Guest viewing is limited

Waiting on doctor's appointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@MercysPeace My husband used shorts at the hospital so the nurses had easy access to the knee. If you can pull the legs up easily to mid thigh and if they are really loose (bulky dressings) they will do. Make sure you have a shower chair. You may not use it for long, but you will need it for a week or more. If you have a walkin shower great, if not make sure your shower chair will fit in your tub. If all you have is a tub you will need to install grab bars. You can get the removeable type to fit on the edge of the tub. A cane is something else that will come in handy.
 
at MercysPeace I got gym shorts, extra baggy so they would be able to see the knee and also for swelling. My hospital wants you to take comfy clothes as they say you are not sick so don't need to wear hospital gown. So you might not want something covering your knee. Some of the people on here says that having touch their incision they don't like. I am sure a moderator will be along to send you some articles. I think if you look in the library you may find an article about what to wear.
 
I'm a fan of loose shorts after surgery.
 
Yes THANK GOD I have a walk-in-shower and I still have my shower chair from when I had my microfracture / chondroplasty in 2008 :cool: . I also bought a cane at a local store that had them at a reasonable price..... I bought it in case my leg gets worse while waiting for my appointment and for after my surgery.

Someone told me that I should install the grab-bars that are professionally installed and not the ones that are suction-cup ones....what do you guys think?

So regarding the clothing, you think that loose gym shorts are better? I hate wearing shorts (hahaha) i was thinking of cutting some gym pants so they are like capris length.....but you guys know better......I guess loose gym shorts it is.....:bolt::bolt:
 
@MercysPeace Does your shower have anykind of grab bars in it? I would think suction-cup might not hold if a person had to put their whole weight on it. Can you just take your walker in the shower with you? That might work, maybe some one has tried it? You don't want to risk a fall.
 
No bars at all! I think i should have them installed just to be safe!!! I am by myself at home. When i have my surgery, ill be counting on family/friends & my 80 year old mom who is strong but can probably only help me with minor things but not anything major. I have even thought of finding out about hiring someone for a couple of weeks to help me at home.....not sure if that is financially possible though. Let's see. Have any of you gone to a rehabilitation facility after the hospital? Im going to ask my doctor about that. It might buy me some time not needing help at home. I have a heart defect so that might be better for ne any way.
 
Make sure you have a shower chair. You may not use it for long, but you will need it for a week or more.
:iagree:The shower chair was a big help for me---I would sit in the shower and let the hot water gently massage my quads---and this helped loosen the quads up.
 
@MercysPeace Can you just take your walker in the shower with you? That might work, maybe some one has tried it?

That was how an occupational therapist taught me to get in and out of the shower. It seems pretty secure for getting in, but be careful getting back out. The feet and wheels of the walker are slick (even on the dry floor) when they are wet.
 
The suction cup ones are not good for putting your whole weight on. I have a kind that is adjustable to fit on shower tiles that I bought before my first tkr. . I found it online at some medical supply store site--I think Bridge? It was pricey but considering I'm still using it 3 years later, I think worth it. It will stick for weeks to months at a time and is great for just having something for balance--but I don't put my weight on it. I also have packed it when I have had to travel (though it is a bit big) because sometimes those motel tub/ showers are kind of high when your knee is bad.
 
is it this one?
broken link removed: https://store.bridge-medical.com/products/tile-grip-portable-grab-bar
 
It will stick for weeks to months at a time and is great for just having something for balance--but I don't put my weight on it.
This is a great point---the suction cup models do not handle weight well and can shift or come off when you put stress on them. They are more for helping you with your balance and steadying you.
 
is it this one?
broken link removed: https://store.bridge-medical.com/products/tile-grip-portable-grab-bar
Yes, that looks like it. I about choked on the price but bit the bullet and have been happy with it. Again since I knew I'd need a 2nd knee done and have other RA issues I thought it was worth the investment. The way my tile around the tub is and the wall, installing a permanent grab bar wasn't going to work well.

But again don't try to hang on it.
 
I think I may have my handy-man install some permanent grab bars. I am not getting any younger and I will need them for the surgery and down the road...... I use this gentleman for handy work around the house and he is excellent and reasonable since I use him for allot of different building/fixing/painting/plumbing/etc...
 
I am so happy.... I GOT A RECLINER at a local outlet store that was having a 4th of July Sale....I got the $600 recliner for $250....I AM SO HAPPY I ALMOST CRIED!!!
 
I have a walk-in shower. I wasn't allowed to get the incision wet until my 2 week check-up. From that point for many weeks I sat for my showers as the fatigue was just overwhelming. The chair we got for me to use was close enough to the entry that I could support myself on that and the door frame so I never used a grab bar.
 
I have a walk-in shower as well and the chair i have in my shower can be placed where i need it. Maybe i dont have to invest on grab-bar installation?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom