike Sunday with 1200' vertical ascent + 1200' vertical descent
@DIYSteve -how was knee during the descent?
I had no problems prior with ascent, but descent finally stop me
Finished with 23-1/2 miles.
@DIYSteve -Congratulations great ride. At this stage i am planning if all goes well on getting back on bike outside over the Xmas break -be about 3.5 months. Your progress is encouraging
 
-how was knee during the descent?
Pretty good. I've done the hike 3 times now. At the end of the first hike I had minor soreness on the outside of my lower leg, which I figure resulted from lack of use for several months. No problems on the second and third hikes. The descent went a bit faster with each hike. I used 2 hiking poles on the 1st and 2nd hike, a single pole on the 3rd. (For years I've preferred a single pole or ice axe because much of my mountain travel in the 30 years prior to knee failure was off-trail and I often needed a free hand on the scrambly parts.)

-Congratulations great ride. At this stage i am planning if all goes well on getting back on bike outside over the Xmas break -be about 3.5 months. Your progress is encouraging
Good luck to you, although be careful about comparing your progress with others. We all progress at different rates. I made the mistake of comparing my flexion (which still has a ways to go) with others.

I hope to be skiing over Xmas break :cheers:
 
My PT put me on a stationary bike about two weeks after out-patient Pt began, or about four weeks after surgery.
 
Sorry about the non-sequitur. For some reason the forum was showing a much earlier post as the last in the thread. I was attempting to answer that. My post makes no sense here.
 
Cycling was my main thing for last 6 years and never really affected my knee.....kept it flexible and I'm sure helped to disperse swelling.

Luckily i have been able to rotate on the exercycle since beg of week 3. Currently on third notch down for seat so try to do 2 x 15mins each day.

Plan to carry this out for at least another month before i will maybe raise seat again and start on adding resistance. For a month begore tackling the real thing.....even if up the street an back in beg
 
I was able to spin the PT bicycle @ 5 weeks because the cranks were much shorter, est. 155 or 160mm. My bicycles are set up with 175mm cranks, and it took me an extra month to spin those.
 
Cycling was my main thing for last 6 years and never really affected my knee.....kept it flexible and I'm sure helped to disperse swelling.
I bicycled a fair bit summer of 2017 and early spring 2018 (see below) because my knee problems prevented me from spring/summer ski touring and hiking/backpacking. I bicycled 100,000 miles by age 30, and pretty much stopped bicycling after 35 because I was spending my outdoor time running, hiking, skiing and mountaineering. During those 25 years of virtually no bicycling, I was into bicycles -- I built bicycle frames for my wife, myself and friends -- although not into bicycling.

In March 2018 my bad knee forced me to stop bicycling (after forced to stop skiing a few weeks earlier). I quickly learned that sedentary life was not for me.

It's so great getting back into outdoor activities again!
 
Back
Top Bottom