Guest viewing is limited

TKR Walking, skiing, bicycling

Your positive updates give me hope and motivation. Keep going!
 
Ski day 20 today, 27km XC classic. Lift-served alpine Friday and likely tomorrow. Knee a bit stiff after today's ski, but it loosened up a couple hours later.

Quick 6-month assessment: Stability excellent. Pain excellent. Mobility is pretty much the same as 2-3 years pre-op. Score +2 and 1 tie. No complaints.

Happy birthday MLK
 
Awesome report!! Does the cold weather make your knee stiff and cold? It does for mine!
 
Does the cold weather make your knee stiff and cold?
Not that I notice. Note that our PNW mountains seldom get as cold as Rockies or interior west.

Knee feeling good this morning. I plan to join my buds for some lift-served skiing today.
 
:wowspring:@DIYSteve I hope you know how much inspiration you give to all those TKRs out here who are dying to get back to XC or green-blue trail skiing!! Like me!! Thank you!! I had a dream the other night I was skiing and it was so beautiful and now I see your post!! Next winter I’m determined to get back even if it’s just on the bunny for one mid week morning.
Thanks :loveshwr:
 
@andpeaches, good luck on your recovery voyage and plans to get back on the slopes. I see you are an ARNP (as is my wife).

FWIW, I'm skiing fine on black diamond runs, although I avoid them when icy or sticky. I hope to hit some of my favorite really steep stuff at Alpental, our local expert hill, when it gets a good powder dump and there's good viz.
 
@DIYSteve You. Are. Amazing! :cheers:
Nah, not so much really. Mountain travel on ski and foot has been a big part of my life for 30+ years. I'm merely doing it now with new hardware in my left knee. I've met or corresponded with a couple dozen post-TKR skiers who are putting in lots of ski days with no problems.

Based on my experience so far, I will concur with the rule of thumb that most fluent skiers will ski fine after TKR surgery, but it'd be foolish for a novice to attempt learning to ski post-TKR.
 
Last edited:
31km (19+ miles) classic XC ski this morning. Super Bowl halftime = Sunday NYT crossword
 
@andpeaches,

FWIW, I'm skiing fine on black diamond runs, although I avoid them when icy or sticky. I hope to hit some of my favorite really steep stuff at Alpental, our local expert hill, when it gets a good powder dump and there's good viz.

As a fellow 62-year old skier from Washington State with a TKR, just thought I'd say hello. I used to ski Alpental regularly when I lived in Seattle, but changed to Crystal Mt. when I moved to Olympia. It is inspiring the read about your ability to return to high-level skiing. I'm just 11 weeks post-TKR, and have no intention to try to ski this winter, but expect to next winter. It's been several years since I've skied at all, due to the worsening knee arthritis that resulted in the TKR. So next winter when I start skiing again, I think I'll limit myself to less-challenging terrain. For those not familiar with Washington skiing, Alpental is not very big or well-known, but acre for acre is probably one of the most challenging ski areas in the country. I'll be looking forward to hearing about your first run down International assuming the powder dump and good visibility (both pretty rare in WA).
 
@LarryB, good to hear from a fellow Alpentalic. You picked a good ski season to miss: Snowpack has been below par all season. My buds reported Alpy chair 2 was nasty frozen coral reef yesterday. We have been lift-skiing mostly at Central/Silver Fir and Hyak.

My favorite skiing is post-consolidation touring in May/June/early July most years, possibly earlier this year. (Spring/summer touring window has been trending earlier for the past decade.) Current snow pack >5000' looking better, although nonetheless below average, per NWAC and Snotel telemetry. I'm hoping for some Feb/March storms to supplement the spring/summer touring pack.
 
Checking in after a long hiatus. Yesterday was 10 months + 4 days post-TKR and ski day #92 of the season. My wife and I did a strenuous 7-hour ski mountaineering tour with nearly 2 hours of off-trail hiking with some scrambly spots. My flexion continues to very gradually improve. We took turns booting up a steep snow slope to our final mountain pass, and I had a bit of trouble getting to the knee bend sufficiently to match my wife's steps -- great real-time PT! The "trouble" is more discomfort than pain.

Knee feels very strong and stable, but still feels tight, whether or not I exercise. Indeed, it seems tighter the rare day when I do not hike, ski or bicycle.

I have a bit ankle swelling and bruising today -- I surmise the edema and blood is from bending my knee under load a bit beyond comfortable flexion -- but no pain or discomfort. Should I worry about the bruising and edema at the ankle?
 
Wow, what an amazing recovery you are having! You are definitely an inspiration to those coming up behind you!
 
Back
Top Bottom